Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: TSA disrespects US Marines returning from Afghanistan

Forum Member

Home (Family) in Jacksonville, Florida, USA / Working overseas

TSA disrespects US Marines returning from Afghanistan

Well here we go again, with another display of unprofessional behavior from the TSA this time at Jacksonville, North Carolina (OAJ) airport on 1 March.

Two young marines from 1/6 bravo based at Camp Lejeune (who'd just returned from 7 months in Afghanistan) were going home on 3 weeks leave.

The TSA dumped all of their kit out on the conveyor belts (without using trays) including all of their personal stuff, like military ID cards and medals. Half their belongings got trapped in the X-Ray machine and the rest just dropped through the rollers onto the ground, when exiting the scan.

When they complained, the TSA screener said: "oh well, just keeping moving boys" and left them to pick up all of their gear off the floor.

One of these marines was my son, and as a result of this shoddy work by the TSA one of my son's medals (his NATO / ISAF medal) was lost.

Just wanted to have my rant, guys......

Why would they dump them on a belt?
    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Forum Member

I would dearly love to know why, myself? They turned both their rucksacks upside down and emptied the entire contents of them, onto the conveyor belt. Not only that, but they made my son walk through the metal detector archway 4 times, which is bad practice in itself. After 2 attempts, they should have used the hand-held wand on him.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BritCop in USA View Post
    I would dearly love to know why, myself? They turned both their rucksacks upside down and emptied the entire contents of them, onto the conveyor belt. Not only that, but they made my son walk through the metal detector archway 4 times, which is bad practice in itself. After 2 attempts, they should have used the hand-held wand on him.
    WOW this blows my mind. I work at TSA......for a couple more days....and I know that there are quite a few TSO's that need retraining in regards to respect and professionalism, but that is insane. At the same time there are a lot of active reservists and ex-military that show the most respect for our servicemen and women that work for TSA. Anytime I can I help a service man or woman get to the front of the line. Why in the world would a TSO dump the rucksacks upside down and empty entire contents onto the conveyer belt. This action makes no sense. Was there anything prohibited in the bag that you know of. Ammunition, knives, liquids over 3.4oz? It's unfortunate that this happened.

As far as the hand wand....TSA does not even use those anymore ever since the body scanners came out. The way we resolve alarms (metal) is with a standard pat down process.

I would contact TSA and the checkpoint that your son came through and have the maintenance team that cleans under the machines look for the medal. There are trap doors that loose items fall into as well as a main compartment under neath.
    "Fighting Crime....Suppressing Evil"

Forum Member

Nope, there was nothing 'suspect' in either rucksack. So no reason to empty either one out. Anyway, good luck with your academy in April. Bet your glad to be changing jobs?

I'm gonna level with you, I don't buy it. Not saying you're lying, but facts could easily be lost in the conversation between you and your son. It just doesn't seem true that it happened that way. If it did, I'd call TSA ut I find it hard to believe.
    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

Forum Member

I can assure you that my son is an extremely articulate young man. There is absolutely no confusion in the conversation that we have had, concerning the incident. Furthermore, bearing in mind where he has just spent the last 7 months of his life - he has an unusually 'hightened' sense of awareness. He notices even the smallest of details. I'm quite confident in his ability to recall the circumstances of this particular incident, with extreme clarity and accuracy.

Ok, then I just don't believe it. 'Why doesn't he call TSA?

Forum Member
    "Fighting Crime....Suppressing Evil"

Forum Member

Personally, I couldn't care less whether you believe it or not!
    Last edited by BritCop in USA; 03-03-2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: add quote

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeffIL View Post
    Ok, then I just don't believe it. 'Why doesn't he call TSA?

Personally, I couldn't care less whether you believe it or not!

forum member
    No need to get defensive...Brit

When TSA observes an object inside a carryon that can't be identified and looks suspicious..that bag is isolated..and brought to another area where the items are placed into a bin...until the object is located and identified.

Dumping the contents onto the conveyor belt isn't protocol for them. Perhaps the items in his rucksack were inside the bin...the bins got into a log jam and inadvertently fell into the belt rollers.

TSA doesn't have control of your belongings before it goes into the xray machine..you push the bin with your belongings into the opening. He should have contacted the supervisor right then if he thought the screeners behavior/action was disrespectful.

As for clearing the metal detector...they make ever effort to clear you...if you continue to alarm the alarm must be cleared. This procedure also includes the pilot and flight crew of the plane your son is flying in.

It is unfortunate that one of his medals is now missing. Like Brejcha suggested..contact a TSA manager at the airport regarding the lost medal. Lost items are sometimes found and kept for safekeeping by TSA for a period of time. Every item is logged in...so the manager can check everyshift back to the day it was lost.

If it was me..I would have not left without my medal.

Don't dwell on this incident while your son is home for the next three weeks. Enjoy his company.

Thank him for his service...and if he wants a care package sent PM me with the info.
    Last edited by deputy x 2; 03-03-2012 at 07:31 PM.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Flaps 35 please
    Dumping the contents onto the conveyor belt isn't protocol for them. Perhaps the items in his rucksack were inside the bin...the bins got into a log jam and inadvertently fell into the belt rollers.
    I observed that a few times especially if passengers overload a bin plus I've never seen them dump contents onto the belt either except for shoes.
    Life is what you make of it

forum member
    It always made me chuckle...how they screen the pilots...like they need weapons!!
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Flaps 35 please
    Quote Originally Posted by deputy x 2 View Post
    It always made me chuckle...how they screen the pilots...like they need weapons!!
    They still have access to crash axes and other emergency equipment in the cockpit but apparently TSA never heard of Egypt Air 990.

Forum Member

I have been with TSA for a few years now, and have never seen a TSO dump a passengers personal belongings on the conveyor belt.

Operator

Calling BS..... TSA doesn't dump stuff like that..... They would take it off to the side and put it on a table and go thru it...... Doing it on the belt would jam up the line too much and thats not TSA's MO......

Try again.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat357 View Post

Calling BS..... TSA doesn't dump stuff like that..... They would take it off to the side and put it on a table and go thru it...... Doing it on the belt would jam up the line too much and thats not TSA's MO......

Try again.....
    Yep. Anything is possible I guess, but this story doesn't sound right. On the interweb, if it doesn't sound right, it probably isn't. I don't think the op made it up, but probably not relayed accurately. Plus, I find the just leaving the medal there to be a bit strange.

Forum Member

My son didn't discover the medal was missing (it was amongst 4 others) at the time. It wasn't until he got home to Florida and completely unpacked his kit, that he realized one of the set was missing.

Hustler
    Nope, there was nothing 'suspect' in either rucksack. So no reason to empty either one out. Anyway, good luck with your academy in April. Bet your glad to be changing jobs?
    A Rucksack is not a carry on, nor would it even fit on a plane in the overhead. Their ID's, should be on them, not in a rucksack, however this is all coming from your son.

Not sticking up for TSA, however I don't buy this story one bit. Did they not talk to TSA about their "Lost medals"? Seems he only lost or misplaced one, which he can easily obtain, since i will be on record he received it anyway...just saying...
    Last edited by irishlad2nv; 03-04-2012 at 07:24 PM.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Forum Member
    I've been an airport LEO for 10 years. While I'm not at the checkpoint a majority of the time I have never seen or heard of any screeners dumping the contents of bags directly onto a table. Not to imply your son is lying, but if it did happen it was an absolute rarity and one that would warrant written complaints to every person with authority at the involved airport.
    I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Flaps 35 please
    A Rucksack is not a carry on, nor would it even fit on a plane in the overhead. Their ID's, should be on them, not in a rucksack, however this is all coming from your son.
    Actually passengers have been known to bring larger items to the gate in order to gate check the item for free vs paying a bag fee to check it from the counter.

Forum Member

Both my son and his buddy were carrying their small / over night sized rucksacks, which most definitely are carry on / hand baggage. (His full sized pack had already been checked in) When he approached the TSA screening check-point, he emptied his pockets ie/ wallet, coins, etc into his bag, so as to make the screening process easier (so he thought) which is why his ID card was in there. His rucksack (and his friends) were physically taken PRIOR to going through the X-Ray machine, and emptied of their contents. And no, they were not taken to a separate 'isolation area' for further examination. This was all done at the main / regular check-point.

Senior Veteran

If the incident is accurate as portrayed, it is just another example of the arrogance and disrespect of the TSA. No wonder the TSA now ranks with the IRS as the most disliked Federal Agency in the country.
    Retired

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtScott31 View Post
    I've been an airport LEO for 10 years. While I'm not at the checkpoint a majority of the time I have never seen or heard of any screeners dumping the contents of bags directly onto a table.
    Bingo!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last