Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By criminalarrest

Thread: DRE School

Forum Member

DRE School

I'm planning on going to DRE school next year. I've been told that it's one of the hardest LE school's there are, but well worth it. Any comments or advice from the DRE's out there that may be helpful for me?

Make sure you are very very proficient in the SFST's and study the drug matrix.
    "My give a damn's busted"

Forum Member
    Like Vtfuzz said...know your SFSTs and the matrix. You can find the matrix online I think, or talk to a local DRE and get a copy and start memorizing it. The school was challenging but very good. I was worried going into the school, but between studying with a few others, the classroom reviews, and the practical portions I was prepared for the test etc just fine. I notice a lot more things now during stops than I did before. The eyes can tell you a lot.
    Yesman likes this.

Forum Member
    Thanks for the information, and as far as the SFSTs do you only use the NHTSA 3 and nothing else? I guess what I'm saying is do I need to get out of the habit of doing other tasks as well as the NHSTA 3 such as finger to nose, counting backward, finger count, etc?

I still use others during my roadside contacts, but you need to be able to recite and perform the HGN, WAT & OLS verbatim.
    "My give a damn's busted"

Forum Member
    Ok good deal. I wasn't sure because there are some stops you make either by the terrain you're on or medical conditions of the subject that you can't do all of the NHTSA tasks and have to use others.

My Doctor said I will be getting my first DRE when I turn 40. I don't know how hard it will be, and she has not given me any suggestions for study materials...

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m-11 View Post
    my doctor said i will be getting my first dre when i turn 40. I don't know how hard it will be, and she has not given me any suggestions for study materials...

M-11
    lol!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by M-11 View Post
    My Doctor said I will be getting my first DRE when I turn 40. I don't know how hard it will be, and she has not given me any suggestions for study materials...

M-11

Hope he uses lube.