You are next...

Any Juicers here?

I did a thread search but didnt find anything.

Anyone here have an opinion or actively use a juicer. With our recent healthy eating my wife and I are thinking of buying one but before spending the $100+ I wanted to get some opinions. I try, but I know I dont get my daily allowance of fruit and veggies in.

Most of the stuff I have read said that it is good for you, but if you want to lose weight stick mostly to Veggies and not Fruit because of the natural sugars.

A nice Broccoli / Cucumber/ Spinach drink though sounds like it would be loaded with nutrients but taste like crap. I would really like to start my day with a Strawberry / Blueberry / Apple juice but apparently that wouldnt be great for weight loss? Doesnt that seem picky?

It would still be better than going thru Mcdonalds and hitting up the dollar menu for 4 breakfast burritos, a hash brown, and a pop
    Retired 02/01/13

Haterade Distributor
    Yes, throw some non-flavored protein powder into the mix so you feel as hungry too. If you don't like the flavor of the veggies, use some strongly flavored fruits like pineapple or strawberry to drown them out. That way you get the nutrients but don't have to taste them.
    "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Quote Originally Posted by JasperST View Post
    I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Forum Member
    Weird.

'Cuz I searched "juicing" and came up with this: http://forums.officer.com/search.php?searchid=534328
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Bigfoot Country
    Yep, we hashed it out earlier. Basically, you're looking at two different kinds of juicers but I would start with a VitaMix. It's a powerful blender and you drink all the contents, typically fruits.

You are next...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
    Weird.

'Cuz I searched "juicing" and came up with this: http://forums.officer.com/search.php?searchid=534328
    I followed the link in your post and it said no matches found? The only thread I could find was about "juice fasting"
    Retired 02/01/13

Forum Member
    I just clicked on the link you quoted and the same search results popped right up.

:-/

The one about fasting contains the most info, though.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Forum Member

This is not the thread I thought it was going to be.
    "Character is someone you are when no one is watching."

Forum Member
    Life's full of disappointments.
    NRA Life Member

Forum Member

+1 on Vita Mix. Yep expensive but sooooo worth it. My whole family kiddos included love it. Kids ask for "smoothies". Use some yogurt, fruits, veggies, juices, protein powders etc...really awesome.

Forum Member
    I use the Jack La Lane Juicer and I like it. I juice 3 times day and I noticed the results of juicing right away. I suggest get a juicing book for recipes and to learn what the benefits of each vegetable and fruit.

I typically mix fruit and vegetables. Apples are the best when mixing with vegetables because it kills the taste of the vegetables especially beets.

LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG...
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcop97 View Post
    I did a thread search but didnt find anything.
    Title of the thread made me think of something totally different... Glad I was wrong!

- Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

now with lower sodium!!!
    +1 WillBrink

I was going to commend the OP's...openness
    fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true

Forum Member

Got a Breville last Christmas and have really enjoyed the thing. When I juice I typically do fruit in the morning and veggies at night. I started with recipes but now just make up my own ratios. Some advice: a little bit of ginger goes a very long way. I didn't think I would care for veggie juice at all but turns out it's pretty good.

I've lost weight using it without much change in my PT, but I have to admit I've got some weight to lose. A person close to optimal weight might not notice the same benefits I have. If you think you'll actually use it, go for it. They're worth it.

Spirit of '76

I looked into juicing and watched the very motivational documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead; however, after months of research I settled on a Blendtec package being sold at a great price from Costco. My lady and I use this thing everyday, seriously, and having the two containers is outstanding. The quality is great and the fact that it is a strong blender and not a juicer provides even more nutrients as we eat the entire vegetable or fruit (we do peel oranges and other such items). Not saying juicers are bad but I would rather let my body decide what it can take nutrients from than a man-made filter.

The amount of money you have to spend for a truly good juicer is much more than a quality blender like Blendtec too. There seems to be less mess and fuss with more options for soups, smoothies, coffee, batters, jams/syrups, bars and cereal, dog treats, dips/dressings, grains, etc.

Something worth taking a look at indeed, I believe.
    "I must do something" will solve more problems than "something must be done."
    - ATTR. to Bruce Barton