Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PhilipCal

Thread: Failed Polygraph

Forum Member

Failed Polygraph

Hello how is everyone doing
    Last edited by darkangelalex; 11-17-2012 at 03:36 PM.

It's Complicated
    Ask the USBP
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

(--GOD--)
    Quote Originally Posted by princealex21 View Post
    So I failed my polygraph for the US Border Patrol. I did not divulge information i should of divulge. However, towards the end i finally told the Polygraph-er that i was coerced into selling drugs when i was 15 years old about 12 years ago. I failed the polygraph because i lied even though i told the truth at the end. I know its bad and i will deal with the consequences, but i called CBP and they told me that i did fail the background due to a failed poly but that they still haven't withdrawn my application but that I'm still in the hiring process. What does that mean am i getting a second poly or a oral board???? It has been 2 months since i failed it and no disqualification letter.
    Quote Originally Posted by princealex21 View Post
    Okay here it is, I sold drugs when i was 16 years old. I was also was getting a ride home with my buddy's and his brother, his brother suddenly pulled a gun on a person he didn't like to scare him. The gun was never shot or fired and they were later arrested but nothing ever happened to me. I am now 28 and that was 12 years ago, I'm trying to apply for LE and was wondering if that is a disqualification, should i attempt or should i not bother. I have just recently left the military and have a honorable discharge. I was young, stupid and to be honest not many people at age 16 know what they want to be in life.

I recently took a polygraph with a agency and honestly, poly's are interrogation tactics. I divulged the information above and told the truth finally. I did not pass the polygraph but they asked me if I'm willing to come back and try additional testing. I have not received a letter being D.Q so don't know whats going on.

Lastly, I have a background pending with another agency but since i haven't received a D.Q letter what do i tell them if asked.

Please no dumb comments were all humans and we all make mistakes when were young.
    You're a prime candidate, why they didn't hire you on the spot I don't know.
    Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Forum Member

Love that part about being coerced to sell drugs. Here it is. Selling drugs is just that. Selling drugs. That's just about got to be a killer. The fact that you disclosed the truth at the end of the Polygraph does NOT mitigate the fact that you were less than truthful during the course of the exam. While you can minimize and dismiss your pharmaceutical career as youthful indiscretion, the fact remains that most sixteen year old s manage to avoid that situation. Oh yes, the polygraph is an interrogation tactic, and it seems to have served it's stated purpose in your particular case. Now as to "dumb comments" as you title them. Seems like you simply desire to hear only what you want to hear from us. That doesn't happen here, and you don't get to dictate the replies you receive. We do that. We're going to tell you the truth, no more, no less. You have to realize that you emerge as far less than an ideal or competitive candidate. You will not fare well against applicants who are also Honorably discharged veterans, and who don't bring your issues to the table. You will also finish far behind applicants, who while not Veterans, still don't bring your issues to the table. So, now that we've (I) have no doubt angered you with the truth, you might contact USBP for a more specific answer to your query. I'm certain they're simply dying to hear from you, so the sooner you contact them, the better they'll feel. You too. Call them today.

Tinfoil Hat Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipCal View Post
    .... Now as to "dumb comments" as you title them. Seems like you simply desire to hear only what you want to hear from us. That doesn't happen here, and you don't get to dictate the replies you receive. We do that. We're going to tell you the truth, no more, no less. You have to realize that you emerge as far less than an ideal or competitive candidate. You will not fare well against applicants who are also Honorably discharged veterans, and who don't bring your issues to the table. You will also finish far behind applicants, who while not Veterans, still don't bring your issues to the table. So, now that we've (I) have no doubt angered you with the truth, you might contact USBP for a more specific answer to your query. I'm certain they're simply dying to hear from you, so the sooner you contact them, the better they'll feel. You too. Call them today.
    Super point...

I would note however:

I recently took a polygraph with a agency and honestly, poly's are interrogation tactics.
    Polygraphs are used to evaluate the truthfulness of a person period. You could “pass” a polygraph and still be deemed less than truthful…that’s where the experience, savvy and acumen of the examiner comes into play.

Your less than artful dodge of the truth at the end of a polygraph DOES NOTmitigate the fact that you undoubtedly failed to fully disclose this illegal activity at numerous stages PRIOR TO said polygraph examination.

I would expect the thin letter to come in the mail any time now, though I personally think the government should save the stamp since they will be telling you what you already know. You Are Disqualified and Will Likely Never Be Considered By USBP Again. I would also add that your apparent pattern of untruthfulness portends of a lack of success in your quest for a position where trust is paramount.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSD View Post
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Forum Member
    It is all about telling the truth. No Police Officer is perfect, if we were, there would not be any. You should have been upfront in the beginning about that incident when you were 15 years old.

If you apply somewhere else, be honest and upfront, you will be surprised and what we understand.
    Drake Steele
    2 Years Police Officer
    12 Years Army National Guard Officer
    http://www.HowCanIBeACop.com
    I enjoy helping those that are considering a job in Law Enforcement as well as the newly sworn Officers.

Band-aid jockey
    Still having trouble owning up to what you have done in the past it appears. This is the very reason that polygraphs are used...to get you to tell the truth.