Forum Member

NYPD Duty Holster

Hey all,

I am currently in the process and want to start doing some drills with what i may potentially be working with. I read somewhere that the NYPD duty Holster is a Safariland model 295 level II holster. I'm just looking for confirmation.

Also, if someone can give me the make and model of mag pouches are and what the type of target is the NYPD standard would be awesome too.

Thanks

Forum Member

Buying the holster will cost you 150.00 + on your own. You will get one in the academy,(part of the equipment package, costs 45.00) there will be plenty of time to practice. Get on the job first, then use range time to practice.
    The JOB

Forum Member

Have you even been offered the job yet? I don't recomend anything like that on your own because you might develop bad habits that can cause you a problem when and if you get on the job. If you want to shoot go ahead but just shoot, don't worry about targets, work on your shot group.

Forum Member
    I'm a good shooter, former Marine 0311 and Designated Marksman, Shot Expert, security contractor overseas, I shoot all the time. Its not my groups or practice i am concerned about, their tight. I merely want to get some time with police duty style holsters because i have alot of time with concealed and drop down holsters, but not duty types and want to get some mechanics and muscle memory down. Since i am in the running for NYPD, I figure id work with what they are issued. Cost doesn't matter.
    "Any nation that does not honor it's heroes will not long endure"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Forum Member

As a Police Firearms Instructor in this State, I can tell you that there are times people with your qualifications can have a hard time on the range. You are committed to your way of shooting and not the way the Instructor wants you to shoot, i.e. stance, grip, etc. if you are truly bent on buying a duty rig, go to any Police supply store and buy it or if you have a friend on the NYPD, ask him to pick it up for you and you will save some money

Forum Member
    I understand the bad habits and the instructor may want you to shoot differently. I taught CQB style shooting from 50 meters in in the Marines w/M16A4. If thats the case, then I will just adapt to what the instructors say. I have changed my shooting style a couple of times in the years after a few different sessions with instructors and operators I have worked with in the past. However, you know how two holster may not be alike, some have thumb breaks, others have trigger guard retentions or a button. I like to shoot the way i may be carrying, get a feel for the controls. just another tool in the old tool box ya know so I was looking for the specific make and model of what NYPD carries. I asked a friend of mine in the academy, he didn't know! HAHA!
    -Abraham Lincoln

Forum Member

I like the others must agree don't bother...Your first week at the range when/if it comes you will shoot thousands of rounds and you'll get plenty of holster work and dry firing that 12lb trigger pull. I'd be more concerned with that since by the time you get on guns(on duty and off), holsters, duty belts, mag pouches are all subject to change.

I was at requal today, new holsters have been approved but not finalized, still rumors of the smith M&P. Also everything from 1pp(minus turtle necks) is usually crap. I have safariland mag pouch that Suffolk uses b/c I've had 2 from 1PP that broke, same with duty belt, crap, belt keepers are crap. If you are still inclined to go purchase your own equipment do so, but buy quality genuine leather equipment. Lastly to answer your question my holster is a Safariland 2955 for a glock 19.

Forum Member
    That trigger is big time. Big difference from my stock 5.5 on my glock. Thanks for the advice and the info.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Forum Member

If you are set on getting a holster and mag pouches no matter what, tell your friend in the academy to set up an online account with the equipment section. They will mail the items right to his home, and you can pick them up. THe holster is 45.00, the mag pouches I believe are 15, and the gun belt is 15. If you buy all of that stuff seperately, I would say you are looking at the 200.00+ range. Good luck
    The JOB

Forum Member
    Lowest I've seen the holster online civilian is 130
    -Abraham Lincoln

Forum Member
    as was said, I wouldn't bother. I understand your mind set, coming from the military and all, but it's a holster, drawing/holstering is not rocket science. You'll get plenty of practice at the range, and/or you can take your gear home anyway and practice there....
    if you set up a "mock gun belt" right now and practice drawing, you'll develop muscle memory...when (or IF) you actually get on the job, your belt will be set up & weigh differently, so you won't really be ahead of the curve...

good luck either way

Forum Member
    Anyone know if the retention system for the 295 is the same as the 2955. I'm going to say they are the same except 295 is a mid ride and the 2955 is low.
    -Abraham Lincoln