Forum Member

Calculating LEAP and Locality

Hopefully this is the right place to pose this question. If not, someone please let me know. I'm curious as to how 1811 positions calculate LEAP and Locality pay. I have seen numerous announcements with different salary ranges within the same (GS) pay grade. Meaning, one agency will post a GS-13 with a salary range of $71k to $90k. Another agency (within the same geographical area) will post a GS-13 salary range of $96k to $125k. So my question is, is LEAP and Locality based off of your base salary? I.e. LEAP is 25%, Locality is 14% - is that 25% of your BASE (GS-13) salary for LEAP and 14% of your BASE salary for locality? Or is one of the two considered "base" pay? Thanks in advance for you help!

Forum Member

Double post
    Last edited by MIDeputy; 03-26-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Forum Member

It's pretty simple actually. To find out what your pay would be with locality, go to the following site: http://www.opm.gov/oca/12tables/indexgs.asp There you'll find the salary table with locality pay incorporated in for all areas that receive locality. If an area is not listed, then it probably falls under rest of US locality which is 14.16%

To find out your salary with LEAP, simply multiply the salary listed under the locale by 1.25. So for example, let's say you were a GS-9, Step-1 in Washington, DC. Your salary would be $51,630 with the 24.22% locality pay incorporated in. With LEAP, $51,630 X 1.25 = $64,537.50

I could get into the weeds on the why pay varies from announcement to announcement, but to keep it simple, follow the general rule which I outlined above.

Forum Member

Thank you MIDeputy. That was exactly what I was unsure of. I wasnt sure if your LEAP was on top of your base pay ONLY or if was on top of your base bay + locality. I greatly appreciate your quick response!

Forum Member

Yup, base pay + locality. Glad I could help.

Forum Member

Someone had once said that leap is calculated off base pay, not including your locality....such as:

Salary: $51630 (base) x 1.25, Then you take the difference between leap (25%) and your locality (24.22%) which in your scenario is roughly .75%, and add that .75% into your salary for your final figure. Is any of that true? Seems complicated, which lends me to believe its true

Forum Member

jtl323, based on what I found out prior to posting the question MIDeputy is spot on. Locality is part of your base pay and LEAP is 25% of your "base pay" which is base + locality. After running some numbers it makes senses. I had an offer in TX at a certain grade - got an offer in my current location (DC) (same grade) and the total salary is higher in DC, of course, due to the increased locality. After waking up my 4th grade son to elicit his math skills, I found the locality percentage difference is right on target. I have to caveat with the fact that I'm most definitely not a math major...

Forum Member

Base + Locality +LEAP= salary

As a FAM we get LEAP

Why so serious?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjock22 View Post
    Base + Locality +LEAP= salary

As a FAM we get LEAP
    When I was an 1811 that is how my total salary was calculated, too. That's how LEAP is calculated across the board for positions that get it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kimble View Post
    When I was an 1811 that is how my total salary was calculated, too. That's how LEAP is calculated across the board for positions that get it.
    Hey Kimble where are you now? If you don't mind me asking.

Why so serious?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjock22 View Post
    Hey Kimble where are you now? If you don't mind me asking.
    It doesn't take a seasoned detective to find that out, my profile gives the executive summary.