Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Question Dept. of AF 0083 Uniforms

I want to know if anyone out there could help me out with something. Some Dept. of AF bases have personnel wearing different uniforms for different seasons or climates. i.e. white polo shirts with embroidering, patches, etc etc. This is actual LEO personnel working patrol, not community police/relations. I'm trying to sell the idea to upper management here at Tyndall AFB, but need regs, ideas, pictures, etc etc. I'd appreciate it if anyone offer any insight into this. Thanks in advance.

Forum Member
    I transfered from DAF police over a year ago, but when I was there, it was per the regulation, kinda. There was the regulation, but they also kind of made their own rules. Little union support at the time until I took over as Union Rep. Got stone walled by everyone caving in to management rather than stand their ground. So management did what they wanted. We were forced to use our clothing allowance to buy a NEW uniform that the reg had put in place. This violated regulations, but it went through. Don't know whatever happened with that, left before it got resolved. Where I'm at now (Army) we presented a full plan and purposal through the union and have an approved alternate uniform, funded by the agency. It is a bike patrol uniform that is a white polo, black bike patrol shorts, and you are required to wear/buy your own black shoes (minimal markings) and black socks. Anyone can wear it for the summer, we don't have a "bike patrol assigned" requirement. Our arguement is that when it hits a high heat index, it can be a cool uniform for those who were a previous heat casualty. Safety first.
    Discretion is the better part of valor.

I'd rather be known as a really good witness, than as a really dead hero.

Its always something. You never know what, but there is always more to the story.

Forum Member

edited for content
    Last edited by caseyp; 04-09-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Forum Member
    Know the feeling about least of your problems. Good way to stop the Stetson's is officer safety. Obstructed view, truckers use them as targets (hate troopers), etc. As for the uniforms, don't agree and go to mediation if you want to stand your ground. That's what we have done in the past. Doesn't always work, but if you leave reasonable bargaining chips out there, its harder for them to do a landslide and side with management. When I used to work local LEO, past practice was to start negotiations with all requests of things we wanted, no matter how outlandish. Theory was, we can widdle away the stupid ones, and hope we are left with the ones we want, or most of them at least.
    Discretion is the better part of valor.

I'd rather be known as a really good witness, than as a really dead hero.

Its always something. You never know what, but there is always more to the story.

Forum Member

The hats they want us to wear on duty are stupid. Why is it so necessary to wear a hat on duty at all? Only because someone copied and pasted regulations... lol.

Cant keep it under 100...
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyp View Post
    Sounds like you have it better then us. Our chief is obsessed with mimicking the "townie" uniforms. LAPD blue tops and bottoms. The irony is he is the only one who wears a white button up (go figure). He's also trying to push through ridiculous stetson hats. The only people who want to wear stetsons in our section are the guys who so desperately want to be considered real cops. Thanks God our union is like not only no, but hell no. But the controversy over uniforms are the LEAST of our problems.
    Thats funny right there.

Solo is how I roll
    Quote Originally Posted by Unit453 View Post
    Thats funny right there.

Here you go brother, I found one for you....

310Qn5rvE7L.jpg

Forum Member

clown hat.jpg

Here's another one we can all wear.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dafnation View Post
    clown hat.jpg

Here's another one we can all wear.
    I like that hat.

Forum Member
    As bad as the Air Force has it, MCCLEP has had a navy blue police uniform for the last few years. I recently got back from a training course where future changes to the program were discussed to include a possible "cammie" uniform in the works for its civilian officers...WTF? Not looking forward to see what "good idea" some Marine Major came up with to make us look more like Marines and less like police.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheSentinel View Post
    As bad as the Air Force has it, MCCLEP has had a navy blue police uniform for the last few years. I recently got back from a training course where future changes to the program were discussed to include a possible "cammie" uniform in the works for its civilian officers...WTF? Not looking forward to see what "good idea" some Marine Major came up with to make us look more like Marines and less like police.
    It's camouflage in reverse. If HQMC can't make the Marines more proficient, they want to make us look more like Marines. This way we don't make them look so bad on scene when the green team has no clue but we do...

Forum Member

I asked our union pres about this and he said hell no this will never happen because the MC is scared of opening up talks on uniforms because we might be able to lose their high speed hats.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheSentinel View Post
    Mac%20Cup.jpg

Forum Member

So nobody knows anything about AF having different uniforms authorized for civilians or military personal for alternative wear throughout the seasons?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teslaus View Post
    So nobody knows anything about AF having different uniforms authorized for civilians or military personal for alternative wear throughout the seasons?
    Nope, Aim High.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1badsoldier View Post
    I asked our union pres about this and he said hell no this will never happen because the MC is scared of opening up talks on uniforms because we might be able to lose their high speed hats.
    That would be a shame if those hats went bye bye. I'm glad they went with a cheap, easily fades, oversize design that makes the wearer look like a ******. I wouldn't mind it so much if it was a flex fit hat that didn't fade after a week or two of sweating. Never mind, screw the hats.

Forum Member

Any info on the 083's MacDill AFB ?

As for hats, I worked for DLA at one time and we had to wear our baseball caps.....not.that bad.but it should be your choice.

One Night In Bangkok
    It would be in the AFI and would be at the CO's discretion. Only alternative uniforms I know of are for marine and bike patrol.
    Last edited by orlandofed5-0; 04-12-2012 at 03:56 PM.
    I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.

Forum Member

I checked the AFI & it authorizes a Polo shirt for bike patrol. My goal is to have the CO approve a design & then see about buying an initial issue of one shirt per officer & if they officer wants more, it's on their dollar.

Forum Member

I checked the AFI & it authorizes a Polo shirt for bike patrol. My goal is to have the CO approve a design & then see about buying an initial issue of one shirt per officer & if they officer wants more, it's on their dollar.
    Has there been (or is there going to be) a change to AFI 31-283 with regard to uniform wear? Beyond the basic uniforms from warm to cold weather it appears to be at the discretion of the commander, if circumstances permit.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by I0347 View Post
    it appears to be at the discretion of the commander, if circumstances permit.
    That's how I understood it to be. I'm hoping the CO will approve the idea. It may beat wearing polyester uniforms during the coming hot/humid months. :\

Forum Member

No Mcdill info ? Any would be good. Leo info of course, lol.

Forum Member
    Civilians and Military can wear the same uniform or they can wear something that is different all depends on how it is negotiated…………………Me as a union rep who negotiates this stuff for us, no way in hell I would agree to wearing the same thing as the military.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Forum Member

Got a tenitive selection email today for Mcdill...wooo

One Night In Bangkok
    Quote Originally Posted by MPK9 View Post
    Got a tenitive selection email today for Mcdill...wooo
    If you hated DLA, what makes you think MacDill would be any different?
    I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last