Forum Member

Never thought this would happen...

I am ahead of schedule with my FTO I believe and began driving last week (usually happens half way through phase 2 and I was only 3/4 done with phase 1 when started driving). Daily, my FTO does a report on observations and such. After my first few days driving my report has all pros, except one con....driving too slow...I never thought that would happen in my life. I do the speed limit, or less when we are strolling around the neighborhoods but when I see a violation I feellike I am doing it okay. The only time I felt I was going a little slow was when we were on a winding county road and I saw a violation and turned around on him but was cautious of the turns as we drive tahoes and I am not use to it and don't want to put us in a ditch, he also was never out of sight. My thought process is are the rewards greater than the risk? Cop Killer? I am going to chase until the wheels fall off...speeder...I will catch them, it just may take me longer to do it safely.
    "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
    -Sun Tzu

forum member
    Great to hear you are doing well.............keep it up. Remember it can't ALL be good marks because you won't have anything to work on to show improvement.

Don't worry...driving slow has it's advantages..you can see more and hear more. Catching up with a violator safely is the key.

You're thinking ahead which is good............so many drive above their abilities or the vehicles and end up crashing.

Have fun.......learn and be safe.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Forum Member

At my dept., driving too slow would never be officially counted as a negative. Your FTO might bitch or whine about it, but it's better than crashing. Fast driving is pretty strongly discouraged at my dept unless it's an officer needs assistance or homicide in progress or something. I bet you'll get faster as you become more familiar with your patrol area. I think driving is one area where it's not a good idea to get out of your comfort zone too quick.
    Since getting off FTO, I've caught myself driving way too fast a couple times on calls that did not really warrant it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by adeutch View Post
    Since getting off FTO, I've caught myself driving way too fast a couple times on calls that did not really warrant it.
    So did you give yourself a ticket?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by btfp View Post
    So did you give yourself a ticket?
    I wanted to, but I can't.

Sec. 545.365. SPEED LIMIT EXCEPTION FOR EMERGENCIES; MUNICIPAL REGULATION. (a) The regulation of the speed of a vehicle under this subchapter does not apply to(1) an authorized emergency vehicle responding to a call;(2) a police patrol; or(3) a physician or ambulance responding to an emergency call.

Forum Member
    I drive much slower when I'm looking for violations or stuff to get into. It's pretty tough to spot things when you're blowing by everything at Mach1. One thing an FTO told me when I was in training was, "You're going to need to learn to be more aggressive." So I did. He was talking about me trying to catch up to a violator to stop. Just remember one thing, due regard.
    "Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
    Watch your words, for they become actions.
    Watch your actions, for they become habits.
    Watch your habits, for they become character.
    Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Forum Member

We have a 75 mph interstate highway running through my area and on regular patrol, I do about 60 to 65 mph. I have more time to observe what is going on around me, I get to see more vehicles(which pass me), and it saves fuel. Also, I don't like being a butt-head but it also keeps traffic slower than 75 because some people really don't want to pass me for some unknown reason.

I don't see driving slowly as a negative, unless your emergency response is lacking.

Forum Member
    I have noticed that many of my fellow agents simply drive too fast. I'm sorry, but there is no reason to be going 95mph down the highway just so that we can get to Circle K and buy an energy drink. Yeah they make fun of me because I drive slower, but going 5mph over the speed limit is hardly slow, it's just not crazy fast. Then again there are a lot of younger agents at my station (early to mid 20's).

Forum Member

my FTO often said the opposite was his preference. unless you're going to a call and you're looking to get into something.. "you have nowhere to go, and all night to get there. roll down your windows boot."