Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Do you guys normally interact with children during parades, festivals, fairs, etc.?

The reason I'm asking is because I went to a Christmas parade this past weekend and my son, who, like most young boys his age(2),loves the police. We've must have passed a dozen or so LEO's and not one of them replied when my son said "hello". I can understand if they didn't hear him, but this was all before the parade even started and one LEO even told us to "keep moving" after my son told him "hi". The only people in uniform who actually had anything to do with my son, was a few Army guys and a Firefighter, who came down from his firetruck and gave my son his santa hat. Kudos to you, Mr. Firefighter.

Is it because they're on duty, or do certain PD's frown upon interacting with the crowd, due to not being able to do your job correctly?

Forum Member

Don't know what to tell you. I always acknowledge children.

Hustler
    Who knows..we were not there, you were, too many varibles...call the agency if it botheres you that much or forget about it.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Police Officer
    Quote Originally Posted by joshkt79 View Post
    The reason I'm asking is because I went to a Christmas parade this past weekend and my son, who, like most young boys his age(2),loves the police. We've must have passed a dozen or so LEO's and not one of them replied when my son said "hello". I can understand if they didn't hear him, but this was all before the parade even started and one LEO even told us to "keep moving" after my son told him "hi". The only people in uniform who actually had anything to do with my son, was a few Army guys and a Firefighter, who came down from his firetruck and gave my son his santa hat. Kudos to you, Mr. Firefighter.

Is it because they're on duty, or do certain PD's frown upon interacting with the crowd, due to not being able to do your job correctly?
    They probably didn't hear you. Don't get bent out of shape about it. Go to your nearest PD and introduce your son to them. Believe it or not while in uniform we are working. We have a radio blasting in our ear, suspects... I mean people to watch and a job to do. All of us use every chance we can get to talk to kids.

I've unintentionally ignored a kid waving to me before. I didn't know until my partner was like "eh dude that kid was waving to you". I felt bad about it, and still do actually. It happens.

Call your local PD up and ask them if they could spare a few minutes and show your kids around a patrol car. I'm sure they could make the time. It's an isolated incident, don't blow it out of proportion.
    Certified troll.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    They probably didn't hear you. Don't get bent out of shape about it. Go to your nearest PD and introduce your son to them. Believe it or not while in uniform we are working. We have a radio blasting in our ear, suspects... I mean people to watch and a job to do. All of us use every chance we can get to talk to kids.

I've unintentionally ignored a kid waving to me before. I didn't know until my partner was like "eh dude that kid was waving to you". I felt bad about it, and still do actually. It happens.

Call your local PD up and ask them if they could spare a few minutes and show your kids around a patrol car. I'm sure they could make the time. It's an isolated incident, don't blow it out of proportion.
    I wasn't blowing it out of proportion and I know that while in uniform, you're working, but my two year old son doesn't understand it. Some may not have heard him, but I know for a fact, most did. Especially one that was walking near us, iPhone in hand and looked directly at us when my son told him hi and he continued walking. We were at the beginning of where the parade started so there werent many people near us.

It's not something that I'm bent our of shape about, or that I'm going to the station and file a complaint, it's not that serious. The reason I asked is out of curiousity. My son and I went to a local fair a few months back and every cop was giving him hi-5's, candy, and went out of their way to talk to us.

I just figure if you have the time to doodle with your iphone, you have the time to atleast wave to a kid saying hi to you.

I wasn't blowing it out of proportion and I know that while in uniform, you're working, but my two year old son doesn't understand it. Some may not have heard him, but I know for a fact, most did. Especially one that was walking near us, iPhone in hand and looked directly at us when my son told him hi and he continued walking. We were at the beginning of where the parade started so there werent many people near us.

It's not something that I'm bent our of shape about, or that I'm going to the station and file a complaint, it's not that serious. The reason I asked is out of curiousity. My son and I went to a local fair a few months back and every cop was giving him hi-5's, candy, and went out of their way to talk to us.

I just figure if you have the time to doodle with your iphone, you have the time to atleast wave to a kid saying hi to you.
    You asked a question and it was answered. Now you want to argue. How the hek do a bunch of people on an internet forum from all over the country know what some cops in your town were thinking?
    Last edited by jeffIL; 12-05-2011 at 04:42 PM.
    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeffIL View Post
    You asked a question and it was answered. Now you want to argue. How the hek do a bunch of people on an internet forum from all over the country know what some cops in your town were thinking?
    No one is arguing.

Forum Member

Did you see what he was doing on the phone? Many times when on foot I'll have others officers or dispatchers text me dispatch information, BOLO's and even photos of people we are looking for. Carefull with your tone in my house. You asked a question out of "curiosity" and when it was answered you began to go downt he "think of the children" route. It was answered, and now you accuse an officer of "doodling" with his iphone. That's an accusation. You're in our house, you don't like our answers, please find the door.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by careerchange#2 View Post
    Did you see what he was doing on the phone? Many times when on foot I'll have others officers or dispatchers text me dispatch information, BOLO's and even photos of people we are looking for. Carefull with your tone in my house. You asked a question out of "curiosity" and when it was answered you began to go downt he "think of the children" route. It was answered, and now you accuse an officer of "doodling" with his iphone. That's an accusation. You're in our house, you don't like our answers, please find the door.
    Please excuse my tone. I did ask a question, and only two people answered my question. I was trying to get a feel of different members opinions on the subject. Some may interact, some may not, and some may wait until a break. That's all I was trying to do.

As for the cop on his iphone, I don't know what he was doing. It looked like he was texting, but I can't say for sure, so I apologize for the "doodling" comment.

Deputy Sheriff
    Particularly because I'm on a motorcycle kids will approach, and as long as it means I'm not stalling or falling, I'll wave. If stationary I'll talk to them, fuss about the bike, maybe hit the lights for them. Those super LEDs about knock 'em on their arses.
    Last edited by DeputyDuc; 12-05-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDuc View Post
    Particularly because I'm on a motorcycle kids will approach, and as long as it means I'm not stalling or falling, I'll wave. If stationary I'll hit the lights for them. Those super LEDs about knock 'em on their arses.
    Thank you,DeputyDoc

Forum Member

I guess the next time I ask a question on here, I'll leave out details and just get right down to what I want to ask, so that way it doesn't look like I'm "cop bashing".

Why so serious?

Josh,

Your complaint is about officers not acknowledging your young son's greetings - a reasonable gripe from a parent - and essentially saying the officers did so intentionally and were a-holes. Then you make the remark above, essentially saying all cops are somehow responsible for the reaction of one individual. Granted, as a father myself, if my kid said hey to an officer and they intentionally ignored him I'd think he was an a-hole too (and let's face reality here, law enforcement employs human beings, and some humans - even some cops - are a-holes). But don't lower yourself to the same level of any other jerk by suggesting anyone was responsible for that officer's reaction other than that officer, doing so makes your reaction no better than that of the officer your criticizing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kimble View Post
    Josh,

Your complaint is about officers not acknowledging your young son's greetings - a reasonable gripe from a parent - and essentially saying the officers did so intentionally and were a-holes. Then you make the remark above, essentially saying all cops are somehow responsible for the reaction of one individual. Granted, as a father myself, if my kid said hey to an officer and they intentionally ignored him I'd think he was an a-hole too (and let's face reality here, law enforcement employs human beings, and some humans - even some cops - are a-holes). But don't lower yourself to the same level of any other jerk by suggesting anyone was responsible for that officer's reaction other than that officer, doing so makes your reaction no better than that of the officer your criticizing.
    I should have just asked the question in my thread title, and left out everything else. I guess I was just a bit ticked off at what happened. I am no way saying that all cops are the same. I have been helped out a ton of times by the police. There are bad apples in every job and if the thread took that direction implying that all cops are the same, then I apologize. I'll be more careful with my words when I post again.

Forum Member

OK, Josh, looks like you got your fragile feelings hurt. That's too bad, but it's on you Pal. Several colleagues have offered several valid reasons why your son's greetings weren't acknowledged. I won't review them, that's your job.
    So now, instead of getting your panties in a wad, why not take a little initiative, use a little imagination, and explain to your son that the police might have been just a little too preoccupied to greet your son as they might have wanted to, or as you would have wanted them to. Why not take the suggestion of visiting your local PD or Sheriff's Dept, and taking your young man with you. Grow up a little. You might both enjoy the experience.

Senior Veteran

I should have just asked the question in my thread title, and left out everything else. I guess I was just a bit ticked off at what happened. I am no way saying that all cops are the same. I have been helped out a ton of times by the police. There are bad apples in every job and if the thread took that direction implying that all cops are the same, then I apologize. I'll be more careful with my words when I post again.
    I saw nothing wrong with what you posted, and any cop that isn't distracted with something else, and intentionally ignores a young kid saying hi or waving is on a massive ego trip.
    Retired

Hustler
    Not sure how a 2 yr old can really tell a cop from a FF, but if so, good...other then that, you do have the tone of being ,mad and have had the tone in another thread before when you went up to a LEO when they were eating...just be careful and choose your battles wisely.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

It's Complicated
    Please excuse my tone. I did ask a question, and only two people answered my question. I was trying to get a feel of different members opinions on the subject. Some may interact, some may not, and some may wait until a break. That's all I was trying to do.

As for the cop on his iphone, I don't know what he was doing. It looked like he was texting, but I can't say for sure, so I apologize for the "doodling" comment.
    I guess the next time I ask a question on here, I'll leave out details and just get right down to what I want to ask, so that way it doesn't look like I'm "cop bashing".
    The above response are indicative of someone who wants to argue the point after being given a "to the point" answer.

THEN deciding to get all hurt when others once again remind them that their question was answered----but obviously not to their satisfaction.

What you need to do is take the answers you get and learn that what you see or believe isn't necessary the complete story

On of the problems I see on this thread is that you THINK you know what was going through the officers minds during your encounter because you have had other experiences in the past and equate THAT incident to this one.

Think this one ------------------I have absolutely NO idea what was going on at that parade BUT-----

The officer was texted or called on the radio to be on the look out for something.......and began searching through the crowd (with his eyes) as they walked along. He looked at you and your child...........maybe he was alerted to your presence by your child calling out to him...........ONCE AGAIN WHO KNOWS

Seeing neither you or your child meets the description he was looking for-----he looks right through you and your child while continuing to look for the subject.................and maybe being texted again by dispatch or another officer. THIS while being called on the radio (or listening to another conversation through an earpiece)

Now I will answer your original question.

The vast majority of the law enforcement officers I know are great with dealing with children when in public and not preoccupied with our duties.

I don't' know how many times I have been in uniform in a public place when a parent points out to me or my colleagues and stated " See that officer---you had better be good or he will arrest you" --------------------THAT burns my arse to the point I normally respond----------to the child-----that I only arrest criminals....not naughty kids..........

In my desk at the court house I have a drawer filled with Jr Deputy stickers, hard candy, & #2 pencils with the Sheriff's Office Logo on them that I hand out to kids who accompany their parents to court proceedings................

Our department has a storage room full of stuffed animals---------that are distributed by the deputies to children at calls where the child might have a trauma event.........

Kids------------------most of us have them and like to be around them-----------------their parents---Well that's another matter
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member
    Josh, "back in the day", I loved interacting with adults, kids and any of the various sexes out there; if I was all dressed up, post-card like and marching, that was different - maintain the stiff upper lip and all that, or certainly trying to do left-arm-with-right-foot-followed-by-the-opposite-repeat without falling over. When I was acting like a wall between Queen Elizabeth II and the Prince while they rushed by either in the landau in the rain or flew up the highway in the limo, again, I had to make sure I faced the crowd and paid attention in case some dumb-*** thought it was her / his moment of glory.

Maybe the officers had their batons up their butts, maybe they had to count heads, maybe they had to look for Waldo-with-the-gun, maybe they were responding to live intell, maybe they hate kids and everyone that was wearing clothing and wasn't "hot" - who knows?

If you have had great interactions with the Police in the past, just explain this to your son, much like you will have to explain the rest of life to him as it comes along. Hopefully, your boy has good contacts in his future as you have had. Life and humans just don't mix sometimes!
    Just callin' 'em as I sees 'em! PM full - e-mail me.

Salty Dog

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    I saw nothing wrong with what you posted, and any cop that isn't distracted with something else, and intentionally ignores a young kid saying hi or waving is on a massive ego trip.
    Yep. Some cops are just dicks.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by ateamer View Post
    Yep and some dicks are just cops.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

I interact with kids while at work all the time. Sometimes I'll give them stickers or cheap flashlights, but at the very minimum I'll give them a high five or make them feel really important. That is unless I'm very busy. I once arrived on a scene and after I handled the call I threw a football back and forth with a 9 year old for about 15 minutes. Good stress reliever.

Senior Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ateamer View Post
    ateamer Buddy,

To this day, I still don't understand why some cops have to be jerks.
    Last edited by retired; 12-06-2011 at 12:46 PM.
    Retired

Band-aid jockey
    Can you think of a reason why someone who interacts with people that hate them all day would snuff someone who adores them? That many officers not saying "hi," tells me that something may have been keeping their attention elsewhere.

Live Free or Die Trying..
    I worked a local parade a few months ago, and as much as I enjoy interacting with people that don't outright hate me, I was sick of saying "hello" 15 minutes into it. Because I was a mobile unit (road block), the entire parade walked past me about five times, and I'm pretty sure every person said hi and tried to "ask the police officer questions" at every stop. By my third stop, I replaced words with a smile & nod, then quit getting out of the vehicle altogether because I was tired of dodging thrown candy.
    LOST:
    Individual Responsibility
    If found, please return to society.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last