Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: TSA disrespects US Marines returning from Afghanistan

Hustler
    Quote Originally Posted by BritCop in USA View Post
    Both my son and his buddy were carrying their small / over night sized rucksacks, which most definitely are carry on / hand baggage. (His full sized pack had already been checked in) When he approached the TSA screening check-point, he emptied his pockets ie/ wallet, coins, etc into his bag, so as to make the screening process easier (so he thought) which is why his ID card was in there. His rucksack (and his friends) were physically taken PRIOR to going through the X-Ray machine, and emptied of their contents. And no, they were not taken to a separate 'isolation area' for further examination. This was all done at the main / regular check-point.
    Ok, again, you are simply going off of what your son and his buddy are telling you and only you!

Why did they put their ID in their rucksack? They need ID to go through a checkpoint. TSA has signs stating that!

Next...quit freakiing complaining. Be glad your son came back in one piece. This is very small comared to what goes on with other families. You really think this is something to cry wolf over?
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
    Although I do NOT like the TSA at all, I have served multiple times in the AOR, and never had them dump out any of my baggage coming in or out........
    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

I don't think this thread went the way the op thought it would. Once again op, I suggest your son contact the TSA about his concerns.
    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Forum Member

Home (Family) in Jacksonville, Florida, USA / Working overseas
    Quote Originally Posted by irishlad2nv View Post
    Ok, again, you are simply going off of what your son and his buddy are telling you and only you!

And I have absolutely no reason to disbelieve what my son (or his buddy) are telling me.

Why did they put their ID in their rucksack? They need ID to go through a checkpoint. TSA has signs stating that!

I think my last post clearly states why he put his ID card / wallet / coins etc. into his rucksack.

Next...quit freakiing complaining. Be glad your son came back in one piece. This is very small comared to what goes on with other families. You really think this is something to cry wolf over?
    Oh, I am glad he's back in one piece (believe me) and so is HE, which is why he is not really bothered about the whole affair. He just shrugged it off.

In fact, this incident bothered me more than it did him, which is why I felt it was worthy of posting about it here.

But obviously you do not agree IrishLad?

Perhaps I should run any future posts I make past YOU first, just in case you don't think they are worthy of mentioning on the forum?
    Last edited by BritCop in USA; 03-05-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typo

Hustler
    Oh, I am glad he's back in one piece (believe me) and so is HE, which is why he is not really bothered about the whole affair. He just shrugged it off.

In fact, this incident bothered me more than it did him, which is why I felt it was worthy of posting about it here.

But obviously you do not agree IrishLad?

Perhaps I should run any future posts I make past YOU first, just in case you don't think they are worthy of mentioning on the forum?
    Really...single me out, good job. Have a nice day! Go hug your son!
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by irishlad2nv View Post
    Really...single me out, good job. Have a nice day! Go hug your son!
    Done.

Forum Member
    I'm sure the story is just dramatized some by word of mouth and filtered differently. The Rucksack, ID card, and medal situation does sound off through. Sounds like the TSA saw something in his bag and made him empty it. I had to do this once for a watch and it was aggravating. This can change perception of an event easily. During the processes some stuff perhaps fell out of the bin onto the belt. This could easily make it sound more disrespectful then it really was. God knows I've done it. My first week in the fleet stories sound insane...... That is just how I remember them...

Just saying, perception creates reality and perception of reality is self-confirming. I'm glad he's home.
    Last edited by semper03; 03-06-2012 at 01:25 AM.

Forum Member

This is not the place to debate whether the incident occurred or not. Sir, I challange you to call and complain to Police Chief Hans Miller, 910.324.1100 Ext 3164. Remember that EVERYTHING there is under constant electronic surveillance therefore, it should be easy to prove or disprove the allegations.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Woffski View Post
    This is not the place to debate whether the incident occurred or not. Sir, I challange you to call and complain to Police Chief Hans Miller, 910.324.1100 Ext 3164. Remember that EVERYTHING there is under constant electronic surveillance therefore, it should be easy to prove or disprove the allegations.
    Already done

Civilian Sheepdog
    Halfway thru this I was reading with a british accent. Good story.... usefor fertilizer.

irishlad2nv, brits hate Irish.

"Po Po coming through!" all rights reserved DJS

'Do we really need 'smart bombs' to drop on these dumb bastards?'

http://www.snipercompany.com/

M16/AR15/M4 Armorer

Critter Cop
    Given that it's the airport serving Camp Lejeune, the chances are high that any field-type baggage coming through may often have live rounds inside from past exercises - usually inadvertently, of course. That may explain the thoroughness.

In my experience, a lack of understanding for the reason why something is done often leads to indignity. And when the story is passed on to a third party, it becomes outrage. I think that's probably what happened here.

Case in point: I wouldn't be getting all bent out of shape about a "missing medal" unless it's a CMH or something irreplaceable. You can buy a NATO service medal at the exchange for a couple of bucks. But the whole story of how "they dumped out and lost one of his medals" is much more explosive, disrespectful, and inflammatory. I think what happened is they didn't like the way they were treated and blew the incident out of proportion (probably unintentionally), which is how a good deal of TSA criticism comes to light to begin with.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deputy x 2 View Post
    It always made me chuckle...how they screen the pilots...like they need weapons!!

Yeah everytime I went through security and was given the full screen and secondary screening, I would always flip my flight case over with a sticker that said, "Pilots trusted in the air but not at security!"...I always got a kick out of there reactions. The TSA concept is good as an idea but in reality its too flawed.

Operator
    Already done
    And...?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    And...?
    I spoke with the PD regarding my son's lost property, but no trace of missing medal.

My son spoke with TSA and filed a complaint - which is currently under investigation.

He was told they have up to 90 day turnaround on investigatons, so just waiting for now.
    Last edited by BritCop in USA; 03-19-2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: edit

It's Complicated
    I spoke with the PD regarding my son's lost property, but no trace of missing medal.

My son spoke with TSA and filed a complaint - which is currently under investigation.

He was told they have up to 90 day turnaround on investigatons, so just waiting for now.
    The wheels of justice works slow....................90 days on an investigation is fast
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Senior Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    The wheels of justice works slow....................90 days on an investigation is fast
    That depends on who is conducting the investigation and for what reason. I concluded many investigations long before 90 days.

I suspect that since the TSA is a bunch of incompetent buffoons, the investigation may never be concluded.
    Retired

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    That depends on who is conducting the investigation and for what reason. I concluded many investigations long before 90 days.

I suspect that since the TSA is a bunch of incompetent buffoons, the investigation may never be concluded.
    I strongly suspect you might be right on that one? Let's just say I won't be holding my breath....

Forum Member

I don't know why, but somehow I was under the impression that military flyers were exempt from being scrutinized. But, then again, you never know. Still, they should have a little more respect for these young men.

Forum Member

Being 'exempt' is how C-4 traveled from Fort Bragg, NC to Texas on a commercial passenger plane. An individual's status in society doesn't make them no less dangerous, for example, Army Maj. Nidal Hassan.
    NarcAgent likes this.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clc014 View Post
    An individual's status in society doesn't make them no less dangerous,
    ^^My thoughts exactly.^^
    Last edited by NarcAgent; 04-26-2012 at 02:09 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clc014 View Post
    Being 'exempt' is how C-4 traveled from Fort Bragg, NC to Texas on a commercial passenger plane. An individual's status in society doesn't make them no less dangerous, for example, Army Maj. Nidal Hassan.
    For what it's worth, I couldn't give a crap if everybody on the plane had their own RPGs as carryon items, let alone a former soldier who accidentally carried on an explosive, or the countless individuals, judges, prosecutors that are caught at TSA checkpoints with their concealed pistol they forgot was in their bag.

These aren't the people we need to be worrying about. We're wasting resources worrying about people who don't intend to do harm, and not focusing on those who do.

It's not the weapon that's scary. It's the wielder. None of our security focuses on the person, just the stuff they're carrying.

Page 2 of 2 First 12