Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By tsfl89
  • 2 Post By FlyingPig1

Thread: Atlanta PD hiring

Forum Member

Atlanta PD hiring

Atlanta PD is working on filling 100 newly-budgeted positions, and the next fiscal year will likely have even more added. For more information, check out www.joinatlantapd.org

Forum Member

Are they going off of an old hiring list, or will they be developing a new one and processing from that?

EDIT: Scratch that, I guess I could have done just a little reading before I asked that question. Will be testing and developing a new list from what I understand.
    Last edited by bigb3558; 03-26-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigb3558 View Post
    Are they going off of an old hiring list, or will they be developing a new one and processing from that?

EDIT: Scratch that, I guess I could have done just a little reading before I asked that question. Will be testing and developing a new list from what I understand.
    Actually, there's no "list"....we hire who we want when they pass the background process.

Forum Member

Filling out an ap now

Forum Member

39 g starting? No thanks

Forum Member

I just completed all my testing and got my fingerprints taken at a recruiting event in Atlanta. Also turned in all required documents on April 30th. I'm looking forward to the next steps in the process!

Forum Member
    lateral program for out-of-state LEO's?

Forum Member

Any recruiting events going to be held near Philadelphia? If not, how many trips to Atlanta would I need to make throughout the entire process?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dannmann1050 View Post
    A little advice, though I know it's unsolicited. If you become a cop in the Atlanta area and you were a cop in FL, you'll be very disappointed. I'm not speaking about APD per se, just the way things are done there. I was a fed there after being a local in FL. I was on a task force with locals and saw how the legal system worked. It made me thankful I was a local in FL, as its MUCH more leo friendly in just about every way. I never knew how great I had it.

Just my 2 cents.
    dannmann1050 likes this.

Forum Member

Great place to learn how to police. Very good training, and experiences. I stayed 4.5 yrs and went to Feds.

Forum Member
    Great place to get started and get a wealth of experience. Especially if going FED, my experience is many of the best FEDS started as local uniformed LE.
    ...and is commended as being worthy of trust and confidence

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OIG1811 View Post
    my experience is many of the best FEDS started as local uniformed LE.
    +1....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AtlPDRecruiter View Post
    Atlanta PD is working on filling 100 newly-budgeted positions, and the next fiscal year will likely have even more added. For more information, check out www.joinatlantapd.org
    Does Atlanta PD still have the "no visible tattoo" policiy? I have heard that the Chief has thought about changing it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike18Bravo View Post
    Does Atlanta PD still have the "no visible tattoo" policiy? I have heard that the Chief has thought about changing it.
    Yes they do. At the recruiting event that I attended they took people aside and looked at their tatoos. They also had people disrobe to view the tatoo if it was covered to make sure it was not too derogatory. If you have a tatoo that is on your arm but can be covered by long sleeves, you are ok. Anything that can't be covered by long sleeves, they will tell you that you have to get it removed if you want to work for them.
    Last edited by toocoldhere11; 05-03-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by toocoldhere11 View Post
    Yes they do. At the recruiting event that I attended they took people aside and looked at their tatoos. They also had people disrobe to view the tatoo if it was covered to make sure it was not too derogatory. If you have a tatoo that is on your arm but can be covered by long sleeves, you are ok. Anything that can't be covered by long sleeves, they will tell you that you have get it removed.
    Not entirely sure about that.. I have a small tattoo on my left ring finger and they told me it was O.K. Maybe because it is so small?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dfc926 View Post
    Not entirely sure about that.. I have a small tattoo on my left ring finger and they told me it was O.K. Maybe because it is so small?
    Yea, that could be the case. They probably are most concerned with anything on the face or neck.

Forum Member

I went to the recruiting event in NYC on the 21st. Anyone know how long it takes to hear back? All my documents were turned in

Forum Member

There's a ton of info on the Atlanta PD hiring process all over this forum. Take a look around, it's really helpful. From what I've gathered it takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks for a BI to get in contact with you.

Forum Member
    Thanks TSFL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dannmann1050 View Post
    From their site....
    Does the Atlanta Police Department offer a lateral transfer program?

No, The Atlanta Police Department does not offer a lateral transfer program. All applicants must complete and graduate from the police academy in full term.

yeah, thats what I want to do...after 15 years as a cop, go back through a basic academy.
    dannmann1050 and beachcop05 like this.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diving Cop View Post
    39 g starting? No thanks
    Starting pay isn't really bad. Around here it's 34K but the base goes up to 108K top pay. I can't stomach the 56K top pay, I can literally make more as a manager at 7-11 and you shouldn't have to get a second job to survive as a cop.
    Last edited by LINY; 05-05-2012 at 06:43 PM.