Page 3 of 25 First 12345613 ... Last
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: FWC Academy beginning Sep 10, 2012

Forum Member

Thank you for the replies...

To OnlyFWC4me:You stated..If you already sent both the State's AND FWC's supplemental off hardcopy via USPS, without the TABE and BAT - you may not even get an invite to the PAT and already screened yourself out.

I am assuming these are instructions that would be relayed to me soon after I applied online to FWC? A next step would be sending both the state and FWC hard copies?

And I plan on calling a recruiter to make sure I am following all necessary steps.

To:MrsSmith:
    I also saw the 83k max range on the website but somehow think this is a typo and should be 38k.
    I have seen many posts labeling this as a low paying position and don't see how that could be with a 83k max out.

Forum Member

scroll down to FWC in the agency box and take a look at what we're making. http://dmssalaries.heroku.com/salaries

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wannbeefwc View Post
    scroll down to FWC in the agency box and take a look at what we're making. http://dmssalaries.heroku.com/salaries
    Officers working since 1970s or 80s still making 38k?? I cannot believe there are LEOs making this little amount of money! At least some kind of raise would be nice.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CivilServant14 View Post
    Officers working since 1970s or 80s still making 38k?? I cannot believe there are LEOs making this little amount of money! At least some kind of raise would be nice.
    I know, right? Supposedly Jeb Bush got rid of the step pay plan long ago. You do, however, make an extra 10k for working in the keys.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wannbeefwc View Post
    I know, right? Supposedly Jeb Bush got rid of the step pay plan long ago. You do, however, make an extra 10k for working in the keys.
    I just find it amazing that a position where you risk your life (whether FWC or MDPD) has no incentives. I understand low starting pay but 20 years into the force and still making around the same pay with inflation and all is demoralizing. It would be nice to at least keep up with rising fuel and food costs.

Forum Member

Glad to find this thread. Intend on submitting my application before the window closes on april 30. Waiting to take the tabe and cjbat. Does anybody know the projected timeline for this round of apps. I assume they are all about the same but thought I would ask. Also I am older than the average app.(I'm sure). was wondering the average age that is in the academy now and what the oldest in the academy is right now? Thanks and keep the info coming.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kthuntz View Post
    Glad to find this thread. Intend on submitting my application before the window closes on april 30. Waiting to take the tabe and cjbat. Does anybody know the projected timeline for this round of apps. I assume they are all about the same but thought I would ask. Also I am older than the average app.(I'm sure). was wondering the average age that is in the academy now and what the oldest in the academy is right now? Thanks and keep the info coming.
    We have a few people in their late 30's and early 40's in our class. If you have what they want, can still PT, and are in good health, age won't be an issue.

Forum Member

Glad to hear it. Mkes me feel better bout my chances. I'm in my mid 30's.

Forum Member

Thank you for the replies...

To OnlyFWC4me:You stated..If you already sent both the State's AND FWC's supplemental off hardcopy via USPS, without the TABE and BAT - you may not even get an invite to the PAT and already screened yourself out.

I am assuming these are instructions that would be relayed to me soon after I applied online to FWC? A next step would be sending both the state and FWC hard copies?

And I plan on calling a recruiter to make sure I am following all necessary steps.

To:MrsSmith:
    I also saw the 83k max range on the website but somehow think this is a typo and should be 38k.
    I have seen many posts labeling this as a low paying position and don't see how that could be with a 83k max out.
    Civilservant14: I copied this from the website: A copy of the State of Florida application and the original FWC Supplemental Application, to include all required documents and written tests must be mailed together to:

FWC Academy
    75 College Drive, Suite 102
    Havana, FL 32333

Applications are valid for one (1) year from date of submission. If you have any questions please call 850-558-4080 or contact a regional recruiter.

The first page of the supplemental application has a checklist on it which mandates certain documentation, including TABE and BAT results. They expect it to be submitted along with the applications, both, that you are mailing in, in addition to any supporting documentation. In my opinion, you are expected to follow the steps now since they posted them on the website, or on the applications, for everyone to see and understand in advance. The basic philosophy from an employer's perspective is: "If a candidate can't follow written instructions now, how will they follow them for me later as an employee?" - Nonetheless, the recruiters are there to help you BEFORE you send off packages, etc. A good one will sit down with you and go over your package in advance, and I highly recommend this. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am by no means, an expert, but I can share my experiences and what I've learned while observing this process during the last decade. That said, I'm still trying to get the job. lol But listen to Wannabeefwc because he's already on the inside and still helping out the rest of us "wanna-bee's".
    Last edited by OnlyFWC4me; 03-06-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Forum Member

Glad to hear it. Mkes me feel better bout my chances. I'm in my mid 30's.
    I'm over 40. During the PAT, I out-scored 90% of my group, who were in their 20's. I received a few nice compliments from the training staff, but nothing over the top. There was no mention of my PAT scores at the interview; and they didn't seem to care that I wasn't in my 20's. My life and work experiences (military background) could be construed as far more valuable than ones sole ability to run a mile and half in 9 minutes. That's great stuff, mind you - but they are looking for a lot more than good PT skills in a candidate. My recruiter told me the PT portion is simply pass or fail - so as long as you pass, you get looked at and considered just like anyone else.

Forum Member

I just find it amazing that a position where you risk your life (whether FWC or MDPD) has no incentives. I understand low starting pay but 20 years into the force and still making around the same pay with inflation and all is demoralizing. It would be nice to at least keep up with rising fuel and food costs.
    Low pay without raises is the number one complaint officers have, and it's a real challenge that the commission has hanging over their heads. Legislators control this though; don't hold it against the FWC. This is a tough reality to accept, but one that you need to be willing to accept in order to be hired on. Everyone is told this up front, so no one can act surprised later on. You really have to be in love with the job in order to live on this measly salary - and at time, put your life on the line. No one on the job does it for love of money. In my opinion, the starting salary is fair, but the fact that longevity raises are not factored in, is indeed, a slap in the face. So, to be successful for the long haul, one must have a long-term financial plan with the foreknowledge that FWC's salary is minimal and relatively unchanging. Personally, I've done my research and my homework; put in my time elswhere to increase my over-all income, and now I will be able to love and enjoy this job without the worry of low pay.

People don't plan to fail; they fail to plan.
    Last edited by OnlyFWC4me; 03-06-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyFWC4me View Post
    I'm over 40. During the PAT, I out-scored 90% of my group, who were in their 20's. I received a few nice compliments from the training staff, but nothing over the top. There was no mention of my PAT scores at the interview; and they didn't seem to care that I wasn't in my 20's. My life and work experiences (military background) could be construed as far more valuable than ones sole ability to run a mile and half in 9 minutes. That's great stuff, mind you - but they are looking for a lot more than good PT skills in a candidate. My recruiter told me the PT portion is simply pass or fail - so as long as you pass, you get looked at and considered just like anyone else.
    I have no military experience. I plan on training to meet the earlier age requirements. I have no le experience either. I hope I am not the only one in this age class like that. Also, is the pay during academy full pay?

Forum Member

Anybody know anything about s.o.g.? Pay increase, qualifying for, or anything else about it? just curious

Forum Member

do you have to take the tabe if you have your bachelors degree ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeoHopeful11 View Post
    yes

Forum Member

Anybody know anything about s.o.g.? Pay increase, qualifying for, or anything else about it? just curious
    I don't think there is a pay increase, but they are the first to be called out during a natural disaster or situation requiring their capabilities. That would probably equate to some over-time, which is generally time & 1/2 pay. I believe officers must have at least 3 years with FWC before they can apply for SOG, and I know that they train an additional two times per month. You have to be in peak physical condition - the standards are higher for those who want to serve on SOG.

Originally Posted by LeoHopeful11
    kthuntz is correct - the TABE is still required for those who have a degree already.

Forum Member

I have no military experience. I plan on training to meet the earlier age requirements. I have no le experience either. I hope I am not the only one in this age class like that. Also, is the pay during academy full pay?
    Good question for Wannabeefwc! My understanding is that it's still full pay, but it would be great to get confirmation on that.

Forum Member

Anyone get called by their investigator yet? My background just started.

Forum Member

Mtoro, when did you turn in your app? This cycle ? last year? Just curious

Forum Member

Every recruit gets a full paycheck! Unfortunately, SOG receives no extra pay for their services. They do, however, receive better weaponry and more training. To apply you have to have 3 years experience and you have to perform at a higher level on the cooper.

Unfortunately, everyone has to take the tabe unless you're already certified. The good news is is that it's a very easy test. I went to barnes and noble and bought a tabe practice book and got the highest grade on the tabe which is a 12.9. Come to think of it everyone I know has gotten a 12.9. also, you don't have to get every answer correct to get a 12.9.

Forum Member

*BTW, wilderydude is formerly known as wannabefwc. changed the name for obvious reasons.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtoro View Post
    Anyone get called by their investigator yet? My background just started.
    Crickets chirping.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderydude18 View Post
    *BTW, wilderydude is formerly known as wannabefwc. changed the name for obvious reasons.
    Outstanding. Thanks for staying with us and providing insight. It's much appreciated.

Forum Member

Absolutely!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rookie904 View Post
    Mtoro, when did you turn in your app? This cycle ? last year? Just curious
    I applied for the announcement at the end of last year, PAT in January, Oral February 28. Moving pretty fast.

Page 3 of 25 First 12345613 ... Last