Forum Member

duty gear question

I recently accepted a full time position with an agency, and to my knowledge, they're providing me with just about everything I need duty gear wise. However, prior to today, I worked for a small department as an auxiliary where I had to provide all my gear.

My new department mandates all duty gear must be basketweave with brass or black snaps. Well, as luck would have it, I have CHROME snaps for my cuff case and keepers. A friend suggested I paint the snaps black, but I am not sure if anyone has done this and had luck. And if so, what type of paint did you use? I don't want my gear to look like crap. I spent a lot of money on my gear, and I'd rather make use than for it to sit around and go to waste.

Input would greatly be appreciated!

TIA
    Last edited by ttemper; 12-13-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttemper View Post
    I recently was offered a full time position with an agency, and to my knowledge, they're providing me with just about everything I need duty gear wise. However, prior to today, I worked for a small department as an auxiliary where I had to provide all my gear.

My new department mandates all duty gear must be basketweave with brass or black snaps. Well, as luck would have it, I have CHROME snaps for my cuff case and keepers. A friend suggested I paint the snaps black, but I am not sure if anyone has done this and had luck. And if so, what type of paint did you use? I don't want my gear to look like crap. I spent a lot of money on my gear, and I'd rather make use than for it to sit around and go to waste.

Input would greatly be appreciated!

TIA
    So, what's wrong with just using the gear they give you?

I switched departments a couple years ago and had a similar story. I had to provide all my gear at my old department, but the new agency gave me everything. I just found it less of a headache to use the gear that I was issued for a couple reasons. First, I knew it would be authorized and second, if any of it broke or became unserviceable, I could just exchange it for new stuff. I couldn't do this if it were gear they didn't issue me.

If you insist on using your old gear, just tape everything off real good that you don't want to paint (ie all the leather) and use a good quality black, or flat black, enamel spray paint. Should hold up pretty well. But I still recommend using what is issued.

Caution: Unvetted member.
    snaps can be replaced at most upholstery shops if you need it.
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Forum Member

The only reason I am adamant about using my own gear is because I spent too much money on it for it to just lay around and not get used.

If my Sargent insists on using the gear they provide, I'll just have to try to sell my old gear.