GGG
    Forum Member

Power Shift in a corrections environment

Anyone have a "power shift" in your prison or jail?

Our jail is looking at whether there is a use/need for a power shift. I can see it on the street when you have a time frame that generates more calls for service and you need more cops on the street. Anyone have an equivelent shift where you work?

Thanks

Look at this freakin guy
    I do not know how the inmates are in your jail, but out West a stacked shift would be useless. I say this because inmates will begin to see the larger presence of officers, and plan what they are going to do when it is less stacked. As we all know, inmates will pick up on that larger presence in the first five minutes of having it. Now if you mean on your jail's intake side, I can see having it stacked on a Friday Saturday swing/grave shift depending on how many arrestee's are bought in on average during those times.
    Nothing worth having comes easy...earn it

GGG
    Forum Member
    It is not so much from the aspect of stacking a shift to be prepared for something the inmates do. We keep a pretty tight lid on them as it is. More for a work load management application. Receiving/intake is busy during the day on Fri as that is sentencing day in courts. So plenty of defendants becoming inmates that day. Then of course Fri/Sat night it is busy down there with idiots coming in off the street. Busy enough to need a few extra bodies but I can't see creating a shift for just that.