Forum Member

Contradicting Gun Laws in VA

Hello,

I am a certified Armed Security Officer under the Department of Criminal Justice Services in Virginia. I am also 19 years old. In VA, I can't legally own a handgun, nor can I buy the ammo for a handgun til I am 21 years old. However, I am certified to use one while working.

I'm confused as to how I am able to get a certification as an Armed Security Officer, yet I am not able to have a handgun nor buy ammo for one. It seems a bit contradicting, especially since I believe most security companies require a security officer to have their own gun in the caliber they are qualified with.

So, how am I able to get around this or am I just stuck? I honestly don't know what to do about this. Also, I'm hoping I put this forum in the right subject thread.

Thanks,
    bag.0032
    Last edited by bag.0032; 03-28-2012 at 02:42 PM.

DAL
    "Official Non-Person"
    If you managed to get certified, you must have had a gun and shot a qualification course. Presumably, someone else lent you a gun and provided you with ammo.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Forum Member

I rented the gun and bought the ammo from the Institute/range.

Forum Member

You don't OWN the gun you use on the job, so that's your loophole.

Forum Member
    Never understood those laws myself. GA has a similar exception for LEOs.
    Last edited by westside popo; 03-30-2012 at 08:17 PM.
    Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
    President Ronald Reagan

All we ask is to be let alone.
    President Jefferson Davis

Forum Member

Not from VA myself, but are you sure the law states that you cant OWN a handgun until you're 21? The ammo part should be federal law, and I know under federal law you cant PURCHASE a handgun from an FFL until you're 21, however you can purchase one in a private transaction, or be gifted one prior. Something you might want to look into,

E PLURIBUS UNUM
    Quote Originally Posted by bag.0032 View Post
    I am also 19 years old. In VA, I can't legally own a handgun, nor can I buy the ammo for a handgun til I am 21 years old.
    Correct, at least as it pertains to purchasing a firearm from an FFL...as N003k alluded to, however, there may be different laws in effect in regard to private transactions...I'm really not sure. I would think all sales/transfers of handguns must go through an authorized FFL, but I honestly do not know

However, I am certified to use one while working.
    Correct, DCJS only requires a minimum age of 18

I'm confused as to how I am able to get a certification as an Armed Security Officer, yet I am not able to have a handgun nor buy ammo for one.
    You are able to be in possession of your issued weapon and duty ammo by virtue of your DCJS creds...you don't own (have) it, and you haven't bought it (state law mandates a minimum age of 21 for purchase of a handgun). Same goes for the ammo, as mentioned by N003k

It seems a bit contradicting
    Perhaps, but hey, you have a job

especially since I believe most security companies require a security officer to have their own gun in the caliber they are qualified with
    I have never heard of a security company placing any stipulations on what weapons you privately own

So, how am I able to get around this or am I just stuck?
    Stuck how? if you weren't qualified, you wouldn't of been hired...it's a non-issue

I honestly don't know what to do about this
    Do about what? You are gainfully employed and can both legally be in possession of your firearm on-duty, and, presumably, in possession of it while in route to and from work

The only contradiction I truly see is that if you wanted to get some range time in between qualifications you can't because you cannot purchase the ammo. See if your company will authorize you additional ammo at the halfway mark between qualifications. I doubt they will, it's all about the bottom dollar with security companies (any company, really), and ultimately they truly don't care how proficient you are with your weapon, as long as you can pass your quals.
    Last edited by _XD_; 06-14-2012 at 08:59 AM.

E PLURIBUS UNUM
    Re-reading your post, it looks like I'm only assuming you are employed as a licensed security officer and that is how you got your training, when in fact it may be possible you got the training on your own and now are looking for employment in the field.

If that is the case, I wouldn't worry about it...the company that hires you will (typically, but not always) issue you a duty weapon, and you'll be "legal" for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

Sorry if I assumed to much in my previous post...I should get a pass, I just got off a 12 hour midnight shift

Forum Member

Your situation is no different than that of police officers who are under 21 yoa.

Not being able to buy a gun from a dealer is not the same as not being able to own a gun.

Forum Member
    Check your state laws carefully. Federal law says you can't buy a handgun from a federally-licensed dealer but is entirely silent upon the subject of buying one from a private citizen. It also prohibits you from buying handgun ammunition but doesn't prohibit you from owning or using handgun ammunition. In most states (assuming you are not prohibited for some reason other than age), at age 18 it's legal for a private party to sell or give you a handgun and/or handgun ammunition and it's legal for you to possess and use it.
    "Son, you are a walkin' violation of the laws of nature...But we don't enforce them laws."

I am just a country boy tryin' to make some sense
    But I'd like to ask the Congress, I'd like to ask the President
    "Can ya tell me where all the money went?"
    We might not be broke but we're badly bent!

The Tractors -- "Badly Bent" from the album Owner's Manual

"Common sense. So rare, it should be a super power." Exodus 259

Forum Member
    I got my pistol permit in NY when I was 18, I bought a .357. When I was 20, I bought a Colt .380. About 3 weeks later the gun shop called me, and said we both were in violation of the law! I said how so, I have a permit...They said that a new law was passed, and you had to be 21 to purchase a handgun. I hurried down to the shop and returned it. I guess that was when the federal law was enacted, although at the time I thought it was the state.. Sorry, I do not have a solution to your problem, just thought I would share that story. That was about 20 years ago..

Forum Member

On your 21st birthday skip the bar and buy a gun...
    You'll be a lot happier the next morning I promise
    The sooner you understand that all your base are belongs to me the better off you will be.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by just joe View Post
    Your situation is no different than that of police officers who are under 21 yoa.

Not being able to buy a gun from a dealer is not the same as not being able to own a gun.
    Can police officers be under 21? Ive never heard of such a thing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TacMac View Post
    Certainly; that's why I said it. A number of states have 18 yoa as the minimum for sworn police officers. In Ohio all civil service positions are 21 while all non civil service positions can be 18 if that is what the hiring authority wants.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by just joe View Post
    Certainly; that's why I said it. A number of states have 18 yoa as the minimum for sworn police officers. In Ohio all civil service positions are 21 while all non civil service positions can be 18 if that is what the hiring authority wants.
    What's the difference between the two? And how would teens even be competetive enough to join the police. An 18 or 19 year old probably has not completed military experience or possess a criminal justice degree or have work experience, so how would they get the job.

It's Complicated
    Iowa Administrative Code Section 501..............Iowa Law Enforcement Academy

501—2.1(80B) General requirements for law enforcement officers. In no case shall any person hereafter be selected or appointed as a law enforcement officer unless the person:
    2.1(1) Is a citizen of the United States and a resident of Iowa or intends to become a resident upon being employed; provided that, with the approval of the Iowa law enforcement academy council, a city located on a state border that is within a standard metropolitan statistical area may allow officers to reside in an adjacent state within that statistical area upon written application by the agency administrator to the council showing substantial reason and documenting undue hardship. Railway special agents who are approved by the commissioner of public safety as special agents of the department shall be exempt from the Iowa residency requirement.
    2.1(2) Is 18 years of age at the time of appointment.

Tinfoil Hat Engineer
    What's the difference between the two? And how would teens even be competetive enough to join the police. An 18 or 19 year old probably has not completed military experience or possess a criminal justice degree or have work experience, so how would they get the job.
    While it is not that common- it happens.

And for what its worth- neither military experience nor a degree spells success as a LEO. I know of lots of folks with both who for one reason or another will never be cops, while I also know some outstanding LEO’s who started out before they were old enough to buy a beer and who never served a day in the military and at the time had no degree.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSD View Post
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt jon View Post
    While it is not that common- it happens.

And for what its worth- neither military experience nor a degree spells success as a LEO. I know of lots of folks with both who for one reason or another will never be cops, while I also know some outstanding LEO’s who started out before they were old enough to buy a beer and who never served a day in the military and at the time had no degree.
    Do they just score really highly on the civil setvice exams?

Tinfoil Hat Engineer
    Do they just score really highly on the civil setvice exams?
    Not necessarily. In cases I know they were at non civil service agencies (ones that did not have a “test”). These were with local PD’s and Sheriffs Departments.

It all depends on circumstances. Heck, my FTO was having coffee and the then Sheriff remarked how he needed a few deputies for the upcoming election. At 19 he was “hired” on the spot and needed to only show up with a .38 and a haircut. Granted this was in the late 80’s but it happens today.
    Someone I mentored years back was hired on just after he turned 20 and was sworn in four months later.

Again, not all that common these days but it does happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSD View Post
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Forum Member
    interesting
    Last edited by TacMac; 10-31-2013 at 10:26 PM.