Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Increase Bench Press

Can anyone give me the top 10 best exercises for increasing your bench press??? I am having trouble and I am stuck on a certain weight.. I guess I need to chance up my routine a little bit

Thanks

Forum Member

You can do decline pushups (weighted or unweighted), or just do the normal bench press and make yourself add 5 or 10 pounds every two weeks.

DYZ

Forum Member
    Exam # 1302
    List # 8??
    APD-5: Completed
    Medical: Completed
    Social Media Check: Completed
    Written Psych: Completed
    Oral Psych: Completed & Passed
    BI: In Process
    Initial Interview w/ Investigator:Completed
    JST: Passed! 5/15/2013, 9/22/2013 & April 2014
    Mini med: Done on 5/20/2013, 11/13/2013 & 5/9/14

Got the call @ 10:39am July 5, 2014

*How to add a signature - Top right> Notifications>Inbox>Edit Signature (left column)*

Forum Member

Here are my tips on increasing your bench press. I usually do these workouts once a week prior to my daily routine.

Do pushups in the beginning of your workout. Do your normal pushups, then after do wide pushups and finally do the diamond pushups. You want to do 4 sets of 25s (or which your are comfortable at) on each pushup. That should get the juices flowing. It sucks, but it helps.

After your pushups, you want to do some shoulder press. You're probably going be to tired from the pushups. Do 4 sets of 25. Shoulders really does a big part of benching.

After shoulder presses, do some tricep pull downs or tricep exercise you want. 4 sets of 25s.

One more thing. Get a partner and do some negatives!!!

These exercise help me a lot. Just try it out and see if it helps you. Hopefully this helps.
    Aloha!
    Last edited by Naholo808; 03-01-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Forum Member
    I always had issues with increasing my bench. I did all the standard workouts, tried doing chest x2 a week, high weight low reps, low weight high reps, etc, and the only thing that helped was improving my core muscles. No idea why but a meat head buddy of mine told me to increase my core workouts and it has dramatically increased my bench.

Forum Member
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Forum Member
    Nothing to add all great answers
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
    This!

SOI
    Surly Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by burniebb27 View Post
    Can anyone give me the top 10 best exercises for increasing your bench press??? I am having trouble and I am stuck on a certain weight.. I guess I need to chance up my routine a little bit

Thanks
    What is your current program? It's really hard to answer without knowing that.

Forum Member

SOI...

My workout really is a question in itself.. I have very limited time to work out in the mornings with having a very young son. I know that not having the time to put in its going to be harder to increase at a quicker rate.
    Monday and Friday is usually chest workouts -butterflies (machine and/or free weights), bench, incline, dumbell press
    Tuesday is Back/shoulders
    Wednesday is incline press only and then cardio
    thursday is bicep and tricep

Bad thing is and its tough to get a good quality workout, but I only get about 45 min to work out..i can get 5 sometimes maybe 6 lifts in if there and not alot of people there trying to talk to me

Thanks SOI for any help you can give me ..

Forum Member

I was stuck like you once, and I realized it was due to not warming up properly.

Check out Rippetoe's Strength Building Workout. Basically do bench press once on one week and twice on the next. For warm up do 10 reps of bar, 5 reps of 50% weight, 5 reps of 75% weight. Wait 2 minutes and then do 3 sets of 5 reps with your weight (all 3 sets use same weight). Wait 2-4 minutes between each set. After 2nd week (3 rounds of bench press) add 5 lbs to the bar. In the last couple of months or so I've increased my 5 rep bench by 15 lbs.

3 keys to this workout: Warm up, rest between sets, and getting back to basics of lifting.

Civillian
    Quote Originally Posted by jcioccke View Post
    Nothing to add all great answers
    Wrong.

Have more sex with fat chicks.

ftw

Forum Member
    So your triceps/chest are getting 4 days and your legs are getting 0 days workout?????
    Quit doing curls in the squat rack already!

SOI...

My workout really is a question in itself.. I have very limited time to work out in the mornings with having a very young son. I know that not having the time to put in its going to be harder to increase at a quicker rate.
    Monday and Friday is usually chest workouts -butterflies (machine and/or free weights), bench, incline, dumbell press

Bad thing is and its tough to get a good quality workout, but I only get about 45 min to work out..i can get 5 sometimes maybe 6 lifts in if there and not alot of people there trying to talk to me

Forum Member

Something more to add... less is more. Unless you are absolutely ripped, (which obviously you aren't since you still have gym questions) you shouldn't be focusing on the accessory lifts (tricep extensions/curls/incline bench). Also, 30-45 minutes is the max you want to do hard lifting.

Try working out every other day (3x a week) and alternate between these two work outs:
    Workout A: Squat (3x5) , Bench (3x5) , Deadlift (1x5)
    Workout B: Squat (3x5) , Military Press (3x5) , Bent over Rows (3x5)
    Begin each workout with a warm up (Bar x10, 50% weight x5, 75% weight x5)

After a few months of workout out on this work out, then add to your plan. Add Shrugs and Curls on A and Tricep extensions on B.
    Last edited by Seekr; 03-06-2012 at 10:19 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jannino View Post
    Wrong.

Have more sex with fat chicks.

ftw
    That's not gonna increase his ability to bench; if anything, it'll either crush his nuts or give him a killer ab workout (depending on how fat she/they are).

DYZ
    Last edited by dyz4035; 03-06-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Forum Member
    Pushing those heifers off will help boost his bench press.

NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

SOI
    Surly Sergeant
    SOI...

I should have been more specific. What I meant to ask is, when you bench, what weights and rep scheme do you do? What is your max and what percentage do you do on any given day? How many reps at each percentage? What program do you do?

As someone else pointed out, your problem is more than likely the fact that you're hammering your arms 5 times per week. Your arms literally NEVER rest and recover.

I recommend doing Jim Wendler's 5/3/1, benching once a week and using dumbbells as accessory lifts. Then also do a day of overhead press, also with dumbbells. These are what helped me the most. It's a great program.

Of course mostly I recommend doing a full body program that includes squatting, deadlifting, benching, overhead pressing, and power cleans.

Also, I am in and out of the gym in 45-50 minutes every day.

What I do is:
    Bench 5/3/1 with 5 minutes rest between warmups and my 1st set, and 5 minutes between each set.
    Dumbbell bench as heavy as I can for a 10x5, 2 minutes rest between each of the 5 sets set.
    And then doing the 5/3/1 Boring but Big, using a barbell at 50% of my max, for a 10x5, also 2 minutes between each of the 5 sets

And that's it. I basically do the same thing every lift day, except I obviously don't use any dumbbells after squatting or deadlifting, I just do the BbB and then some power cleans.

Civillian
    Pushing those heifers off will help boost his bench press.

Hallelujah!

Forum Member

Bench Press and Physical Fitness Exam
    I received a call from a department where I took an exam last April. I put everything into this exam. I volunteer with the ambulance in the town. I just graduated college, study for what I could for the exam. I scored a 92. I was amped two weeks later received a notice that I was not going considered now and call you when we need you. Almost a year later, the department has called me up and said would you be interested going in for the poly/oral. I am going ahead with that.

Question is our state has the C.H.I.P. exam I can do 50 sit-ups in a minute, I run a 1.5 in 9:30, 22in on the sit and reach. However, I weigh 170 pound and can only bench 145 pounds at this moment. I can do 50 push-ups in a minute. I do not drink or smoke. I am amped that the organization is doing away with the bench press. However, that will not be until the end of May. I hope the oral/poly/background check takes at least until May.

The most I benched was 160 pounds. Three-part question:
    Would I be able to bench 180 by March 24, (2 weeks away)?
    I can drop my weight down by 20 pounds the next test is April 28. I would only have to bench 170. Would I be able to bench 170 pounds in six weeks?

Outside of physical fitness standards for a pool of five candidates going through oral/poly and background checks at the minimum you think will take a month to finish or sooner?

My current workout is
    Monday – Jump Rope/Run/Abs
    Tuesday – Push-Ups/Run/Abs
    Wednesday – Push-Ups/Run/Abs/Dips/Pull-Ups/Dumbells
    Thursday –Bench Press/Fly Machine/Run/Pull-Ups
    Friday Off
    Saturday Run
    Sunday Push Ups/Jump Rope/Run

Saw no sense in posting on the same issue twice.

Feedback needed

SOI
    Surly Sergeant
    Quote Originally Posted by DWL1987 View Post
    Bench Press and Physical Fitness Exam
    I received a call from a department where I took an exam last April. I put everything into this exam. I volunteer with the ambulance in the town. I just graduated college, study for what I could for the exam. I scored a 92. I was amped two weeks later received a notice that I was not going considered now and call you when we need you. Almost a year later, the department has called me up and said would you be interested going in for the poly/oral. I am going ahead with that.

Question is our state has the C.H.I.P. exam I can do 50 sit-ups in a minute, I run a 1.5 in 9:30, 22in on the sit and reach. However, I weigh 170 pound and can only bench 145 pounds at this moment. I can do 50 push-ups in a minute. I do not drink or smoke. I am amped that the organization is doing away with the bench press. However, that will not be until the end of May. I hope the oral/poly/background check takes at least until May.

The most I benched was 160 pounds. Three-part question:
    Would I be able to bench 180 by March 24, (2 weeks away)?
    I can drop my weight down by 20 pounds the next test is April 28. I would only have to bench 170. Would I be able to bench 170 pounds in six weeks?

Outside of physical fitness standards for a pool of five candidates going through oral/poly and background checks at the minimum you think will take a month to finish or sooner?

My current workout is
    Monday – Jump Rope/Run/Abs
    Tuesday – Push-Ups/Run/Abs
    Wednesday – Push-Ups/Run/Abs/Dips/Pull-Ups/Dumbells
    Thursday –Bench Press/Fly Machine/Run/Pull-Ups
    Friday Off
    Saturday Run
    Sunday Push Ups/Jump Rope/Run

Saw no sense in posting on the same issue twice.

Feedback needed
    You might, maybe, possibly be able to get 20lbs on your bench in 2 weeks if you improve your technique a lot. Look into Dave Tate's "so you think you can bench?" Series on youtube. I believe it's a 5 part series. Also look for Dave's "5 most common bench press mistakes" video. You might have 20lbs in you if your technique is garbage, but the odds are against you at your weight and with how weak you currently are.

Also, throw in some heavy dumbbells after benching. As heavy as you can go.

The best thing you can do is start a basic strength program and be prepared for the next test. If you can't bench your own body weight, you're weak. You need to change your program up a lot. You're in great cardiovascular condition, but what are you going to do when a criminal decides to stop running and wants to stand and fight?

Learn to program strength and conditioning. Jump rope is cool........ As a warmup for squatting and deadlifting. Pushups are a good workout too, but you top out your strength quickly using only body weight. There is only so much ab work you can do. Your abs get strong to a point, then you're just going through the motions and sculpting, but not getting stronger.

Cut back to a couple of days of conditioning per week and do 3 days of heavy lifting, and have 2 days to recover. Throw in your jump rope, running, abs,etc all into 2 days and be done with it. You won't lose your cardio conditioning and you'll get stronger.

Forum Member

I'm amazed by how you can do everything SO well...as in very well... but not be able to bench at least your own body weight. The 50 push ups in a minute is pretty good as well. A push up is roughly 50-60% of your body weight. Considering you can do more than half your weight 50 times, I don't see where doing your body weight should be a problem.

Weight lifting has a lot to do with the mind as well. If you pick up the weight with a "not going to happen" mentality, it won't. Believe you can lift it, especially since your dream job is on the line.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GrayPatriot View Post
    So your triceps/chest are getting 4 days and your legs are getting 0 days workout?????
    Quit doing curls in the squat rack already!
    Exactly my thinking. Too much chest, not enough legs and back.

Forum Member
    ^ This program works 100%. I did it and so did 2 friends and we all gained at least 50 lbs on our 1RM.

Civillian
    ^^ look who finally decides to come back around. where have you been stranger?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jannino View Post
    ^^ look who finally decides to come back around. where have you been stranger?
    Hey brother. Ive been around, just not posting as much. I hope all is well with you.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last