Forum Member

Recieved an Uncharacterized Discharge From Armed Forces

Hello everyone I received a Discharge 15 yrs ago from the Service and it was an Uncharacterized /failure to meet fitness standards.

Dallas PD said they will not accept my application for Police Officer.
    I told them its not like I was arrested, or did something out of Character.

I have a Masters Degree in Criminology and a clean background and other departments have accepted my applications.

I just want to live and work down south.

Does anyone know if background checks show that if you served in the Military ?

Forum Member
    Background Check or Background Investigation? They are different... Regardless, whatever agency you apply to will find out about military service and discharges... Be honest, up front, and find an agency that will take you. I can promise you that you have a better chance of being hired if you dont try and omit the fact you served and were booted ... Most requirements i know of say you need to have an 'Honorable Discharge" so finding somewhere that is a little more lax may be difficult, but if you lie to an agency about serving you can kiss your shot goodbye before you begin, agency's talk.. lie to one and you may shoot your chance at others.

Forum Member
    Have you tried to get that changed into an Honorable discharge. You know you can appeal I would check into it if I was you with VA

Quote Originally Posted by dante810 View Post
    Hello everyone I received a Discharge 15 yrs ago from the Service and it was an Uncharacterized /failure to meet fitness standards.

I have a Masters Degree in Criminology and a clean background and other departments have accepted my applications.

You will be asked if you served in the military and what your discharge status is for pretty much EVERY police department in the United States.

Most departments will not hire you if you do not have an Honorable Discharge........That is pretty much a hard line in the sand.

There are places that will accept other discharges.................but they are few and far in between.
    I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

I don't get paid to get assaulted, shot or killed....it's a risk of the job but it's not what I'm paid to do.......if I have to taser you to get you in handcuffs I'm going to....--Hot Soup

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dante810 View Post

Virtually every agency in the U.S. will require an Honorable Discharge, or at the very minimum, a General Discharge under Honorable Conditions. Each and every Background Investigation will disclose the fact that you entered the Armed Forces, and the investigation will reveal the nature of the discharge you received. You could, and perhaps should, look into the possibility of having your discharge upgraded. Unless/until that happens, your prospects of employment in the LE profession are virtually nonexistent. Having said all that, I can only hope that you came here seeking honest replies to your question(s). The fact that a given agency accepted your application does NOT mean that you have a shot at employment with that department. The current status of your discharge will remain a major impediment.

Forum Member
    To the OP.

An uncharacterized discharge is neither good nor bad. It is usually issued to recruits who fail to make it through basic training, largely for the reasons you failed to do so.

Check out AR 635-200. Because uncharacterized discharges are issued for a specific reason, you likely won't be eligible to have it upgraded. In other words, an uncharacterized discharge is tantamount to having never served, although you would still be required to disclose same.

Basically the only reason you wouldn't have been given an Honorable is based upon the length of service. In other words, had you been in a year and gotten hurt or couldn't make height and weight, pass PT or whatever, you'd have gotten an Honorable. However, because it likely happened before you completed basic/ AIT( I am assuming it did otherwise you should have never been given an uncharacterized discharge), that's the only distinction.

IMO, so long as you weren't given a Chapter 10, a Chapter 14-12 or a Chapter 5-17, you should be fine.
    Respectfully,

Paddy O'Fernicher

1. Agencies do not have to accept anything less than a discharge under honorable conditions.

2. Even though you did not complete your military obligation, a failure to disclose the fact will automatically disqualify you from employment.

3. You are going to have to shop around to locate an agency that will accept your discharge. Perhaps, when you submit an application, you should write a supplement to go with the app that explains your reason for receipt of the discharge and an explanation of how you have attempted to turn your life around.

Good luck!
    Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

I would agree with what they are saying here. Tell the truth. Dont shame the values the military taught you. Someone will accept you, just keep trying...

Good Luck..

You've shown an inability to meet the standard. Granted it was 15 years ago but, your past history is the best example of your future behavior. Things like this are an instant flag for most departments. Granted, not every cop out there is a super stud but, it certainly doesn't look good for you. If you couldn't do it 15 years ago, it's only going to be that much harder now. You have an uphill battle... very uphill.

You MUST disclose it. Failure to do so will result in you getting flagged as a liar... which will guarantee you never get hired.
    I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
    - Mark Twain

Forum Member
    I had a buddy in the same spot as you, Dallas stated they would not take him right now but, would consider him if he got on with another department for a few years. (I don't remember the exact time line). He did get hired in another city out in West Texas and is having a great time working there. If you are set on Texas shoot me a pm and ill let you know the dept and I believe they are still hiring.

I have an uncharacterized discharge from the USMC, and I am an Officer in Texas. I enlisted in 2006 and was injured during basic training, USMC attempted to say it was pre-existing, and subsequently received an uncharacterized; fraudulent entry into military service discharge. This was not correct as it was not pre-existing so I sought to have it corrected through the Naval Discharge Review Board, and after submitting all my medical records since birth it was corrected to uncharacterized discharge; erroneous entry (the NDRB does not have authority to change it to medical, so they said had they known I was going to get hurt they would not have let me join, same with anybody else). I applied when is was fraud enlist and they went through the motions with me but nothing ever truely serious, but as soon as it was corrected I started getting serious conversations from departments and was hired about 7 months after being corrected (only applied to a few departments since being corrected). The main difference other than the obvious (fraud v. not fraud) is that there is a Marine Corps Order that states an uncharacterized discharge is to be viewed as honorable, unless for misconduct or fraudulent enlistment, for the purpose of non-military employment. I say all that to say that yes you can get hired in Texas with an uncharacterized discharge, and most departments view them on a case by case basis. I also talked to Dallas about this and when mine was fraud enlist, Dallas told me they will not take anyone who does not have an honorable discharge, when it was corrected I called and asked again and was transferred to a Sgt in recruiting who told me, after explaining situation, that I could in fact apply. Take from that what you will, but there are a great deal of departments out there just as good, if not better than Dallas PD, go to the Texas board and you shall see that Dallas PD isn't all it's cracked up to be.
    "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

"In this business your character is your capitol. Deal honorably with all persons and hold your word sacred, no matter when, where, or to whom given."
    Chief SM Farmer - Fort Worth Police Department General Orders - April 27, 1889