Forum Member

Cleaning handcuffs

What the best method? Wouldn't water rust my cuffs? I just want to disinfect them because of the perp I had last night. Should I just Lysol it?

Not so Special Agent...
    Lysol is ok, hand sanitizing gel is ok, a solution of bleach in water is ok. If you use the bleach in water, I would dry and oil afterwards. BTW, handcuffs are just dirty things. If youre going to clean them after every single scuzzy crook youre going to be doing a LOT of cleaning. I would reserve that for bodily fluid/blood type encounters.
    "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Forum Member

I spray mine down with non-chlorinated brake cleaner every so often to clean all the crap out of them.

Forum Member
    I blast mine with Lysol once a week or if they come in contact with body fluids. Otherwise I disinfect them at the end of the work week and lubricate as necessary to ensure the handcuffs are functioning properly.

It's Complicated
    I cleaned mine when they got dirty.............other than that............never worried about them.

My last pair was 20 yrs old when I retired and worked perfectly

^^^^ for much of that time I used them approximately 100 times a day
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

No more Uni... Now MPDC
    Go to the hospital ER and grab a tub of the disinfecting wipes that EMTs use to wipe down their equipment after transports. The stuff at all our hospitals requires the user to wear gloves because the chemicals are strong enough to give rashes. The wipes kill damned near everything including Hepatitis and HIV. Once you wipe them down and they air dry, put them back in the pouch and you're good to go.

jakflak
    Lysol and Lysol wipes are your friend. Bleach won't harm them every now and then, but keep in mind bleach is the enemy of stainless steel: it causes them to rust so don't use it often. Alcohol (like Lysol) is fine.

Forum Member
    Our jail has lysol wipes in the booking area. The booking deputies wipe off my cuffs before they hand them back to me. If I'm lucky, they set the cuffs down before they wipe them and I can grab them and wipe them myself. I figure by then they are doing all the work and I'm just standing around. Bottom line is that my cuffs get wiped down every time they come off.

Equal Height Equal Light

I don't normally clean them, unless I get blood or something on there. I'm not a fan of wipes, because you can't really get into the nooks and crannies with wipes. When blood gets on those bad boys, I go to a hospital and do the following:

1. Obtain tub.
    2. Obtain 1 gallon of hospital-grade disinfectant stuff.
    3. Submerge cuffs in HGDS for approximately 10 minutes.

Hopefully, nothing is gonna survive that.
    Last edited by Chomp; 03-22-2012 at 12:06 AM.

This Can't Be!
    A red house in a red county in a red state in a red country
    Hmmm. Never thought of cleaning mine. Not once in over 20 years. Just a drop of break free in the ratchet from time to time.

Eeeewwww. The germs!!!!!!
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Forum Member

I had a bad exposure & boiled mine. Afterwards I oiled them & had no problems.

Not so Special Agent...
    Quote Originally Posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
    Hmmm. Never thought of cleaning mine. Not once in over 20 years. Just a drop of break free in the ratchet from time to time.

Eeeewwww. The germs!!!!!!
    Never got the all bloody in 20 years?
    "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    I cleaned mine when they got dirty.............other than that............never worried about them.

My last pair was 20 yrs old when I retired and worked perfectly

^^^^ for much of that time I used them approximately 100 times a day
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowreef View Post
    Nope....................I sprayed them with Bleach water a few times when I really got them bloody but other than that.............NOPE

When I got a desk job, once a day I ran them thru the ratchet .............when I got dressed which kept them "exercise"---but like I said for most of my career I used my daily many times..............never needed to do much to them
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

One man Wolfpack
    You can always try and switch them out with booking when you drop someone off.

I've heard that works...

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

This Can't Be!
    A red house in a red county in a red state in a red country
    Maybe, I just don't ever remember cleaning them - must have I guess, just never thought about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowreef View Post
    The All New
    BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
    Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
    - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepdog13 View Post
    Our jail has lysol wipes in the booking area. The booking deputies wipe off my cuffs before they hand them back to me. If I'm lucky, they set the cuffs down before they wipe them and I can grab them and wipe them myself. I figure by then they are doing all the work and I'm just standing around. Bottom line is that my cuffs get wiped down every time they come off.
    Same thing here. Wipes in booking, booking officer wipes cuffs off for me and hands them back to me.
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it

"But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet
    it" - Thucydides