Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

What branch of the Military offers the best opportunities as a police officer?

Not interested in joining the military at this point in time, but was just curious because every time i look at the military law enforcement forum i see nothing about how bad they treat the police officers and how they are further restricting military police officers from performing standard police duties. What's a current day in the life currently as well too if any of you guys are currently hired in one of these positions?

Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
    Your grammar and usage are terrible. I bring it up bluntly because if you intend on applying as any kind of LEO position, you really need to pay attention to that.

That said: Most, but not all officers of the various DoD branches are veterans. You ask about which branch is the best for opportunties. That is also a difficult question; because each service has their own "personality". The USMC has the fewest bases, and thus the fewest choices for assignment locations; you are basically limited to the east or west coast. That said, the USMC is also one of only branches in the military that employs GS-7 patrol officers; most of the branches offer GS-5 or GS-6.

The Army and Air Force have both announced their intentions to cut personnel soon and proceed with RIF's if not enough people accept buy-outs. Further, both those branches frequently hire for term or temporary positions.......meaning you can be let go with little notice and no guarantee of being hired back. Now is not a good time to apply for DoD officer positions, IMHO, not only for the generally bad way that they are treated by all the branches...... but because DoD is going to take huge hits in future budgets.

"Day in the life" is largely dependent on the individual branch and especially the size of the base. Concurrent or exclusive jurisdiction also comes into question. Some officers spend most of their time on gates, checking ID's and doing force protection/guard duties. Some officers patrol large, high-crime military housing areas. Some officers patrol bases no larger than a few blocks with no housing whatsoever. Like I said, it depends greatly.........
    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

Forum Member

The answer to that question is like asking which brand of soap gets you the cleanest, what brand of car is the best. etc.......my point is the answer will vary person to person, place to place, with all the duties that we do, and all the different ways the various bases and branches do it is hard to answer. it is a fun job, it is a crappy job, I love it and hate it all at the same time.

Forum Member
    I think the largest would have the most crime, units, training, and therefore opportunity? As a Marine (infantry) I would assume the Navy or Army has the most opportunity. Marines get screwed on the training slots and schools (smaller and less funding). The Army looks like the most attractive to me per crime and sheer numbers of personal. Also, it has advancement into CID enlisted positions. Some Marines I would assume a few get tasked out to NCIS though most are civilians or Navy?

Air Force appears to get the best training (Some Federal Civilian schools?) but less crime so its depends.

I'm just guessing, maybe someone with more experience can chime in. I'm also interested in this question. With the minimal research I have done my initial choice appears to be the Army as a career. My RE code is gtg for reenlistment and I might have to try to get back in if I cant land a job here soon.

Thanks,
    Last edited by semper03; 01-11-2012 at 12:34 AM.

Battering Ram of Justice
    If you mean which branch is best as far as opportunities to do police work, then it's the Air Force Security Forces, hands down. Army MP's (I speak from experience) are glorified light infantry soldiers who do little (and less and less with implementation of the Department of the Army civilian police) law enforcement. Marine MP's also do a lot of police work, but you'd probably have to agree to a long enlistment to get a guaranteed MP slot.
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta784 View Post
    then it's the Air Force Security Forces, hands down.
    Not anymore..... USAF SF guys and gals are focusing more on ground base defense and less on LE work..... and are deploying in herds over to the ME. Most have 2-3 trips over if not more......and they aren't driving in patrol cars and running radar over there.

Lots of the AF LEO jobs are being converted over to DOD Civilians...... Same with Army, USMC, and Navy..... A check of USAJOBs clearly shows that......

Forum Member
    I noticed, but a Bachelors and 4 years infantry seems to only get you the "Qualified by not referred to hiring authority" email.... I got two so far. I think they want or at least it appears they only want prior military police or civilian cops.
    Last edited by semper03; 01-11-2012 at 05:57 AM.

Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
    ^^^ Not so. I know people who got in just on the veteran merits alone. It's not your quals, I will bet dollars it's because your Federal resume isn't written "strong" enough; lacking the keywords and phrases that will make it past Resumix and look favorable to H.R.......You should consider hiring a professional service that specializes in Federal resumes to re-write yours. It will cost you about 300 bucks, but it's a good investment IMO.....

Forum Member

^My wife used to work for the Forest Service, and her job was assisting people with Avue and assisting people with writing their online resumes. The system is set up to recognize key words and phrases. You could be the most qualified guy in the world, if you dont use the words the system searches for, a high school kid who knows the terms will beat you. Avue is the classic example of what happens when you try to automate common sense. So the idea of hiring someone who knows how to do it isnt far fetched. Yes.....its sad, but thats how it works. Nobody is saying embellish or lie. But if your score is being lowered because you use the word "tactical" instead of "strategic".......

I am assuming these military civilian police officer slots require you to use Avue as well?

Forum Member
    I will look into it. My resume got me an FBI phase 1 invite but it's not necessarily geared for the DOD police so this could be the problem.

Thanks,

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietPro View Post
    Your grammar and usage are terrible. I bring it up bluntly because if you intend on applying as any kind of LEO position, you really need to pay attention to that.

That said: Most, but not all officers of the various DoD branches are veterans. You ask about which branch is the best for opportunties. That is also a difficult question; because each service has their own "personality". The USMC has the fewest bases, and thus the fewest choices for assignment locations; you are basically limited to the east or west coast. That said, the USMC is also one of only branches in the military that employs GS-7 patrol officers; most of the branches offer GS-5 or GS-6.

The Army and Air Force have both announced their intentions to cut personnel soon and proceed with RIF's if not enough people accept buy-outs. Further, both those branches frequently hire for term or temporary positions.......meaning you can be let go with little notice and no guarantee of being hired back. Now is not a good time to apply for DoD officer positions, IMHO, not only for the generally bad way that they are treated by all the branches...... but because DoD is going to take huge hits in future budgets.

"Day in the life" is largely dependent on the individual branch and especially the size of the base. Concurrent or exclusive jurisdiction also comes into question. Some officers spend most of their time on gates, checking ID's and doing force protection/guard duties. Some officers patrol large, high-crime military housing areas. Some officers patrol bases no larger than a few blocks with no housing whatsoever. Like I said, it depends greatly.........

Hahaha.... sorry. I didn't realize till now the three times i used currently in the last sentence, and the extensive run on first sentence. I have good grammar but when i am on a forum it isn't always the center of my concern. Sorry good sir

Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka!
    ^^^ No worries, bro. It was meant as a constructive criticism, not a snipe.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by c.whicker View Post
    Not interested in joining the military at this point in time, but was just curious because every time i look at the military law enforcement forum i see nothing about how bad they treat the police officers and how they are further restricting military police officers from performing standard police duties. What's a current day in the life currently as well too if any of you guys are currently hired in one of these positions?
    If your not considering joining the military then whats the point in asking this question?

You want to know why a current day in the life is for a military policeman? Deployed or stateside? What branch of service? (I really don't want you to answer these because I don't think you truly care about military police)

You should focus your attention to something that you are interested in and do some research first before lobbing vague questions around.

Cant keep it under 100...
    I'm confused.

Are you asking about "Military Police" or "DoD civilian police?"

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticCop View Post
    If your not considering joining the military then whats the point in asking this question?

You want to know why a current day in the life is for a military policeman? Deployed or stateside? What branch of service? (I really don't want you to answer these because I don't think you truly care about military police)

You should focus your attention to something that you are interested in and do some research first before lobbing vague questions around.
    Hey Artic cop, i said i wasn't considering it at this point time, but it is definitely not out of the picture for me. The point of me asking this question is to knowledge myself on military law enforcement in the event i ever did enlist. I was curious about what a stateside day in the life in each branch of the service (from anybody whom as worked with the different branches performing this duty) And if you don't want to chime in on my question or contribute anything than why write something, sir. Sorry for lobbing such a vague question out there, i will give you that, but i believe it is something that hasn't been discussed all in one post and i thought it might be interesting to see some diverse feedback. I am INTERESTED in the subject matter.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unit453 View Post
    I'm confused.

Are you asking about "Military Police" or "DoD civilian police?"
    I was talking about military police that are enlisted, not civilians, but are performing police work on u.s. bases. I know from what i've read that a lot of positions in military law enforcement on the bases are being taken over by civilians, but i am referring to military personnel that are still working patrol.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietPro View Post
    ^^^ No worries, bro. It was meant as a constructive criticism, not a snipe.
    Gotcha, I appreciate it.

Operator
    i am referring to military personnel that are still working patrol.

Quite frankly, it depends where you get assigned.....as most Army MP Units still have their combat mission and will get deployed to the Middle East and/or do deployments around the world to support the US training/assisting/intregating with various Allied Countries.....

That goes for the AF and the USMC as well......

If you opt to join the military, be prepared to go to war. If you aren't ready to do that, then don't join......

Solo is how I roll
    Your posts
    How old are you?

One man Wolfpack
    The Military is not currently an environment in which to learn the trade of LE. If you want to be a cop, go be a cop. If you want to go support military operations, join up.

This is more simple thn we make it.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Critter Cop
    On resume writers...

I would do some research on how to write good KSA's. The same techniques you find that way - often for free - are exactly the same techniques that one of those 'professional' resume writers is going to use while they take your $300. Just my 2 cents.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Solo is how I roll
    When I ask someone a question on an open thread, it’s not because I want them to PM me.

If you have problem posting your age; just say so. But if you must know the reason I asked was because, your response to QuietPro and ArticCop slapped of immaturity.

I served four years in the Air Force as an SP and have been in civilian LE for over 13 years. Maybe they or I could have helped you. But since you grammar is not of much concern to you on here and because of this endearing statement:
    And if you don't want to chime in on my question or contribute anything than why write something, sir.
    I rather not.

By the way I'm 38. Good luck in all your future endeavors.

One man Wolfpack
    Quote Originally Posted by statebear View Post
    When I ask someone a question on an open thread, it’s not because I want them to PM me.

If you have problem posting your age; just say so. But if you must know the reason I asked was because, your response to QuietPro and ArticCop slapped of immaturity.

I served four years in the Air Force as an SP and have been in civilian LE for over 13 years. Maybe they or I could have helped you. But since you grammar is not of much concern to you on here and because of this endearing statement:

I rather not.

By the way I'm 38. Good luck in all your future endeavors.
    Jesus, You're old...

No wonder you're so cranky.

M-11
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;

TE Lawrence

Solo is how I roll
    Quote Originally Posted by M-11 View Post
    Jesus, You're old...

No wonder you're so cranky.

M-11

I doubt your much younger then me brother. Unless, besides you guys having eagle eyes, you also have the fountain of youth down at the detachment HQ.....

One man Wolfpack
    2 years is a lot in dog years right?

M-11

TE Lawrence

Page 1 of 2 12 Last