Forum Member

LEOSA And Displaying A Badge

I searched here under LEOSA and found many posts, but I still came up with a question that I have not seen addressed here. When I carried off-duty, or on duty in civilian clothing as a deputy sheriff I always had my badge with me to display. If the sidearm was carried completely concealed, then the badge holder around the neck was available. If it was a belt holster, then the badge was on the belt. In fact, it was sheriff's office policy to have it visible.

For those officers that have retired and carry a sidearm, do any here have a badge that is marked RETIRED that they carry? The reason I ask this is because someone I work with suggested that it would be impersonating a police officer to have a badge that stated retired. In my way of thinking, having a badge near a retired officers sidearm would be a good thing.

On a related note, is anybody aware of ANY agencies that specifically forbid their officers from displaying their departmental badge near their firearm while carrying a weapon off duty? The reason I ask is because I seem to recall quite a bit of discussion about federal law enforcement agencies that, at least in the past, did not grant off duty carry privivleges for their officers. I reviewed the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act Improvements Act of 2010 and it specifically included some agencies. With that in mind, again in my way of thinking, it would seem to be good officer safety to allow those same officers to display the agency badge near the firearm, but I suppose it is also possible that the agency could limit that.

Badge isn't required.....................under LEOSA an IDENTIFICATION CARD meeting the guidelines (as well as an indication of recent qualification) is all that is required. What this means is that the retired credentials stating you are a retired LEO and the attached current qualification statement works like a CCW permit .

STUPID for a RETIRED officer to carry a badge (on the belt) out in the open -------you are no longer a LEO
    I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

I don't get paid to get assaulted, shot or killed....it's a risk of the job but it's not what I'm paid to do.......if I have to taser you to get you in handcuffs I'm going to....--Hot Soup

In my agency we are told that if we carry our firearm off-duty (concealed at all times), we need to carry our shield (badge) and Police ID with us and we usually display just our ID to a fellow officer if for example we get pulled over or the such since anyone can get a shield around here. They also emphasize carrying it on our none shooting side in case of an off-duty scenario where we would be able to retrieve it with your not shooting hand, the neck holder would work in this case as well. And also, if retired we are issued a retired ID. As far as i know we do not have a retired shield (badge). I hope this helps, let me know if I missed anything.
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." ~ Ernest Hemingway

Glock 19
    Glock 26
    Colt LE6940
    Remington 700 SPS-AAC

Law Enforcement Patch Collector
    PM me if interested in trading...

Gopher Fan!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1648 View Post
    I searched here under LEOSA and found many posts, but I still came up with a question that I have not seen addressed here. When I carried off-duty, or on duty in civilian clothing as a deputy sheriff I always had my badge with me to display. If the sidearm was carried completely concealed, then the badge holder around the neck was available. If it was a belt holster, then the badge was on the belt. In fact, it was sheriff's office policy to have it visible.

For those officers that have retired and carry a sidearm, do any here have a badge that is marked RETIRED that they carry? The reason I ask this is because someone I work with suggested that it would be impersonating a police officer to have a badge that stated retired. In my way of thinking, having a badge near a retired officers sidearm would be a good thing.

On a related note, is anybody aware of ANY agencies that specifically forbid their officers from displaying their departmental badge near their firearm while carrying a weapon off duty? The reason I ask is because I seem to recall quite a bit of discussion about federal law enforcement agencies that, at least in the past, did not grant off duty carry privivleges for their officers. I reviewed the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act Improvements Act of 2010 and it specifically included some agencies. With that in mind, again in my way of thinking, it would seem to be good officer safety to allow those same officers to display the agency badge near the firearm, but I suppose it is also possible that the agency could limit that.
    Jim- I know my friend's dad got a gold "retired" badge when he retired after 34 years with a south metro PD. I don't remember for sure, but I seem to recall that it was mounted or in some way made so it couldn't just be carried.

Our guys are given a "Retired" star (also an ID card stamped retired) when they pull the pin. Looks the same as the regular star, except with a lower rocker with "RETIRED" on it. No I wouldn't clip it to my belt. Guys usually carry them in the same wallets they carried the real one in for the last 30 yrs.

No reason to carry a badge unless required by agency policy. If I encounter a cop I will tell them I am on the job and if they ask for proof I will tell them where my credentials are and make sure they are good with me going for them.

A badge means nothing unless you have ID to go along with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSD View Post
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Forum Member
    As a part of our retirement benefit, my Agency awards the retired Trooper his/her active duty badge. LEOSA, as noted, does not require the carrying of the badge, but does require the carrying of agency issued ID. It is this ID which notes my retired status. Additionally, LEOSA will require retired officers to carry evidence of firearms qualification. My agency affords retired officers the opportunity to qualify several times per year for carry under LEOSA.

I carry my badge and ID in my wallet. Most of the time I have another badge attached to my belt where my holster is.

For example, the other month I was coming back from vacation in another state and was pulled over by a Trooper. He approached and gave the usual speech and asked for my license, registration, etc..... I politely state "Sir, I just want you to know that Im off duty and I am armed". While getting my license out of my wallet my badge and ID is very visible. I hand him the documents that he requested. I don't say anymore than that and don't expect anything. A minute later I was sent down the road.

I do this mainly for 2 reasons. I believe its officer safety and common courtesy to let the on duty officer know that he is dealing with an armed subject. Any officer would want to know if he was dealing with someone who had a gun on their person. You don't want to reach for you wallet without telling you are armed and the next thing the Officer sees a gun. It could take an awkward turn.

Secondly I don't want to be a test case where its a States law to notify an officer that you are armed. Not saying that all Officers would arrest another for failing to notify of being armed. Let look at what happened in sturgis because of a state's law.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt jon View Post
    A badge means nothing unless you have ID to go along with it.
    You're 1000% correct. A badge only may require a call to your agency to verify who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by MDPOLICE View Post
    Let look at what happened in sturgis because of a state's law.
    What happened in Sturgis??
    Live with honor, and let not your death be born by the pallbearers of disgrace, cruelty, weakness, and fear.

We issue a badge and id that states retired to officers who are retiring after 20 yrs in good standing.
    Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownDet View Post
    You're 1000% correct. A badge only may require a call to your agency to verify who you are.

Meh...plenty of areas to find fake badges and IDs.....and/or making your own IDs....

Just sayin.....as if it looks hookie, it probably is......and calls need to be made....

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rwandrie View Post
    What happened in Sturgis??

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/loc...493f83974.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rush817 View Post
    We issue a badge and id that states retired to officers who are retiring after 20 yrs in good standing.
    That is the old standard.................
    I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

I don't get paid to get assaulted, shot or killed....it's a risk of the job but it's not what I'm paid to do.......if I have to taser you to get you in handcuffs I'm going to....--Hot Soup

I've seen it happen. The LEO was an Explorer Advisor for their post and he stuck around to help out advising the post for a while after he retired. When he went out to supervise kids with the other uniforms, he'd be armed and have tin on the belt next to it with a RETIRED rocker on their regular style badge.

Quote Originally Posted by mitojo View Post
    I was once thanked by two citizens in one day. Weird.

wgb
    Forum Member
    My agency policy states that the ID card is to be used for LEOSA purposes and until recently carrying the shield off duty was forbidden.That policy seems to be in flux as when we change shield styles to a more federal style shield we will receive a a shirt badge and a wallet badge with new creds also. The city agency I was with before working for the G required the carrying of the complete cred set off duty and required us to be armed off duty, my current agency leaves being armed to officer discretion.
    OF THE PEOPLE, NOT ABOVE THE PEOPLE