Forum Member

1 down and 13 to go!

Just finished my first week of FTO on midnight shift (9p-7a). Still adjusting to sleeping with the sun up. It felt good to finally get out there and use some of the skills I've learned through all my training (academy & in-house). Alot of the advice on here came in handy this first week. Did a lot of traffic stops, trespassing homeless people, and dealing with a mentally ill person. Just wanted to share my experience since others who've shared helped me. It's been fun so far. I am looking forward to knocking out the remaining weeks ahead!
    You block your dream when you allow your fear to grow bigger than your faith. -Mary Manin Morrissey

Forum Member

Make your bedroom as dark as possible. At the beginning that will help the most. After a couple years you can sleep with the blinds open.

Midnights are a different animal. I love it. If I wasn't transfering to SRO I'd stay on this shift my whole career. The officers we have on this shift are some of the best I know. Our last LT tells any one he talks to that he never had to mess with us because he knew that we handled business.
    "Rollin and Patrollin the Wild Wild West of Bham"

Forum Member

^ I'm just a few months off FTO, and I'm starting to like night shift. It does tend to mess with your family life a bit. But I really like the opportunities for self-initiated policing. I see someone parked in the parking lot at Best Buy at 02:00, I stop them and see what they're doing. I cruise the apartment complexes in the early mornings and stop someone if they don't appear to be walking toward an apt or a car. Stop cars all the time for no headlights or tail lights. There's just so many ways for a dumb rookie to get reasonable suspicion while working nights. Also get so much experience with DWIs. During my first 2 months of FTO, working days and evenings, I only got 1 DWI. Now, I get at least one a week, and most of them just fall into my lap with someone wrecking their car or passing out in the Burger King drive-through.

Get through this FTO, and get ready to have a blast when you're on your own.

Forum Member
    I shut every curtain in the room. It's really helping.

Enjoying it alot and just taking everyday at a time. In my off time I try to read up on case law and other info, as well as rest.
    You block your dream when you allow your fear to grow bigger than your faith. -Mary Manin Morrissey

Forum Member

Go to WalMart and buy a $30 set of light-blocking curtains. They're worth their weight in gold for third shifters.

Florida Gator
    Tin foil works amazingly. But I had to recently take it down, thanks to the Homeowner's Association.

Bored

The darker the room the better, PLUS and I'm not dispensing medical advice here but some regular old OTC sleep aid pills really help. Take 2 when you get home, log onto O.com and in about 30 minutes, reply to some posts. When you wake up, re read the posts, you'll swear you were drunk...
    I got nothing for now