Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Member

Unhappy I just saw Federal LEO's with Magazine Pouches on the REAR of their Duty Belts

At a county open-shoot today, I had the pleasure of meeting quite a few Federal officers. CBP was there in force, and I noticed something very strange.

All of their guys and gals had their duty rigs configured with mag pouches in the back. When I say the back, I mean really in the back....small of the back. Like where our latex glove pouches go. I did a double-take, then a triple-take. There was no way these guys were going to try and reload from behind their back.

Sure enough...they did. Fumbling behind them to open the mag pouch, pop in a fresh mag, and get back in the fight.

I didn't want to insult them, but I had to ask what the reason for this was. The resounding answer was "because it's agency policy."

Do any of you know of other agencies that do this? I'm thinking this was an elaborate prank to make other agencies try this nonsense. However, if this is really how their wear their belts, I'm both shocked and depressed with our Federal LE training.

Caution: Unvetted member. KenW.'s Avatar
    Seems like an invitation for disaster.
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Forum Member
    Thats borderline unbelievable (Get it? Borderline...CBP...No?). That can't be CBP policy, and doesn't make a lick of sense no matter how you look at it.

Forum Member
    When you say CBP, what do you mean specifically? Put another way, what color were their uniforms?

Forum Member
    Its not a policy across the board for all federal agencies. I don't know why they would do that though.

I've seen guys carrying a second magazine carrier in the small of back, but this was in addition to their primary mag carrier up front. Carrying my primary reloads in back....I don't think so.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

I wonder if they were basically non-uniformed officers who were there shooting with a uniform
    "duty belt" rig.

Sounds to me like "admin" types who haven't been in the field for a while.
    I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

I don't get paid to get assaulted, shot or killed....it's a risk of the job but it's not what I'm paid to do.......if I have to taser you to get you in handcuffs I'm going to....--Hot Soup

Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka! QuietPro's Avatar
    I'm federal, and it's policy for us to carry our pouches on the FRONT of the belt, pouch right-side up. Other than that, they don't really care how you configure it. So this stupidity must be an agency thing, it is not blanket federal policy.....
    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Quote Originally Posted by vacbanned4 View Post
    At a county open-shoot today, I had the pleasure of meeting quite a few Federal officers. CBP was there in force, and I noticed something very strange.

All of their guys and gals had their duty rigs configured with mag pouches in the back. When I say the back, I mean really in the back....small of the back. Like where our latex glove pouches go. I did a double-take, then a triple-take. There was no way these guys were going to try and reload from behind their back.

Sure enough...they did. Fumbling behind them to open the mag pouch, pop in a fresh mag, and get back in the fight.

I didn't want to insult them, but I had to ask what the reason for this was. The resounding answer was "because it's agency policy."

Do any of you know of other agencies that do this? I'm thinking this was an elaborate prank to make other agencies try this nonsense. However, if this is really how their wear their belts, I'm both shocked and depressed with our Federal LE training.
    First off, way to call out Federal LE training only by going off of a few people. Second, again, way to go calling out LE in general and throwing others under the bus.

It's like most of us say, we were not there, so it seems you are going to be the only with stating this. Did you take pics?

But I will say, I call BS on agency policy only since I have seen first hand CBP/BP train and have worked with them and neither have done this.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Forum Member
    It's not CBP/Field Operations policy. My mag pouch is mid-line, covering my belt buckle.

Weird placement indeed.............but if they ALL were like that...I guess "training" and muscle memory will fall in place WTSHTF. yikes!
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Forum Member
    I've never seen that before. Every border patrol agent I know has their pouches located in the front. Some carry a second set of pouches in the rear, and im pretty sure i have never read any such policy. I will go check the CBP internal website when i get into work tonight. maybe customs has a new policy in the works...

Forum Member
    "...because it's agency policy."

As noted, it is not. And I can't think of a reason they'd want to do it that way. Even allowing for an inordinate amount of time operating in confined spaces doesn't explain it.

SHU

Were they wearing blue uniforms or green? I can't see anyone who wears the mean green of the USBP doing that.

DAL
    Customs and Border Protection does not equate to Border Patrol. You probably saw some investigators or admin types who were from Customs or some other part of the agency that rarely work in uniform in the field.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

With a rifle rig I keep several Mags at the 8 O'Clock so I can get at them in the Prone a little easier.

I keep 2 reloads for each gun on my thigh and the rest on the front.

What you describe is silly and weird.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Forum Member
    More info after speaking to fellow officers today.

The guys were from the West Palm Beach, FL unit of Customs and Border Protection Field Operations Division. At least that's what I'm being told by the guys I work with who know some of them.

They were wearing dark blue's with black leather belts (no velcro underbelts) and duty gear attached directly to the leather belt. The belt was configured like this:

Pistol on the lateral strong side
    Mags to the rear, slightly favoring the support side
    Handcuffs to the front strong side
    Keyrings varied by the person

I didn't remember seeing any batons/radios/tasers/glove pouches/etc.

The uniform was a dark blue polo style shirt with "CBP FEDERAL OFFICER" on the back. and dark blue BDU's.

Most of the people from that agency appeared to be older (late 30s and up), overweight, and appeared generally unkempt. Most of your assumptions regarding that they are admin or support staff might be correct. In addition, they all came in either unmarked CVPI or Marked "Customs and Border Protection Field Operations" CVPI's.

My Sgt. seems to think that they put mag pouches to the rear because of a regional administrative change by some genius brass who never worked the road in his/her life.

I will get more info and possibly pictures if I see them again.

edit::

I still maintain that they were trying to prank other agencies into trying it. There is no way I can believe anyone to be that ignorant to order their guys to mount mag pouches to the rear.
    Last edited by vacbanned4; 02-26-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Most of the people from that agency appeared to be older (late 30s and up),.
    OH -------------there area a bunch of us that could really cut into you for THAT remark
    I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

I don't get paid to get assaulted, shot or killed....it's a risk of the job but it's not what I'm paid to do.......if I have to taser you to get you in handcuffs I'm going to....--Hot Soup

Forum Member
    Late 30s is old? Ban him. ;-)

In know CBP does some wierd things. That just wierd peroid.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -- Winston Churchill

"Remember: Right now someone is training so that when they meet you, they beat you. Train hard, and stay on guard."--Dave Spaulding

SHU
    When the heck did late 30s become old?

Forum Member
    I'm guessing from the lack of batons/glove pouches/etc. and the non-standard dress that there was little if any attempt to run with standard CBP/OFO uniform policy. Maybe the mag pouch placement was an equally non-standard approach specifically directed for the task at hand.

Whatever is was, it's not national OFO policy.

Thank God I'm only 35.

Looks like a couple more years before I have to go climb into my dying hole...

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

vac....heres the Number to that Port of Entry... (561) 844-1703.

Call yourself and ask them. Seems as you have your info second hand if you are getting it from your "SGT"?

Naive are you? I am just saying this as you are still calling out another LE agency on here and to think they are attempting to "prank" others.

And to be in your 30's is not old there pal.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Forum Member
    lol relax gents...no need to be hostile about age. I said OLDER, not old. Most of the guys at my agency (barring SGTs and up) are in their 20s.

Secondly, I saw what I saw, and I asked others what the deal was and 10-5d it to you guys. If you don't like it, oh well

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast