Forum Member

Inspection Sticker Color Coding

I have a question related to Pennsylvania inspection (and emissions) stickers... I am not sure if anybody on this forum would know the answer, but so far everyone that I have asked couldn't provide me with an answer.

As far as I can tell, PennDOT decides upon a different color each year for the windshield inspection and emissions stickers. I used to believe that there was only one color per sticker, per year chosen, but lately I have been seeing multiple colors for the same year. For instance, the majority of the 2012 stickers that I see on cars are green and yellow (one is inspection, one is emissions, I don't recall off the top of my head which is which) but I have noticed quite a few orange and brown 2012 inspection stickers on cars lately.

I noticed that the 2013 stickers are a tint of orange as well, but the ones I am speaking about are 2012 stickers.

So I guess the question is: Are there multiple colors of inspection stickers issued by PennDOT for each year? The brown and orange 2012 stickers I have only noticed over the past few months or so, and the expiration months for all of them have been the latter months of 2012. I have never noticed different colors for the same year in the past when I was driving, so it seems like a new thing...either that or they're counterfeit?

I don't really have any specific reason for asking, solely my own curiousity. I drive quite a lot within Pennsylvania so I tend to notice these things... Thanks in advance for any answers that can be provided.

Forum Member

They change the colors every year. The colors are different for annual/ semi-annual inspecttions.

Forum Member

The anwer to your question is yes. They use 2 different "colors" per year.

Forum Member

Thanks, guys. It sounds like the two colors per year is the answer to my question.

Stay safe out there!