Forum Member

Hormone (Testosterone) Replacement Therapy disqualifying?

Hey everyone. Im getting out of the Marine Corps after 5 years of active duty service. 2 years Security Forces, 2 years Infantry and the last year being a military police officer out here in Hawaii. In my past I have dabbled in performance enhancers and as a result, naturally my testosterone levels are a bit low. If I had a perscription and was on testosterone replacement therapy, would that in itself disqualify me from most police jobs? I heard of a lot of officers doing it but I was wondering if I could get some confirmation. Thx

Forum Member

M[PH][/PHP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Radraaz View Post
    Hey everyone. Im getting out of the Marine Corps after 5 years of active duty service. 2 years Security Forces, 2 years Infantry and the last year being a military police officer out here in Hawaii. In my past I have dabbled in performance enhancers and as a result, naturally my testosterone levels are a bit low. If I had a perscription and was on testosterone replacement therapy, would that in itself disqualify me from most police jobs? I heard of a lot of officers doing it but I was wondering if I could get some confirmation. Thx
    H

No, prescribed testosterone therapy is not disqualifying. However, your past dabbling with performance enhancers may be. Steroid and growth hormone abuse is usually a felony offense (assuming that's what you're referring to)

Forum Member

Yes, I have heard it is a felony conviction if caught. I however have never been charged with such possession of androgenic anabolic steroids. In terms of taking a polygraph and lying, there were many LEGAL prohormones and designer steroids that i took that are now banned. I am not as concerned of my actually test levels, as I am about landing a police job. Since perscribed testosterone is actually a synthetic steroid, I would have no reason to lie on my polygraph if i needed to take one. The perscription is simply a means to make sure my stupid past mistakes don't effect my future.

(--GOD--)
    Yes, I have heard it is a felony conviction if caught. I however have never been charged with such possession of androgenic anabolic steroids. In terms of taking a polygraph and lying, there were many LEGAL prohormones and designer steroids that i took that are now banned. I am not as concerned of my actually test levels, as I am about landing a police job. Since perscribed testosterone is actually a synthetic steroid, I would have no reason to lie on my polygraph if i needed to take one. The perscription is simply a means to make sure my stupid past mistakes don't effect my future.
    Ya, I'm all natty. I wont lie though, I did start to do a Test E cycle (1st 4 shots) last November but due to a health and comfort room inspection got caught, Thank god nothing ever came of it.

So you took drugs and want us to tell you its ok to either lie or help you justify what you did in your mind as an acceptable practice and that your integrity is something that a department should take a gamble on... Wow, just wow!
    Last edited by Buffaloboy; 02-05-2012 at 09:57 PM.
    Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

forum member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffaloboy View Post
    So you took drugs and want us to tell you its ok to either lie or help you justify what you did in your mind as an acceptable practice and that your integrity is something that a department should take a gamble on... Wow, just wow!
    +1

Radrazz- What was your reason for "dabblin" ?? I'm no doctor and don't know how much "dabblin" causes low t......but I would think it would take a bit more than "dabblin".

Personally...I wouldn't want you as a beat partner. Just my 2 cents.

Seems like you're trying to cover your past with a prescription and like Buffaloboy it's an integrity issue.

Seems like your integrity is a bit on the shady side.
    Last edited by deputy x 2; 02-05-2012 at 10:45 PM.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Forum Member

I was an amateur bodybuilder for a few years while in the Marine Corps. I know plenty on integrity and have been instructing my fellow team members for a while on the issue. Im not trying to have it covered up, but if I don't have an excuse to do what I did (stupidity), I simply forfeit my entire reasoning behind going into the Marines and getting my BA in Criminal Justice. I am hugely against drugs, and while I may sound like a hippocrit, I do not categorize crack as the same things as natural male hormone that adds lean muscle mass.

Forum Member

If the "performance enhancers" you took in the past were at the time of your taking them in fact lawful for you to take, that should not in itself be an unlawful behavior concern, except insofar as it may be viewed as evincing an attitude of trying to circumvent legislative and regulatory intent by exploitation of the fact that it often takes longer to prohibit something than it takes for the something to become widely available.

(--GOD--)
    I was an amateur bodybuilder for a few years while in the Marine Corps. I know plenty on integrity and have been instructing my fellow team members for a while on the issue. Im not trying to have it covered up yes you are you are trying to justify it in your mind and asking for our blessings to continue to do so instead of growing some integrity of your own, but if I don't have an excuse to do what I did (stupidity), I simply forfeit my entire reasoning behind going into the Marines and getting my BA in Criminal Justice well then forfeit away then because if you don't practice what you preach or in this case inject into your body then you have no integrity. I am hugely against drugs, and while I may sound like a hippocrit thats because you are, I do not categorize crack as the same things as natural male hormone that adds lean muscle mass.what about pot or the resin scrapped from the poppy plant??? Those are natural.
    Last edited by Buffaloboy; 02-06-2012 at 03:10 AM.

One man Wolfpack
    You are a no go for my agency.

We do not give a poly, because we investigate your background answers on our own.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Forum Member

The answer to your question is no, I take a prescribed T injection every week (recovering from a brain tumor that killed my pituitary gland) and I have been cleared by all dept's that I have applied to for it. What you did in the past, if subjected to the application process, needs to be brought to light on use of steroids or performance enhancers. As long as you are honest about it and it is not within your current lifestyle, you may be competitive in some agencies.

And Semper Fi brother!

Hustler
    How did the military not catch what you were taking?
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Forum Member

Military doesn't test for roids, neither does most police agencies unless you give them a reason to think you're on gear.. IE raging

Forum Member

And here I was going to ask if you were planning to have a hysterectomy! jk

Forum Member

Th Aewegner for the reply. My only dream as a child was to be police officer but I also got caught up in bodybuilding too much. It became an obsession to be the biggest and best and I took an illegal substance to get there. I am not trying to hide or over anything up and if I have to disclose my past I will. I only wish to give back to my country one more time, this time outside of the military. Im not just going to go and abandon my dream of becoming a police officer.

Semper Fi

(--GOD--)
    Th Aewegner for the reply. My only dream as a child was to be police officer but I also got caught up in bodybuilding too much. It became an obsession to be the biggest and best and I took an illegal substance to get there. I am not trying to hide or over anything up and if I have to disclose my past I will. I only wish to give back to my country one more time, this time outside of the military. Im not just going to go and abandon my dream of becoming a police officer.

Semper Fi
    If it was your only true dream then a little light would have gone off in your head that would have warned you that if you do this it could and probably will destroy your chance of becoming an Officer. It would have also warned you that doing something to cheat nature would call your integrity into check and be a huge red flag. You justified it to yourself so that you felt that it was an acceptable practice because you decided to classify it differently than a drug like crack or heroin however it was still a controlled substance and a drug none the less that you injected into your body.

So in closing... You took an illegal drug, you didn't have a prescription for it, you obtained it illegally and self medicated without the supervision of a physician.

Forum Member

To be honest with you, the only person that can answer your question is a recruiter for the agency you want to apply for. Most people here are applicants and are not familiar with all policies out there... Be honest and you will probably get hired some where.

Best of luck to you!