Page 6 of 7 First ... 34567 Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Since when did SWAT Officers start calling themselves "Operators"?

Littering and...
    Quote Originally Posted by Trucker021 View Post
    Wow, what's with all the run around? It was just a friendly question. Usually it's no probably for a guy that was on a team to say which one it was, just thought you would like to share.
    Why in the world would you think that a guy on a team would *like* to share that info? I've been off active duty for a while and a lot of things have changed, like team designations, but still have my foot in the door as a civilian. You want my personal info? I like Sam Adams, live near Boston and actually hate baseball. Officer dotcom? Pfft, it's for entertainment purposes only, but your mileage may vary.

Soooo, the kids party was a success. Meatballs, sausage, home-made sauce and ziti were awesome. Cake was from Wegmans, kids' god father was hitting on a couple of yummy mommies who were there. My brother-in-law stayed sober, but the kids destroyed my house, etc...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mdrdep View Post
    I'm an operator. I operate heavy machinery every time I have sex with my wife.
    Have you met Liam Neeson?

http://liamneesonscock.tumblr.com/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SinePari View Post
    Why in the world would you think that a guy on a team would *like* to share that info? I've been off active duty for a while and a lot of things have changed, like team designations, but still have my foot in the door as a civilian. ...
    The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

I said, was on a team. I don't need to know, or care about, your personal life. You're the one using a Special Operations screen name, and saying you were on a team(s). Are you a member of one of the SF websites? Maybe we can hash it out there?

Forum Member
    Who cares, it's just a word.
    I call myself Ron Jeremy personally.

wgb
    Forum Member

SWAT cops are SWAT Team Members, words have meanings, and affect the way people think and see themselves. Operator means either you answer phones for a living or you specialize in killing people and breaking things amongst other things. Cops of any sort are not operators except maybe in the bar when they are chasing badge bunnies.
    OF THE PEOPLE, NOT ABOVE THE PEOPLE

Forum Member
    some of you folks take yourself waaaay too seriously

One man Wolfpack
    http://www.wimp.com/vaderkilt/

My contribution to the argument.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Forum Member

That's truly outstanding M-11

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslash View Post
    Who cares, it's just a word.
    I call myself Ron Jeremy personally.
    Why? Are you fat, hairy, and ugly?
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GangGreen712 View Post
    Why? Are you fat, hairy, and ugly?
    yes and I also have a very large prosthetic peepee I carry around in my pocket

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HEDP View Post
    I don't have a chip on my shoulder at all. When I was in the Corps I spent months on ship with a group of SEALs and they were good guys.

I think that the term Operator when pertaining to military operations should be left for those who earned that title. Not those that decide to call themselves that.

I thought the same thing when the entire army got berets, I thought berets should be left for the green berets who earned their beret. Not everyone in the military.

Either way not a big deal. Just pointing it out.
    It's all good. I whole heartedly concur on the goddamn berets. Nauseating would be an under statement.

Forum Member

has anyone considered that some of these officers might be using a term that has been defined by the agency they are employed by?

Agent is a term which in the USA has a specific meaning, however at the most basic level it means someone who acts with the authority of another, but is a title conferred upon people on completion of a training course, the SAS are amongst the top tier of military units worldwide – the rank given after selection is Trooper, I can honestly say they don't give a flying one that an agency somewhere else a few hundred miles away have guys calling themselves Trooper but haven't completed selection.

As for the argument that operator is a military term, what does it actually mean?

Operator – someone who conducts operations, what do the rest of the military do then sit around aimlessly?

Operator – someone who operates a piece of equipment, which bit of equipment specific? Radios, vehicles, weaponry?

A lad I know with works in the “ruining bad peoples day” field, he is referred to as an assaulter because his role is to assault structures, force his way into a building and deal with the person within it does what it says on the tin

I have to agree to an extent with the person who said its often about eliteness, maybe its a case of pride and esprit d' corps but then again in some cases maybe its a little bit of rubbing peoples noses in it, your always going to get one person who wants to be a little different, maybe the guy who wants to wear a different uniform form the other guys in his agency, or maybe its the lad who insists on banging the word tactical on the front of his job title, maybe the guy who wants to do things his way because he's been on the job longer and “knows” best
    I swear down bruv I never touched your motor !!

can you tell me why your sitting in the drivers seat then ?

Littering and...
    Quote Originally Posted by Trucker021 View Post
    The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

I said, was on a team. I don't need to know, or care about, your personal life. You're the one using a Special Operations screen name, and saying you were on a team(s). Are you a member of one of the SF websites? Maybe we can hash it out there?
    Hash what out? You just said you weren't interested in my personal life, but you're soooo concerned about me and my screen name. Why haven't you sent me any PMs? C'mon guy. You're killing me. You think you're on to something? You trying to out somebody? You picked the wrong dude. SF website? Nah, not my thing. How about facebook, they have a page there too. This thread has officially made my head hurt. You can thank mother trucker for the hijack.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SinePari View Post
    blah, blah, blah.

ok, pm inbound

Forum Member
    The dictionary definition may does include non-military personal, but like I said, if martial law is declared watch the police be labeled civilians and their powers stripped if the military chooses it to be.
    Let me say I'm not sharp shooting you, just pointing something out. I think operator is a bit much and we don't say that here, it's just SWAT officer but I think they know their capabilities.

Martial law was declared in a Major Metropolitan city in the U.S. (New Orleans) and police were not stripped of their powers. In fact THEY were augmented by the military, not the other way around.

Also, Webster says that civilian is someone not in the military, police or other fighting force.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/civilian
    Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

"Livin' the dream..."
    What a waste of 15 minutes I'll never get back...
    "I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand; particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go" - Battalion Chief John Sullivan, FDNY

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!" - Rev1

"If you reload like old people f@ck, then you need to be behind something that stops bullets." - Blackdog F4i

IGNORE = since9, justme001, opencarry, bsd13, asullivan, okjoe, Patrick Sander, CJ616

One man Wolfpack
    Quote Originally Posted by FireCop604 View Post
    What a waste of 15 minutes I'll never get back...
    Well, did you see my video?

M-11
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;

TE Lawrence

Forum Member
    .Martial law was declared in a Major Metropolitan city in the U.S. (New Orleans) and police were not stripped of their powers

Yep. I used to serve under Gen. Honore. I remember him cursing out a military soldier who had her weapon pointed at civilians like she was in Iraq. When on U.S. soil, we are there to serve the American public. For the military to take police powers, the crap has really hit the fan....

Forum Member
    I'm an Operator,
    I operate heavy equipment...

who cares, really.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunslash View Post
    I'm an Operator,
    I operate heavy equipment...

who cares, really.
    good point well made
    I swear down bruv I never touched your motor !!

can you tell me why your sitting in the drivers seat then ?

"Retired"
    Quote Originally Posted by creolecop View Post
    Martial law was declared in a Major Metropolitan city in the U.S. (New Orleans) and police were not stripped of their powers. In fact THEY were augmented by the military, not the other way around.
    You're only partially correct. Actually, martial law was not declared in New Orleans (although police officers were led to believe that may have occurred) and the local authorities were only provided assistance by members of the National Guard, the U.S. Coast Guard, and other federal organizations after a "state of emergency" had been declared. Had martial law really been in effect, control would have been taken over by the United States military (to include the army), and civil laws governing the use of deadly force would have been replaced with "rules of engagement."

If martial law had really been in effect after Hurricane Katrina, a number of NOPD officers wouldn't have been subjected to prosecution for state and federal crimes pertaining to the unlawful use of deadly force. Unfortunately, those guys learned the difference (between martial law and a "state of emergency") the hard way. The state and local politicians who should have known better, escaped relatively unharmed.
    Last edited by pulicords; 03-25-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

South central escapee...
    Quote Originally Posted by creolecop View Post
    Let me say I'm not sharp shooting you, just pointing something out. I think operator is a bit much and we don't say that here, it's just SWAT officer but I think they know their capabilities.

actually , "operator" isn't that far fetched- watch one of the finest SWAT teams around(LAPD D platoon- the other is LASD-SEB) routinely train US military teams in a residential location in my patrol area, as well as cross train- quite a few former military "operators" go on to be "civilian operators" in SWAT teams( an LAPD class mate was in SF )- The some of the abilities and capabilities of the SWAT teams are very comparable to what our military folks are doing.

And even though I know your were "on the ground" during Katrina, I agree with pulicords as "martial law" was never ordered in New Orleans- curfews were....
    "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Not so Special Agent...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stpn2me View Post
    .Martial law was declared in a Major Metropolitan city in the U.S. (New Orleans) and police were not stripped of their powers

Yep. I used to serve under Gen. Honore. I remember him cursing out a military soldier who had her weapon pointed at civilians like she was in Iraq. When on U.S. soil, we are there to serve the American public. For the military to take police powers, the crap has really hit the fan....
    I remember that video well, and didn't even have to be there.
    "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

One man Wolfpack
    For those of you just joining this thread, here's a brief summary of what we have discussed.

http://www.wimp.com/meanwhileaustralia/

M-11

TE Lawrence

Forum Member

The dictionary definition may does include non-military personal, but like I said, if martial law is declared watch the police be labeled civilians and their powers stripped if the military chooses it to be.
    I think your problem is you're seeing it as an on/off -black/white thing, and it's not.

I am a sworn peace officer in my state. I get a commission (Warrant of Appointment) from my state saying (basically) I can do some things that "civilians" can't.

It doesn't mean I'm in the military (even though I work for an organization organized along paramilitary lines), "civilian" in this case means "private citizen who isn't a cop or firefighter". I once found my self in a room full of reporters waiting for a press conference to start. They were journalists, I wasn't, I was the "civilian" in the room.

It's funny that people don't like us using the term civilian because "it belongs to the military", when the military (starting with the British Army IIRC) itself adopted the word to distinguish between themselves and outsiders.

Page 6 of 7 First ... 34567 Last