X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueline231
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2011

Leaving Law Enforcement ?

I am considering leaving Law Enforcement for Military. I have about 3 years under my belt. If I come back in a couple years after serving will I have issues with my POST certification?

Thanks.
  • jannino
    Forum Member
    • Feb 2007

Based on my short review of the POST website, it appears you never lose your certification (unless it's suspended or revoked), but you lose 'powers of arrest'.

Here's some info from their FAQ at http://www.gapost.org/faqs.html

Does an officer lose his/her certification if he/she does not get the 20 hours of in-service training for any one calendar year of employment?

NO, but he/she does lose the "power of arrest" at midnight on December 31 of that year.

If an officer makes up the hours during the following year, does he/she regain the power of arrest?

NO, the power of arrest is gone. To get it re-instated, the officer must make up the deficient training and submit a waiver request form to the Council. The Council will review the request and inform the officer of its decision. Until such time as a waiver is issued, the officer has no "power of arrest."

How long is a certification valid?

Indefinitely unless it is revoked or suspended. Once an officer is certified, he/she may leave or re-enter peace officer employment without further requirements.
    Best of luck to you. I followed your post in the other forum. Have you narrowed down your options any?

Comment

• blueline231
      Forum Member
      • Sep 2011

To be completely honest I am scared to leave law enforcement but I have always wanted to join the military. It will take time.

I guess say I join military 4 years I come back after 4 try to become police officer I am technically "post" certified they just have to get me to training and classes. I think the Council would approve any request for someone that left for Military.

Comment

• Zeitgeist
        Forum Member
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by blueline231
        To be completely honest I am scared to leave law enforcement but I have always wanted to join the military. It will take time.

I guess say I join military 4 years I come back after 4 try to become police officer I am technically "post" certified they just have to get me to training and classes. I think the Council would approve any request for someone that left for Military.
        If you are activated they are pretty leniant, but choosing to leave for the military is similar to leaving for any other job.

I admire your willingness to take a chance--law enforcement will be here when you get back. You can also maintain your certification by taking POST certified courses each year. I believe it's 16 hours? But I'm not sure.
        Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

• jannino
          Forum Member
          • Feb 2007

I don't think he can keep his 'powers of arrest' unless still employed and completes the 20 hours required annually. You never lose your cert unless they take it from you. I don't know what's required when you get back..

Have you narrowed down your options yet?

I think joining is a great honor and privilege, but you're joining at the absolute worst time if you're hoping for combat. There may even be a chance you won't leave a US base.

If you do it, have an ultimate goal and exit strategy. The plus side about it being less combat intense is that if your goal is to get a degree, you will have a greater chance of doing so.

Comment

• 11b101abn
            • Oct 2006

What about the National Guard?

Comment

• NYPDcand01
              Forum Member
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by blueline231

I think it's a great idea and an honor to go into the military...I tried to join the marines, but I only have one kidney and my waiver didn't go through. I would say get your bs/ba and go back into law enforcement after..better yet go into federal law enforcement! You will have all the qualifications you need with the military background and a good GPA.
              Exam 8328

'Goonie'

Comment

• 2ndtimearound
                Forum Member
                • Oct 2005

Are there any exemptions from the 20 hour annual training requirement?

1. if an officer is inactive for the entire year and;

2. if an officer completes basic mandate after April 1.

Regarding 1, if an officer works any portion of a year, he/she is required to receive 20 hours of training for that year. Regarding 2, those officers completing basic mandate on or before April 1 must meet the 20 hour annual training requirement for that year.

Get Your 20 Hours before you leave, then the next year you are exempt. When you come back you will have to do your 20 for the year you come back. For example: if you leave for the Military say March 1, 2012 you need to already have the 20 hrs. for 2012 completed before you leave. If You come back Oct. 1 2014 you would have to complete 20 hrs. before the end of 2014. If you work one day of a year you have to do your 20 for that year. Call P.O.S.T and explain your particular situation.

Comment

• Zeitgeist
                  Forum Member
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by jannino
                  I don't think he can keep his 'powers of arrest' unless still employed and completes the 20 hours required annually. You never lose your cert unless they take it from you. I don't know what's required when you get back..

It's difficult to believe you're not a LEO. ) You know all of these obscure facts.

J's right---you can keep your POST certification, but your powers of arrest come from the agency
                  that you work for.
                  You can maintain your certification by going to different training, as long as it's POST certified. Go to Las Vegas w/ PATC and do one of their workshops. Every December they're there. Great way to take a trip to Vegas and write it off on your taxes. They also have seminars/training all over the country. There are others that do various types of training. The tricky thing will be to maintain your firearms cert. Maybe you could go to a local agency? (near where you are stationed?) I'm speculating here.....
                  Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

• ChiTownDet
                    Retired
                    • Nov 2005

Have you asked if your Dept. will give you Military Leave? Your job would be there when you're done..

Comment

• jannino
                      Forum Member
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zeitgeist
                      It's difficult to believe you're not a LEO. ) You know all of these obscure facts.
                      No big deal. I don't mind taking the time to find out the information for others... especially if I'm able to provide some type of verifiable link. I've learned a lot on this site and if I can pass down any knowledge, I'm more than happy to.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12288 users online. 75 members and 12213 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...