Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Why did you become a LEO?

I'm considering a career in law enforcement and am asking every LEO I know:

1: Why did you become a LEO?

2: Is that the same reason you're still a LEO?

Police Officer
    You're considering a career in LE, but want to base our personal feelings on your future?

I became a LEO because that's who I am. I'll stay a LEO because that's all I know.
    Certified troll.

Senior Veteran

To crush the small people.
    Retired

Band-aid jockey
    Been discussed a ton here...do a search.

It's Complicated
    The Chicks.....................they love uniforms
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member
    It was the hours for me.

Forum Member
    I wanted to shoot guns and drive fast. I still like doing that.
    "Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
    Watch your words, for they become actions.
    Watch your actions, for they become habits.
    Watch your habits, for they become character.
    Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Equal Height Equal Light

Badge Bunnies.

Forum Member

Who is LEO?? I kept my name the same... I decided i liked to use the name on my Birth Cert more then the name LEO... LEO just sounds like an old mans name.

I wanted to be a Police Officer for the cows... People often forget that for just pennies a day you too can help protect a cow. Somewhere right now a poor cow is laying in grass and eats just feet from where he sleeps.

Truthfully, It just felt like the right career... wouldn't trade it for anything.. except maybe a fulltime job doing it.. This job market sucks right now.

The .40 Dog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Item9 View Post
    It was the hours for me.
    The hours, really? I did it for the money.
    If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Forum Member

I got into police work because I like dealing with the 5% of my city that sucks at life, it makes me feel better about myself.

No really, in my family you are a cop or in the military, it's been that way since the 1800's. I have been both. I prefer cop, no paid vacations to third world countries.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish56 View Post
    I wanted to shoot guns and drive fast. I still like doing that.
    Haha, this, plus I wanted variety, a challenge, and not to be stuck inside at a desk forever.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JLee View Post
    Haha, this, plus I wanted variety, a challenge, and not to be stuck inside at a desk forever.
    Yes..... I was behind a desk in a cubcle for a few years. Not a day goes by where I wish I would have stayed there. It's like every opening scene of the show cops where the officer's in his car driving around saying "I love being a cop here in _____ because of the variety and excitement. No day is the same, you get to help people, and so on and so on....."

Forum Member

To protect the property and citizenry of...

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Item9 View Post
    It was the hours for me.
    LMAO hahahah thats funny,

I joined for the cool lights and sirens

Forum Member

I'm doing it for the money and weekends/holidays off.

Seriously, I do it because anytime I think about what I want to do with my future I always fall back on law enforcement. I guess it's my "calling".

Forum Member

Policing is one of the few careers where you can truly make a difference in peoples lives every day that you go to work! You do get to drive fast and see things others can only imagine. The salary and benefits are very good, (most) people respect and support you....and it's true...women really do love the uniform!!

Forum Member
    To help people....

Problem is after a few years you figure out you don't get to do too much of it.....but you still keep trying!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityk9cop View Post
    To help people....

Problem is after a few years you figure out you don't get to do too much of it.....but you still keep trying!
    This is part of it but the second part is VERY true. I've been in public safety since 1990. Started as an EMT, then became a Paramedic. After 20 years in EMS/Fire service, being a Paramedic was no longer a challenge for me. I was bored and very frustrated with the way things were going. My wife suggested going to the police academy and becoming a cop. After talking things over with her for a while, I ended up doing it. I have to say that it's been one of the best things I've ever done. Law Enforcement is a new challenge for me. My skills as a medic have been a definite asset in this job and I enjoy going to work again. I don't always win my cases, but I learn how to do things better for the next time.

Plus I get to drive fast, shoot guns and play with cool toys!

Bored

Yep, I love not sleeping regular hours, love working all the holidays and weekends I can get my hands on, love wearing polyesther and 20 pounds of crap around my waist making my chiropractor happy AND RICH....
    Oh and I love driving a car after someone who chews uses it and the smell of chew spit in the summer is delightful
    I got nothing for now

Forum Member

Honestly? I enjoy helping people, but that's not my biggest reason for doing it. Out here, we make enough to have a really decent middle class living. I also really enjoy the unique hours and fact that you get something different every day, and don't know how your day is going to go when you're driving in in the morning. I can't ever see myself working a Mon-Fri, 9-5 desk job.

Forum Member
    My first LE job was as a Deputy Sheriff. I joined because I wanted to make a difference, and I was sick of getting layed off by private businesses. (I went through 2 lay offs)

Forum Member
    To oppress people of color and then revell in their misery and the injustice of it all.

One man Wolfpack
    I always wanted to be involved in the Criminal Justice system.

It's easier to be a good Cop, than a good Criminal so I went with the easy route.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Forum Member
    The media loves cops so I became one. Man was I suprised!

I wanted to become a cop since 6 years old because they could carry guns all the time. Always had a passion for it and became cop in military. After I separated from military I joined a civilian dept. I still like shooting guns.
    What Is A Veteran?
    A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last