Forum Member

If you don't receive the ticket in the mail...

I was just wondering - what happens if you move, and a ticket is sent to your old address? Are those tickets forwarded? There are certain mailings that state that they can not be forwarded.

Aren't you supposed to notify the DMV when you move?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny-Boy View Post
    I was just wondering - what happens if you move, and a ticket is sent to your old address? Are those tickets forwarded? There are certain mailings that state that they can not be forwarded.
    You remain 100% liable and responsible for any infractions. Say you “got” a photo ticket; regardless of mail receipt it will go on your record.

If you file a change of address with the USPS, they will typically forward all mail for a finite time. Following they will return it to sender. See: http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/507.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by SSD View Post
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Forum Member
    The reason that I asked is that there is certain mail that states "Do Not Forward" on the envelope. I didn't know if a traffic ticket were one of those things. I moved and did forward my mail. I changed my address on my license about 30 days later. I know for a fact that I am not getting all of my mail that I should have had forwarded. Plus, I didn't get the first forwarded piece of mail until about three weeks after I had moved!

So now you have a warrant?
    "Naw officer, I was hanging with my cousin"

"Sooo, real cousin or play cousins ?"

Quote Originally Posted by JasperST View Post
    I'm thinking a battalion of menstruating bearded women could kick some serious booty!

Out here in CA anyway, if you do not show up to court (or pay the ticket) by the court date on the citation, then an arrest warrent will be issued for you.....and your license will be suspended.
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Go straight to the issuing agency or court and explain your situation, can they issue you a new copy of the violation if it did get lost in transit? I'm genuinely curious what happens if things like this do get lost or accidentally destroyed by the USPS which I'm sure happens from time to time.
    Life is what you make of it

I got a citation while traveling. Thought I paid everything, however due to a clerical error at the courthouse, I wasn't informed of a couple of "administrative fees". A bench warrant was issued and I was contacted by a constable. After about an hour on the phone between the traffic violations bureau and the courthouse, I was able to pay by credit card over the phone and clear things up.

As stated earlier, contact the agency or court in the jurisdiction where you got the citation to clear it up. Better to get it resolved sooner than later. I paid nearly $150 extra because the bench warrant issued.

Forum Member
    What are you worried about a photo ticket for. If it comes in the mail, shred it
    I think about the only thing which hadn't made the trip into this guy's colon was a greyhound bus.
    ~Kieth M.

Man In Tan

Explorer

Photo tickets or red light camera tickets are civil in nature here. If you don't pay they go on your credit report and or turned over to a collection agency to harras you into submission. Your license, registration etc will not be suspended, revoked or anything.
    However the citations you get from the friendly LEO you are responsible for regardless to where you move. Here you get a copy of it with the contact information at the time of the stop. Not to mention you sign it promising to appear in court or pay the fine by the court date on the citation.
    Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
    President Ronald Reagan

All we ask is to be let alone.
    President Jefferson Davis

Forum Member
    Here if you get a ticket in the mail nothing will happen if you don't pay it. No collections, no nothing.
    I think about the only thing which hadn't made the trip into this guy's colon was a greyhound bus.
    ~Kieth M.

Man In Tan

Explorer