Annoyed, amazed & amused!

Police and military interactions...

Sooooo, got a letter forwarded to me from a local military base's department of public safety director, it came from a full bird colonel in charge of certain high-speed, low-drag, (truly) operators...advising us that certain members of this group may be transporting excessive ammo and certain explosives from home to their HQ during a week long "amnesty program."

I don't think I have any of these guys living in my town, the town next-door, not so lucky. The PD, next-door, already had to shoot and wound a PTSD member of the same group mentioned above, after an armed DV incident where he'd threatend to kill his wife and himself. After being wounded, he took himself out.

Got me to thinking about the joys and pains of having the military next-door, or passing through your jurisdiction.

My own department, unfortunately, has cost a third year cadet his commission, when he decided to drive from one bar in my town, to another, with a BAC of .26%.

So, got any police and military stories? I'll share a hmmmmm, could have been serious, but funny one back from California, later.
    "Many times, I have thoughts and feelings which can only be expressed through dance!" - Bender, Futurama

"Ranking right up there with 'No good deed goes unpunished' are:

'Sooner or later, we just might outlive our usefulness to others' and...

'Sometimes it's very possible to push the most loving and loyal person, beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t'"
    - Yours truly

Max Rockatansky
    us287 runs right through my county.
    One day last year a military unit had just gotten leave down south and A LOT of them were heading north up 287. I (and the reserve who was riding w/me) must have stopped half the unit that night (all for speeding). the only guy who ended up with a ticket was the guy running 105mph
    Chris
    STEAM ID: MrManslaughter
    XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Forum Member
    I work around a certain base where a certain group of very bad *** operators work. Very low key, never have issues with them. The people we see are guys who are attached to the unit like a paymaster, cook, etc, who play themselves off as a bad ***. They ain't, of course!

Forum Member

Closest base is 30 miles in two different directions, one army and one air force. Never any major problems. I would hate to work jacksonville nc or san diego ca. I was in the Marine Corps. I bet money those two departments are up to their eyeballs in 19 year old boot Marines that think they're indestructible doing stupid crap. Don't get me wrong, God bless the Marine Corps. There still has to be some un-written rule, though, saying you have to spend your first two years there in deep trouble. I'm sure the past ten years, being at war and all, has helped. I joined in 03 and left in 07. I didn't have time to get in trouble... was always busy rolling around in a God-forsaken sand box.

Forum Member
    We have a Seabee base, a big National Guard base and the next town over has a large Air Force base plus a huge VA. Plenty of military down here. The Seabee's are the worst of the bunch. They like to drink and explain how they just got back from the "War." Our response is, "What did you build?"
    Geaux Tigers

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieth M. View Post
    My own department, unfortunately, has cost a third year cadet his commission, when he decided to drive from one bar in my town, to another, with a BAC of .26%..
    That is not the way you should think of it Kieth
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Annoyed, amazed & amused!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    I know, I know, we were only the "clean up team" after his poor decision making process. Perhaps it's better he lost his commission, than to have him squeeked through and cost several lives while flying multi-million dollar aircraft, five or ten years down the road.

As the Italian poet Dante once wrote, "No man shall possess that, which he so willingly gives away."
    "Many times, I have thoughts and feelings which can only be expressed through dance!" - Bender, Futurama

"Ranking right up there with 'No good deed goes unpunished' are:

'Sooner or later, we just might outlive our usefulness to others' and...

'Sometimes it's very possible to push the most loving and loyal person, beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t'"
    - Yours truly

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    I agree. I'm a retired Army MP. I not one time put a glass in a solders hand. I never once handed them the keys to car. I never started the car. I never told them to drive the car. Those where all bad decisions on there part. When they make that famous statement "look what your doing to me", its game on.

I'm not against cutting Military slack, but don't let them take advantage of you at the same time.

Forum Member
    Here in the DC Metro area we have military installations for every branch. We had this one guy who loved going over a 100mph on the highway back and forth to work. When he got pulled over he would flash some type of credentials saying "Im Secure". Turns out he was some type of enlisted security personnel. After many stops and citations later he got in some trouble with his CO.

Most of the time I never get any problems from military personnel and just send them on their way as long as it nothing outrageous.

SSD
    Littering and..?
    Being in the Military myself(Guard), I can say that many service member's feel that they are above the law and do need a reminder here and there that they are not. I know the local PD around the Base I am at right now gets quite a bit of problems related to the post. Mostly, the issues all revolve around soldiers/airmen driving too fast, or too drunk.

A while back, while on light duty, I was doing some of the booking for my agency. Only had 3-4 military come in (all on public intox or DUI.) Out of those 3-4, all but one of them were overly belligerent and yelling, and attempting to play the "military card" in a very obnoxious way. It's no wonder to me why they were actually there. A quick call to one in particular's 1SG at 3am seemed to change his attitude quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieth M. View Post
    As the Italian poet Dante once wrote, "No man shall possess that, which he so willingly gives away."
    While off the subject, I was interested in this quote so I "google'd" it in quotations, and the first 4-5 results were you quoting it here on o.com, interesting Very nice quote though, I like it.
    Any and all statements made by this account represent my sole opinion and do not reflect an official opinion, belief, or policy of any department or agency to which I am employed by. Further, I am in no way authorized to speak on behalf of any department or agency.

One man Wolfpack
    The Air Force Academy produces some of the most interesting criminal cases...

Google "The Denver Horsemen" (NSFW)

Good times.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence