Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Spotted as a Rookie

Forum Member

Spotted as a Rookie

The other day we did a felony stop on some wanted guys, am still on my FTO phase so I was one of the cover officers. We got the subjects out of the car and cuffed them. They were sitting on the on the curb next to the car when out of nowhere the one guy looked at me and said "you must be a rookie or in training". I was standing next to three other officers and he picked me off as the rookie . My FTO and I just laughed when we got back in the car and he said they just know. During the entire stop I never said a word, I just did what I was suppose to do as a cover officer. I find it funny and crazy how he picked me off as a rookie.
    Last edited by SRT8-305; 01-11-2012 at 07:36 PM.

Haterade Distributor
    Are you baby faced? That's done it for me a few times.
    50gorillaunit likes this.

Forum Member
    Yeah I am, never took that into consideration of that might be a reason.

Haterade Distributor
    Most likely, It may also be the tone you speak to people in and how you say things. If you are direct and to the point, they may take you for a seasoned pro. "Verbal Judo" may help.
    ret2991 likes this.

Hustler
    Could be many variables and they could have been seasoned criminals..either way, take it and put it on your tool belt. You will hear many things over yout time and this will not be your first. At least you laughed about! Be safe!
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USMARINE View Post
    Most likely, It may also be the tone you speak to people in and how you say things. If you are direct and to the point, they may take you for a seasoned pro. "Verbal Judo" may help.
    Thanks for the advice, am going to look into the Verbal Judo.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irishlad2nv View Post
    Could be many variables and they could have been seasoned criminals..either way, take it and put it on your tool belt. You will hear many things over yout time and this will not be your first. At least you laughed about! Be safe!
    Yes, I am definitely adding that to the tool belt. And I could not help but laugh cause in my head I was like "how the hell did he know" lol

Battering Ram of Justice
    A seasoned criminal can size-up a cop as well as a seasoned cop can size-up a criminal.
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USMARINE View Post
    Are you baby faced? That's done it for me a few times.
    Apparently I look like a 16 year old when ever I get out of the car. I don't think there has been a day that's gone by where one person didnt give me the "You dont look old enough to be a police officer."
    Aust likes this.
    "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Haterade Distributor
    I've had that happen a few times. Most of them say I'm not old enough to have that gun.

forum member
    heee heee!

You can always tell a noob! Relax.......it will come with time. It could be something so simple as the spit shined boots but probably just mannerisms. You'll settle in...
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Forum Member

Hah! I have been on the streets for almost four years and people from time to time will call me a rookie. A lot has to do with the baby face, but I'm also in good shape, squared away uniform with polished boots. I have people ask if I am prior military too.

I actually had one guy I stopped on traffic ask if I was a rookie because rookies, according to him, were the only ones stopping vehicles for no turn signal and such. Hah!
    Respect All, Fear None

Forum Member

When I was on FTO, I had a 15 year old girl tell me in an accusatory voice "You're new, aren't you." She was only just beginning her criminal career, so maybe she figured we had something in common. But yeah, I know people can spot me as a rookie. I think the rookiness will only wear off with time and repitition.
    A lot of what I notice about the senior officers is their dialogue during field interviews. I take mental notes about what I hear officers saying or asking.

A few nights ago I impressed myself with some witty comebacks for a guy who was more or less stonewalling me during a Family Violence call. He told me he and his old lady had "wrestled" a little bit that night. I asked him to be more specific, and he wouldn't give me anything so I asked him if he was wearing spandex and hitting her with a metal folding chair because that's what comes to mind when someone tells me they were wrestling.

Nonetheless, I'm a rookie and I know the bad guys can spot it, so I will have to compensate with vigilance and confidence.

Tinfoil Hat Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta784 View Post
    A seasoned criminal can size-up a cop as well as a seasoned cop can size-up a criminal.
    Indeed they and we can.

It is what it is. They know and your local d bags know the cops. When you get a few years on, you'll watch a new guy and understand.
    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

DENIED!
    You have to stand in a bladed position and talk with our hands in your torso area while making self handshake motions with yourself. This makes the perps think you mean serious business and ready to go down and dirty.

Just Relax. . . .
    people tell me i look like i still belong in high school. . . .although the people who have seen me on stops or assists and other calls say i dont act like a rookie

Always Learning

I've gotten that more than a few times lol.

Forum Member
    That's funny. I just had this happen to me this week. I feel I am settling in and getting more comfortable being a Parole Agent after 7 months on the job, but I had a guy make a comment to my partner as we were putting him in the car to transport him to jail yesterday that took me by surprise. Like some previous stories he stated "is this guy in training or what" referring to me. It struck me as odd because I'm not sure where it came from. The guy was acting pretty weird and making jokes, but I was all business and not laughing at them. Honestly that's just my work personality, I am pretty businesslike. We had just proned him out with weapons drawn to make the arrest and then had a K-9 run through his stuff looking for drugs. My boots were shiny but that's just how I am also. I don't know what made him think that, or how he knew that I am still in the FTO process. I worked in the prisons for five years before making it out into the streets and I don't consider myself to be very "rookie" even though I know I still have a lot to learn about my current position. Apparently the criminals can tell though. The fish cop smell wore off on me in the prison after a while and I guess it will take a while to wear off out here also.
    Last edited by IdahoPO; 01-14-2012 at 12:03 AM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adeutch View Post
    When I was on FTO, I had a 15 year old girl tell me in an accusatory voice "You're new, aren't you." She was only just beginning her criminal career, so maybe she figured we had something in common. But yeah, I know people can spot me as a rookie. I think the rookiness will only wear off with time and repitition.
    A lot of what I notice about the senior officers is their dialogue during field interviews. I take mental notes about what I hear officers saying or asking.

A few nights ago I impressed myself with some witty comebacks for a guy who was more or less stonewalling me during a Family Violence call. He told me he and his old lady had "wrestled" a little bit that night. I asked him to be more specific, and he wouldn't give me anything so I asked him if he was wearing spandex and hitting her with a metal folding chair because that's what comes to mind when someone tells me they were wrestling.

Nonetheless, I'm a rookie and I know the bad guys can spot it, so I will have to compensate with vigilance and confidence.
    That is an excellent comeback for the wrestling story.

Deputy Sheriff
    Deputy X2 hit the nail on the head. Mannerisms. WHATEVER YOU DO. Do not try and act like a veteran. It makes matters worse and will **** off the guys and gals you work with. Let it come naturally brother.
    Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Forum Member

Everything stands out. how old u look, how new your uniform is, and belt, if you didnt say anything and they are used to smartass remarks, and if u look like a robot. Eventually you develope your character, but dont tryto adapt anyone elses.

My apartment got broken into and my duty belt was taken. I got all new leather. Some noobie civilian on the block thought i was new, but a regular pointed out that i just had new stuff. They pay attention. Yea scary, but something to keep in mind. My regulars notice when i do something to my hair better then my husband!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAlpha4 View Post

... but a regular pointed out that i just had new stuff. They pay attention. Yea scary, but something to keep in mind. My regulars notice when i do something to my hair better then my husband!
    They really do even notice the small things. I arrested a guy a 2nd time (1st time was a foot chase) and he quickly commented on the new boots I was wearing. Said he didn't run this time because if I caught him the first time wearing my old ragged boots there was no way in hell he was getting away with my new kicks.

Band-aid jockey
    Even though I look young like most of the guys and gals that commented so far...I rarely get the rookie accusation anymore. Last person asked a few months ago...sergeant chevrons and all still thought I was a rookie.

Looking for you

Maybe your gear looks too new? Or you managed to grab your 8 point hat at a felony stop?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last