Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: DAF police

Forum Member

DAF police

Just a general knowledge thread for DAF officers to find out what's going on at other bases. Maybe we can help each other with some issues if it has been resolved on your base.

Couple questions:
    Is everyone is tactical unis? We have our dress unis but they haven't authorized us to wear them yet

Does everyone stand in guard mount formation, attention, parade rest and about face - give post orders?

That's all I can think of for now.

Forum Member
    We are in dress uniforms all the time. We have an SRT. We do formal guard mount once a month if that.

However we are 100% DAF, with a couple IMA Air Force airmen.
    Senior Correctional Officer
    FCI Dublin

Forum Member

IMA? That's interesting to know. We are still 50/50 when it comes to civilian/military.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raidergx View Post
    Go to your base's website and look on the right and side you see a link for ICE. Its the Air Forces version of complaining, it goes strait to the Commander and SGM.

https://ice.disa.mil/index.cfm?fa=si...id=429&dep=DoD

We get yelled at all the time because our Administration never listens but the minute that an ICE complaint comes in policies change. So now Police Officers use the ICE complaint to get things done. Then we get yelled at and the cycle continues.
    Ty Raidergx

Forum Member

@ Eglin, we're 50/50 with the military but almost two different positions. The current 0083's work off main base in proprietary jurisdiction on the test ranges and recreational areas. Almost a game warden position. We're supposed to be attending guard-mount but haven't in months because military flight changed their hours and they won't pay us overtime to come in early. We're currently wearing three different uniforms because incumbants had uniforms already and now the new-hires are following the uniforms described in AFI 31-283 even though it hasn't been fully approved yet. Big mess here. We have three or four different SCPD's floating around and we're currently in the process of converting the guards (with no police experience) over to police positions. Just found out today that we'll soon be required to accomplish electronic CDC's.

Have other DAF unit's started implemending the uniforms/standards/PT standards in AFI 31-283?
    Is anyone else having problems with managment instituting new stadards or directives without going through the union first?
    Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Forum Member

I have a coworker who said that a friend of his, whose just been hired on out west as a 0083 DAF, has not been given a badge to wear. Now he's apparently standing gate, or on patrol with no badge. Anyone heard of this?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by iwtlatswy View Post
    Have other DAF unit's started implemending the uniforms/standards/PT standards in AFI 31-283?Is anyone else having problems with managment instituting new stadards or directives without going through the union first?
    We have no uniform standards in place here at Tyndall (yet). We have had management stone wall the union on a few issues, such as if you hold a police certification or have attended a command assigned police training academy then you are still required to QC yearly on whatever certs. you have right now. If you can't pass your QC, you receive paperwork & try again in X amount of days. Fail again & your terminated. The union is trying to squash that, but management is anti union & being a royal pain...(typical day)

Forum Member

We're wearing TDUs right now, due to the season. Some places may be a bit different, and not everyone is following the AFI or policy to the "tee". Some locations have different uniforms than others, this is something that will probably be centralized soon.

As far as the whole guardmount/roll call formality and military customs and courtesies (i.e. standing at attention, facing movements, reporting your post in a military fashion), some do due to their background, some do because they believe they are supposed to, and some don't for many reasons.

Personally, I don't, but that doesn't mean I'm trying to be disrespectful, disruptive, nor too casual in presence. It's more of a personal preference for myself (for reasons not for this forum), and I do not berate anyone who does. I'm someone who used to be in the military at one time, not a retiree, reservist, etc. So different strokes...

Our job is what it is. It could be a really sweet, professional gig, if allowed to be, but we're (for now) treated with a passive neglect and met with a lukewarm enthusiasm. Not so much a complaint as it is an observation. I have no illusions about what it is.

Forum Member
    All have to QC here, even though they were fully qualified Army DACP a few months ago. However the QC is very easy.

Our management is famous for picking and choosing which policies they want to adhere too. It does seem to be getting better though, or I am just used to it now.

Our union is very ineffective and we are trying to get FOP to take over as the union for us.

We are allowed to do a full range of Law Enforcement activities, Fort Sam is in the middle of San Antonio and we are basically an open base. So we get a lot of rif raf in the gates. I am so amazed how a person will drive up to you at the gate and have expired registration and safety sticker and have warrants/suspended license. I have done several arrests/apprehensions and only been here 6 months or so, we are busy for a base.

Our only problem seems to be former Army management hating the way Air Force does things so they wait to the last minute to institute required changes.

You have to take a PT test to keep your job once a year. PT test before you start also.

We have plenty of OT, at least 3 to 5 people are on OT on swing shift a day. We have some people that do 40 hours of OT a pay period....Hence the IMA's
    Senior Correctional Officer
    FCI Dublin

Forum Member

"All have to QC here, even though they were fully qualified Army DACP a few months ago. However the QC is very easy.

Our management is famous for picking and choosing which policies they want to adhere too. It does seem to be getting better though, or I am just used to it now.

Our union is very ineffective and we are trying to get FOP to take over as the union for us."

Sounds like Eglin.
    Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Forum Member

The whole quality control thing is a joke. Our Asst. Operations Officer is a nazi about wearing your hat. Like we don't look enough like rent-a-cops already.

Much like everyone else, they pick and choose the policies we want to follow.

Forum Member

doesn't have to be DAF its sounds like DOA lol......what a constant cluster F&*k on all our bases, our force is downsizing through attrition and starting to become more of an open base/post. Anyone else see this happening at their base. We had 95 original spots July 2010 and want to go down to 45 we have about 62 warm bodies right now we lose about 2 people a month to other real jobs. We are so short handed everyday and they stopped ot months ago.

Forum Member

Lol keep it coming!! I got a shot at AF base down here, and I'm looking forward to taking the job for a number of reasons. But I'm always looking to know more about what I'm getting myself into. I got a buddy at the base I'm looking at though, and I got a pretty good idea of how it is, it has it's issues but I am more than ok with it. It's always interesting though to see how messed up some places are and how well organized others are. Newport was a good working machine, Southcom was a complete and utter disaster! DoD in general needs some organization from the top down to make it a more efficient force and not just on the branch level but DoD wide.

Forum Member

Any airforce civilian police officers on here please PM me I have a few questions
    Last edited by michaelrossjustice; 03-13-2012 at 09:34 AM.

Forum Member

I'm in the process for a civilian 0083 Police Officer position with the Dept. of the Air Force for Andersen AFB in Guam. Obviously, this would be a huge step. It'd be a foot in the door with the feds, but I am not reading too many good things about the position. Pay isn't the greatest and there is no housing available on base. No credentials or badges issued, and no weapon issued either. Apparently you check out the M9, government owned handgun at the beginning of your shift and turn it in when you're done. I've also read that they are not covered under HR218, therefor no off-duty carry. Does anyone know what the hiring process entails? I know they attend the VA academy in AR. Thanks, guys and girls. Stay safe.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by FL5OH View Post
    Air Force for Andersen AFB in Guam.
    A. Are they PCSing you to Andersen if you get hired...? If not, that's a HUGE chunk of change to move from FLA to Guam.....

B. Have you ever been to Guam....? Its a completely different world....even more so than Hawaii. Cost of living is high and its very remote....and kinda reminds me of Hawaii 20 years ago with a some modern stuff (like internet). If you need to get back to the Mainland for an emergency, it would take a while and a huge chunk of change.

Just some thoughts from someone that has been there recently.....

Forum Member

No, sir, however, I'm single with no kids, so the relocation expense would be "minimal", albeit still high. I have been applying to a lot of 0083 positions lately, and I got myself mixed up. This is actually a position with the Dept. of Navy, but its on Andersen AFB. In the email I got last night, it looks as though someone from the Dept of Air Force is actually doing the background however. Any differences between the two "agencies"? Will my concerns above with the Dept Air Force carry over to the Dept of Navy, IE, no creds, off-duty carry, etc?

I've never been to Guam, but I have friends who have been and they loved it. I was asked if I was still interested in the position and I told them that I was. After I get some more research done, I can always turn the job down if it's not worth it. Thanks for your help. Stay safe

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    A. Are they PCSing you to Andersen if you get hired...? If not, that's a HUGE chunk of change to move from FLA to Guam.....

B. Have you ever been to Guam....? Its a completely different world....even more so than Hawaii. Cost of living is high and its very remote....and kinda reminds me of Hawaii 20 years ago with a some modern stuff (like internet). If you need to get back to the Mainland for an emergency, it would take a while and a huge chunk of change.

Just some thoughts from someone that has been there recently.....

One Night In Bangkok
    The positions at Guam are Dept. of Navy police not Dept Of AF police. Guam is a joint base with the navy in control.

Joint Region Marianas
    I don't work - I merely inflict myself upon the public.

Operator
    so the relocation expense would be "minimal", albeit still high.

I'd still ask about PCS....but thats just me.

I'd avoid shipping a vehicle and buying one there.....it would cost you out the rear to do so. West Coast to Hawaii is 1K....

I'd also bring the bear minimum of stuff you need and buy stuff once you get there....so you can keep costs down.... Just me.

Any differences between the two "agencies"?

Not really. You'd go to a local academy instead of the VA Academy in Little Rock, Arkansas and you'd be paid by the Navy and not the USAF. I think they have their own thing there. Hell, you might go to the academy here that the USMC runs..... Never know. And yes, I'd be asking that question.

Will my concerns above with the Dept Air Force carry over to the Dept of Navy, IE, no creds, off-duty carry, etc?

No creds, no off-duty, no LEOSA Coverage. Thats the way it is for all DOA, DON, and USAF 0083 positions.

I've never been to Guam
    I'd highly suggest going out there or making contact with folks out there before you leap. As stated, its way different that where you are at and way different than here. Everytime I go there, I think of it being about 20 years behind Hawaii....and Hawaii tends to be about 5-6 years behind the Mainland. Fuel/food/milk/prices are thru the roof there due to everything having to be imported. I THINK you get PX/Comm privalges but not sure. I'd ask....as that could save you a ton of bucks.....

At least you will have access to the worlds largest K-Mart.....
    Last edited by Bearcat357; 05-04-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Forum Member

I haven't been to Guam in over twenty years, but the water is amazing. I pulled into a commercial port and could see the bottom at 70 or 80 feet. I lived in Hawaii before and enjoyed Hawaii more, but Guam seemed nice.

If you like Japanese girls you will be in heaven.

Forum Member

Bearcat357-

I took your advise from when I was in Iraq, similar name to my name now. I went to DLA and a DHS unit outside D.C., My ? is the AF, DA, ect dont carry creds...? At DLA we had creds, and the DA guys at the US Army Civ Police Academy had somthing like creds..lol, not the same; and of course DHS had creds but after FLETC, and I was under title 40. Anyway, I left but getting back into the mix.

Anyone out there, listen to Bearcat and Orlando50, very good informants....
    Last edited by MPK9; 05-05-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by MPK9 View Post
    My ? is the AF, DA, ect dont carry creds...?

Not supposed to according to AFI. Same with Army and AR-190-56.

Does it happen..? Yeap. Some commands will make and issue their own creds....

Forum Member

Well I shore hope they do. At least front what I've seen, the airforce true to get their peeps state certed. Not sure if all do but will see what we.can.get in here on that.

Forum Member

No state cert at Eglin for DAF Police or SF. Also no creds. They're doing everything in their power to give us less authority and not more.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iwtlatswy View Post
    No state cert at Eglin for DAF Police or SF. Also no creds. They're doing everything in their power to give us less authority and not more.
    Go Marine Corps, we're issued FBI type creds. Overkill if you ask me, but it's better then no creds.
    Law Enforcement Officers Equity Act (H.R. 1362)
    Sign this petition that will change the retirement benefits for federal police officers currently not covered. No registration required.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last