Forum Member

Greetings from France!

Hello everybody, I'm Herastean, a french Department of Correction applicant and huge fan of law enforcement agencies all over the world but mostly U.S. ones, being local or federal.

I plan to apply for a visa in the next few years and settle in the U.S. and, if possible, apply for a LEO job in California, the state I'd like to move to.

Forum Member
    First you will need an immigrant visa (green card) then wait five years to apply for citizenship, then you can probably start working in law enforcement. Also, check now everything about French diploma equivalence... That's the hard part. If you don't have any, maybe the first step would be to enroll in the US with a student visa or choose a French university that offers joint program with US universities.

Forum Member

welcome to this forum, a new french member, i'm not alone cool
    however, a visa !!, to work, good luck !!
    l'espoir fait vivre

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Herastean View Post
    Hello everybody, I'm Herastean, a french Department of Correction applicant and huge fan of law enforcement agencies all over the world but mostly U.S. ones, being local or federal.

I plan to apply for a visa in the next few years and settle in the U.S. and, if possible, apply for a LEO job in California, the state I'd like to move to.
    Priére d'addressez-vous au le Police Attaché chez Consulat Général de France à San Francisco,

s'adresser postale à:

Police Attaché
    Consulate General of France
    540 Bush St.
    San Francisco, CA 94108

et vous êtes priés de régarder:

Le Consul General Romain Serman URL:
    http://www.consulfrance-sanfrancisco...php?article370

et envoyé par courrier électronique à:
    romain.serman@diplomatie.gouv.fr
    Tel: (415) 616-4903

Bonne chance,

Monty
    Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 03-24-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks for the warm welcome!

@Patrick Leo
    Yes I'm kind of nervous about the diploma equivalence thingy as I'm not highly educated (high-school degree in secratary stuff along with commerce) and basicly not really "made for school". I dropped out from college after a few months and since now been working in a few businesses and followed army trainings. For the visa, I'm already applying with the DV-lottery in hope to get selected and be able to move as I can't ask for relative/work/student visa.

@Philou
    Thanks! And really, congrats on your Major rank in the police, best NCO rank in France!

@Monty Ealerman
    Thank you for the informations, I didn't expected the french ambassy to be in San Francisco but more in Sacrament or L.A.! I checked the website already and this is quite interesting as they give us a few tips here and there for possibe future-residents.

Anyhow I hope to find answers to my questions around the forums as I'm quite curious about how to become an LEO and my chances as a possible immigrant.

Forum Member

Herastean:

Je suggest que vous examinez la possibilité de fonctionnement pour Police Française en l'Ambassade de France dans SF.

En Anglais:

I suggest you look into the possibility of working for French Embassy Police in SF.

Regards,

Monty

Forum Member

@Monty

Well I'd love to join the police but I can't because their vision requirements are too high for me, also I don't want to work for the gendarmerie neither as I don't really appreciate their localisation in France and such, I'm more of a large town person.

For the moment I'm applying for the Department of Corrections as the pay is good enough for me to gather cash for when I'll move and also will give me some prison experience as I'm kind of interested by the sheriffs departments/offices and most of them asks their members to be taking care of the county jail before getting on patrol.

At the moment I'm kind of stuck with employement even though I'm sometimes looking for offers the US ambassy makes in France (as for now they're recruiting people from the post office in order to get their own mail treated, I think some more jobs could be available and would help me out.)
    Last edited by Herastean; 03-29-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Forum Member

Hi Herastean,
    The words "French Department of Corrections" caught my eye.
    I thought that since you are familiar with the French Department of Corrections you would be able to supply me with an address or email where I could find a record of a Frenchman who was supposedly arrested and sent to the French Guiana penal colony in 1935. He then supposedly escaped in 1941 and made his way to Suriname. I have his name and I would like to verify that such a person actually was a prisoner there.
    Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Forum Member
    Welcome to Officer.com.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coop85 View Post
    Hi Herastean,
    The words "French Department of Corrections" caught my eye.
    I thought that since you are familiar with the French Department of Corrections you would be able to supply me with an address or email where I could find a record of a Frenchman who was supposedly arrested and sent to the French Guiana penal colony in 1935. He then supposedly escaped in 1941 and made his way to Suriname. I have his name and I would like to verify that such a person actually was a prisoner there.
    Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
    Are you joking? Most of the associated records such as they are have been made public. The account of Henri Charrière (Papillon) somewhat fits your cryptic specifications. He said he made a failed attempt at escape to Suriname in 1935. He reportedly escaped to Venezuela in 1941.

Forum Member

Thanks Monty for your reply. I am quite familiar with all the celebrated escapes. The story of the escapee (whose story I have) is not really interesting in the ways that, say, Papillon's story is. However I think it is of value for future researchers in this field. I believe the story is true. I have no reason to believe otherwise.
    The reason I replied to Herastean is for help in identifying the escapee and in this way verify that he was really at the French penal colony and did escape. I'm looking for suggestions as to where to apply for the information I seek. Can you help me in this?

Forum Member

Thanks Monty for your reply. I am quite familiar with all the celebrated escapes. The story of the escapee (whose story I have) is not really interesting in the ways that, say, Papillon's story is. However I think it is of value for future researchers in this field. I believe the story is true. I have no reason to believe otherwise.
    The reason I replied to Herastean is for help in identifying the escapee and in this way verify that he was really at the French penal colony and did escape. I'm looking for suggestions as to where to apply for the information I seek. Can you help me in this?
    If you can do so without giving away too much of your original research please state the name and any other details you may have.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
    If you can do so without giving away too much of your original research please state the name and any other details you may have.
    The name written in the notebook is:
    Charles Soulages French

I'm assuming French is part of his full name and not his way of telling he reader the country he was from.

How do you suggest I go about learning if someone by this name was actually ever arrested and sent to Devil's Island? He said it was in 1935.

Rcoop85

Forum Member

The name written in the notebook is:
    Charles Soulages French

I'm assuming French is part of his full name and not his way of telling he reader the country he was from.
    Soulages is a French surname. Is the notebook in English? If so French could mean the nationality.

How do you suggest I go about learning if someone by this name was actually ever arrested and sent to Devil's Island? He said it was in 1935.

Rcoop85
    Where best to seek further information depends on the information you already have.

Woohoo for Tier II !!
    bienvenue!

Quote Originally Posted by Herastean View Post
    @Monty Ealerman
    Thank you for the informations, I didn't expected the french ambassy to be in San Francisco but more in Sacrament or L.A.!
    The main embassy is in Washington, DC. http://www.info-france-usa.org/

There are consulates spread out through the states - typically major cities - to handle the majority of consular affairs for French citizens in a given region. There is also one in LA: http://www.consulfrance-losangeles.org/ as well as Chicago, Houston, Miami, Boston, Atlanta, etc. It would be quite a trip for someone in LA to travel cross-country to DC for a passport!

bonne chance!

_DF

RIP PO Peter Figoski

NYPD Scholarship Opportunities

DigitalFrenchie's Guide to NYPD IMPACT

A Cop's Point of View

When I answer a stupid question:

Quote Originally Posted by NYCTNT View Post
    DF,

Why do you bother?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
    Soulages is a French surname. Is the notebook in English? If so French could mean the nationality.

Where best to seek further information depends on the information you already have.

Monty,
    I had the same thought. The man said he was french and for some reason added French after his name.
    The notebook is written in very poor English.

Do you have any thoughts on where I should apply to verify that this man was actually in French Guiana prison? You did say most of the associated info has already been made public. Could you please tell me the precise places you are referring to so I can go there and retrieve this information.

coop85