Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Policy regarding steroid use for RSO and neighboring departments?

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the policies regarding steroid use for applicants with either Riverside Sheriff's Department or neighboring agencies(i.e. San Diego, Orange County, San Bernardino). I'm filling out a PHS and was wondering if anyone that has any relative experience/knowledge could shed some light or give some advice on the subject matter.

Here is my experience:

In September of 2005, during football season of my senior year, some of my teammates were using anabolic steroids to bulk up and get stronger. I irresponsibly decided to get involved. With the limited exposure my high school team received from scouts, I was under the misguided impression and selfishly hoping that using the steroid would increase my exposure to any possible scouts/recruiters. I tried a six week cycle of Deca-Durabolin from September to October of 2005. Each week consisted of two injections. The drug did not help with any exposure to receive consideration from scouts/recruiters, and instead, ended up being my biggest mistake and regret in my life. At the time, I was unfamiliar with the dangers associated with steroids. In addition, I was not aware taking steroids, without being prescribed by a doctor, was illegal. At the time of use, I was unaware Federal Law placed Anabolic Steroids in Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act as of February 27, 1991. I acted immature, without proper research and knowledge and I have learned of the risks and legal consequences associated with steroid use.

The steroid use was 6 years ago and used between 10-12 times while i was a minor(not sure if it matters). Disregarding all other hiring standards, is this enough time and/or uses of the drug to not be considered auto DQ'd? I tried contacting the HR departments of a few of the agencies and no one will give any specific details.

Also, is there anything in particular I should shed light on and maybe go a little more into detail about? I want to be completely honest and give them the opportunity to pass me into the next steps of the hiring process.

Any advice/comments are welcome and I am thankful for anyone that has read this entirely. I really appreciate all of the support the members here give to fellow members. In addition, thank you to all of the active and retired peace officers serving their communities.

Forum Member

Just tell them everything you just told us. You will probably have to be very specific, but the worst thing you can do is lie about it.

Forum Member
    What I would leave out in my conversation with a recruiter back ground investigator:

1-The drug did not help with any exposure to receive consideration from scouts/recruiters, and instead, ended up being my biggest mistake and regret in my life (Would it have not been a regret if you were noticed? that will be a thought from someone)

2- I was not aware taking steroids, without being prescribed by a doctor, was illegal. At the time of use, I was unaware Federal Law placed Anabolic Steroids in Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act as of February 27, 1991. (Really? Come on?)

Do not act like you didn't know or because you wanted to be scouted and that didn't happen. My question to you would be then: So you made it to a D1 school your going to continue using Steroids to maintain your scholarship and playing time?

Own up when asking and don't make excuses. Departments are looking for Honest Sinners

In this job market you may have some challenges because many are applying without that baggage. You may need more time away from it. I wish you luck.
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Look at this freakin guy
    Look at Lompoc PD. They hired an applicant who admitted to using steroids while fighting in Iraq. He was honest about his use , and got on. His use was only a year and a half old. You can also go to Broward County So in Florida. I think being on the juice is required down there lol. Those boys are big.
    Nothing worth having comes easy...earn it

Forum Member

It's not an automatic DQ at San Diego PD. Your total application will be considered. What have you done in the last 6 years since that time? If your application is otherwise strong, you can overcome it. I can tell you I have hired someone who used steroids in high school, but then went on to get a 4 year criminal justice degree while working full time. It had only been 5 years when he was hired.

Just be honest about it and if you have an otherwise good application, you will probably still be looked at. Some agencies may auto DQ you for it though. Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jcioccke View Post
    What I would leave out in my conversation with a recruiter back ground investigator:

1-The drug did not help with any exposure to receive consideration from scouts/recruiters, and instead, ended up being my biggest mistake and regret in my life (Would it have not been a regret if you were noticed? that will be a thought from someone)

2- I was not aware taking steroids, without being prescribed by a doctor, was illegal. At the time of use, I was unaware Federal Law placed Anabolic Steroids in Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act as of February 27, 1991. (Really? Come on?)

Do not act like you didn't know or because you wanted to be scouted and that didn't happen. My question to you would be then: So you made it to a D1 school your going to continue using Steroids to maintain your scholarship and playing time?

Own up when asking and don't make excuses. Departments are looking for Honest Sinners

In this job market you may have some challenges because many are applying without that baggage. You may need more time away from it. I wish you luck.
    This is excellent advice. The worst thing you can do is spend time explaining why you did it. Own up to it and let the department make the decision. Your situation is most likely not an automatic DQ, if you can show that you've had positive development in the last five years you and you have other good qualities you are hirable.

Forum Member

I dont think Steroids is looked at any different that the common drugs applicants admit to using. But as the posters have been saying DONT LIE and explain how it was a mistake. Believe most people have some kinda dirt in their past. Good luck!

Forum Member

Thank you for all of the feedback/input. I really appreciate all of it.

My thought in explaining my reasons was to give the background investigator an idea of what was going through my childish and immature 17 year old mind at the time. I want to express to them that I know what I did, it was wrong and dangerous, irresponsible and I have learned from that mistake and aware of the consequences of such decision. I guess the hardest part about telling someone your experience and what you've learned, is making it not so much of a "story" of excuses. I knew it was illegal, yes, just didnt know the severity.

Forum Member

I don't know how steroids are looked at in other departments. But I was a volunteer during the hiring phase at a sheriffs department in northern CA for several years and I know their policy was that if you injected any drug it made you I eligible for life. And I know of several cases that were DQed because of illegal steroid use. Just a heads up.

DCH
    Forum Member
    i know an applicant who was DQ'd for lying about their steroids use to Riverside Co. Sheriff's. sorry.

Forum Member
    I think you will be fine if you explain yourself. What you told us should be enough, except leave out the details that JCIOCCKE mentioned. They may ask for more details but I don't see this as being an automatic DQ. A good BI would see this as a learning experience, a good one. Everyone has them. Just tell them what you've told us. If they DO disqualify you for this, then they really don't deserve you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCH View Post
    i know an applicant who was DQ'd for lying about their steroids use to Riverside Co. Sheriff's. sorry.
    Yikes. Well hopefully I have +1 up on him by disclosing it up front.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mv1_103s View Post
    If they DO disqualify you for this, then they really don't deserve you.
    Really? If they have a policy that prevents them from hiring someone that knowingly chose to inject illegal drugs a dozen times the agency is somehow the "bad guy." I don't think so.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thays View Post
    I knew it was illegal, yes, just didnt know the severity.
    Quote Originally Posted by thays View Post
    At the time, I was unfamiliar with the dangers associated with steroids. In addition, I was not aware taking steroids, without being prescribed by a doctor, was illegal.
    Which is it?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hbliam View Post
    Really? If they have a policy that prevents them from hiring someone that knowingly chose to inject illegal drugs a dozen times the agency is somehow the "bad guy." I don't think so.
    HA....I love those lines where people blame the agency for having strict standards. As if we are obligated to give people "chances". Its right up there with "I know what I did was wrong, but in the end it has made me a better person."

Forum Member

I think mv1_103s was just trying to be optimistic and encouraging? I dont know. Who knows, he doesnt know if I am well qualified or not. I think he was just trying to be nice.

Forum Member

Which is it?
    I didnt know it needed to be prescribed by a doctor. I also didnt know it was schedule III since 1991! I was 3 years old then lol

"I knew it was illegal, just not the severity." Maybe "illegal" is the wrong word.. I knew it was wrong, as an athlete, to take PEDs and compete. In addition, we all know its wrong and against the rules for athletes to take steroids.. but legally I guess is another question.. depending on the situation. See Mark Mcguire and a bunch of others who have admitted using PEDs and have not faced charges. (Not illegal because of doctor-which I know now(with all the media exposure) and didnt know when I took the drug)

Hope I explained it well enough. If not, then the hole just got deeper.

Forum Member
    woah woah woah, dude, you need to calm your **** down, pull that attitude out of your *** and leave it at home. This guy came to us with a question, instead of criticizing him OR me, how about we give him some advice and encouragement. Same goes to you FlyingPig, you're a class act. You have something to say about me, PM me.

GOOD JOB.

Forum Member

I noticed you've been a member on these forums for about four months. So it hasn't been long enough to understand you will get responses to your posts on here, some good and some bad. You will need to have a thick skin on here and get used to some negative responses sometimes....no need to respond in the way you did...just some friendly advice.

Forum Member

woah woah woah, dude, you need to calm your **** down, pull that attitude out of your *** and leave it at home. This guy came to us with a question, instead of criticizing him OR me, how about we give him some advice and encouragement. Same goes to you FlyingPig, you're a class act. You have something to say about me, PM me.

GOOD JOB.
    I noticed you've been a member on these forums for about four months. So it hasn't been long enough to understand you will get responses to your posts on here, some good and some bad. You will need to have a thick skin on here and get used to some negative responses sometimes....no need to respond in the way you did...just some friendly advice.

Forum Member

GOOD JOB.
    He was just making an observation... he wasn't really attacking you or him, you seem like the one who is making things personal, just my take anyways.

(--GOD--)
    I think you will be fine if you explain yourself. What you told us should be enough, except leave out the details that JCIOCCKE mentioned. They may ask for more details but I don't see this as being an automatic DQ. A good BI would see this as a learning experience, a good one. Everyone has them. Just tell them what you've told us. If they DO disqualify you for this, then they really don't deserve you.So doing an illegal drug for six weeks straight is not a good reason to DQ someone???

GOOD JOB.

He came to us, as in law enforcement officers not "applicants in the process" with his questions. You just attacked two officers that gave their answers to the question at hand, which were the right answer to boot! Thirty-eight posts and your off to a super duper special fun time start!!!

To the OP, Ignorance of the law is not a valid defense, in court or life. You didn't do it only once you did it for quite some time which shows a serious lack of judgement and habitual use of a schedule III controlled substance (ie. vicodin, suboxone, ketamine etc. are all schedule III controlled substances). There is going to be thousands of pristine candidates ahead of you even some with prior LEO work to boot. Time to start thinking about what other baskets you want to put your eggs in.
    Ignore List : Bearcat357, Blackavar

Forum Member

GOOD JOB.
    1) Do I need to respond to you or have the others sufficiently explained things to you?
    2) Why is flying pig required to pm you if he has something to say? Your insult was public. Or was that requirement for both of us?
    Last edited by hbliam; 12-09-2011 at 12:03 AM.

Forum Member

Well this thread went to **** real fast

I really appreciate all of the feedback from everyone and all of the PMs people have sent my way. Keep the advice coming! If anyone has specific info regarding steroid use for the counties/cities in the south, I would appreciate more information!

Operator

GOOD JOB.
    Dude....you're not even a LEO yet..... Guess what...? The guys you are popping off to are.......

If you don't like folks being brutally honest with you and others trying to get on the job.....then you need to find a new line of work......

Page 1 of 2 12 Last