Forum Member

Night Vision Goggles

On a recent hunting trip, I really couldn't see well enough to shoot anything. I was just wondering how well night vision goggles work, and if there are any that someone could recommend.

Forum Member
    I was a night vision instructor in the military... They would work well for scanning the area to find what you are looking for, but are not going to work very well for sighting in with a weapon. (The sights would be to close to the goggles for a good sight picture.... You basically focus them so everything about 20+ feet is clear (Optical infinity) If you focus them so you can see up close everything will be fuzzy beyond about an arms reach.

I am not a hunter so I don't know what the laws are on using lasers but the night vision will pick up the laser beam that you cannot see with the naked eye that would probably be the best way to shoot. I've only used Gen III Military NVG's so I can not recommend a good brand or how well the non-military stuff works, but I would'nt be suprised if the stuff you get at hunting stores is better since the 3rd gen military goggles are getting pretty old. I would just go to your hunting store and ask to try some out, if you've never used them before they are pretty fun to play with, wearing them for 8 hours flying in a helicopter is a different story.
    Last edited by Lucas; 03-23-2012 at 10:52 PM.

Forum Member

There are many brands available in the market, even you can also search on Internet and buy online.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mnpilot View Post
    I was a night vision instructor in the military... They would work well for scanning the area to find what you are looking for, but are not going to work very well for sighting in with a weapon. (The sights would be to close to the goggles for a good sight picture.... You basically focus them so everything about 20+ feet is clear (Optical infinity) If you focus them so you can see up close everything will be fuzzy beyond about an arms reach.

I am not a hunter so I don't know what the laws are on using lasers but the night vision will pick up the laser beam that you cannot see with the naked eye that would probably be the best way to shoot. I've only used Gen III Military NVG's so I can not recommend a good brand or how well the non-military stuff works, but I would'nt be suprised if the stuff you get at hunting stores is better since the 3rd gen military goggles are getting pretty old. I would just go to your hunting store and ask to try some out, if you've never used them before they are pretty fun to play with, wearing them for 8 hours flying in a helicopter is a different story.
    yeah. after you wear them so long, everything is bloodshot red. pretty wicked.

we have PVS7s that the sergeants carry. we also have CCD thermals, but i'm not a fan of those things.

in the army, I use both PVS7 and PVS14. they're not easy to shoot with. mostly rambo style shooting with a laser at close distance.

Forum Member
    The night vision cameras are very expensive. Why don't you put a extra lights on the drive and use standart camera which have nightvision for blindspot

Forum Member

IMHO, you would probably be far better served using a NV optic.

Forum Member

I agree with the night vision optic thing, with one caveat. Many locales (the ones I hunt anyway) have specific hours you can hunt for different games, and almost all of them dont allow hunting after dark or more than 30 mins before sun up. Make sure you are not setting yourself up for a ticket from a game warden for night hunting.