Forum Member

Underage Drinking Party

Hello everyone, Im kind of new here. I've always wanted to be an officer and I had just been browsing through other peoples postings, and I had a question of my own. Last night a few friends of mine went to a party where there was alcohol being served. It was a high school party so they were all under 18. I did not attend because I want to be a police officer in the future and I don't want to have any blemishes on my record as it's already hard enough to get into Law enforcement. Now at this party, apparently the police were called and the kids starting running. Anybody that ran out of the front door was caught, sat on the curb, and cited. Now I was wondering, how would a person who has not been drinking and just walks out of the party be handled? I understand that it has a lot to do with discretion but in general. I know a few officers and I have nothing but respect for them and I would never run from the police. A few years ago, an officer from the DUI unit came in and spoke to our class about the matter, and he stated that he would still be able to cite you for possession because you could have had access to alcohol during the party. However i have received conflicting thoughts from other officers I know. I personally would not attend a party like this even though I wouldn't be drinking but it is just out of curiosity. Thank you for any answers to my question, and I really admire what you guys do everyday.

And if it helps, I am from Maryland

It's Complicated
    You weren't there----------that is good.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Band-aid jockey

Thumbs up

^^^Ditto^^^

To answer your question, your instructor was correct we can cite for "constructive possession." However, it is a discretion issue and most of the time officers will not cite the persons smart enough not to drink underage. Although, I would not recommend that you run the risk of meeting that officer that will cite EVERYONE. Simple solution, keep doing what you're doing and stay away from those parties.

Forum Member

The best decision you made relative to that party, was the that you didn't go. Going to a party where you know underage drinking is taking place is a recipe for problems even if you don't, or didn't drink. You'd be well advised to remain away from such gatherings even if you didn't desire at some point to enter law enforcement. One of the most important things you'll have to do over the next few years, is choose your friends wisely. One screw up could possibly put a serious crimp in your plans and ambitions. The "friends" could also care less. Not saying to not have a good time. It's entirely possible to do that w/o the help of alcohol.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipCal View Post
    The best decision you made relative to that party, was the that you didn't go. Going to a party where you know underage drinking is taking place is a recipe for problems even if you don't, or didn't drink. You'd be well advised to remain away from such gatherings even if you didn't desire at some point to enter law enforcement. One of the most important things you'll have to do over the next few years, is choose your friends wisely. One screw up could possibly put a serious crimp in your plans and ambitions. The "friends" could also care less. Not saying to not have a good time. It's entirely possible to do that w/o the help of alcohol.
    Please read, re-read and read again. Have fun in your teens but always give thought to what you're doing and what can happen. You strike me as fairly mature for your age, that's a good thing, just be aware and be prepared to stand up to peer pressure--that's a sure sign of maturity.
    Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipCal View Post
    That is exactly what I plan on doing. Having fun but within the bounds of the law. I'm not going to let short term fun ruin long term goals. Thank you for your reply

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Please read, re-read and read again. Have fun in your teens but always give thought to what you're doing and what can happen. You strike me as fairly mature for your age, that's a good thing, just be aware and be prepared to stand up to peer pressure--that's a sure sign of maturity.
    Thank you and I'm glad you think so. I won't let friends stand in the way of me accomplishing my goals.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikeymedic View Post
    ^^^Ditto^^^

To answer your question, your instructor was correct we can cite for "constructive possession." However, it is a discretion issue and most of the time officers will not cite the persons smart enough not to drink underage. Although, I would not recommend that you run the risk of meeting that officer that will cite EVERYONE. Simple solution, keep doing what you're doing and stay away from those parties.
    Thank you for answering my question as to what one can be charged with even if they haven't been drinking. I will continue to stay away from these parties.

Forum Member
    I'm sure 99% of police officers had been at a party with alcohol/ and consumed in their high school days. I was sent home without a ticket/arrest when I was 17 and was thankful and learned from it. These days lawyers run the country and everyone is liable for everything. You have more chances of being cited now days just because of liability. No one is perfect and a single encounter, even citation won't prevent you from ever being a cop. Just don't put yourself in the position of getting cited, then applying at a department 6 months later. It can be excusable if it happened a "few" years ago as long as there was no pattern of alcohol abuse (2nd offenses). The biggest thing that can stop you is a DUI. Most departments won't consider an applicant with a prior DUI. For that matter, I knew a really good cop that lost his career over a DUI.
    Work harder! Millions on welfare depend on you...

Forum Member

Good thing you were not there. But like my partner 355339 said it best. I have even been at an underage party that was "crashed" by the police. Like you, I had not been drinking. The best thing I did to keep me from getting a ticket or worse? I didnt run and I was honest. It goes a long way. The officers appreciated my honesty and after cleaning up some beer cans I was free to leave. Moral (sp?) of the story? Dont go. Period. But it seems like your a smart kid who is already making good decisions. Keep it up.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=355339;2943783]I'm sure 99% of police officers had been at a party with alcohol/ and consumed in their high school days.
    +1 Finally some realism.

One man Wolfpack
    Quote Originally Posted by tincitycopper View Post
    Good thing you were not there. But like my partner 355339 said it best. I have even been at an underage party that was "crashed" by the police. Like you, I had not been drinking. The best thing I did to keep me from getting a ticket or worse? I didnt run and I was honest. It goes a long way. The officers appreciated my honesty and after cleaning up some beer cans I was free to leave. Moral (sp?) of the story? Dont go. Period. But it seems like your a smart kid who is already making good decisions. Keep it up.
    Good on you.

I always ran.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by M-11 View Post
    Good on you.

I always ran.

M-11
    lol

Forum Member

What ever happen to the old days of cops dragging kids to the front door of their parents house and yelling your deal with him!!!!. Oh ya parents became morons that stopped taking care of their children.

Forgot to mention they all so used to steal the beer never mind pouring it out
    !!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chuck9899 View Post
    What ever happen to the old days of cops dragging kids to the front door of their parents house and yelling your deal with him!!!!. Oh ya parents became morons that stopped taking care of their children.

Forgot to mention they all so used to steal the beer never mind pouring it out
    !!!!!
    I've done similar things when the kids were scared of their parents.
    We ask a couple of kids busted with pot once what their parents would think of the jail calling them.... they were spooked at the thought...... so we told them we were calling their parents and releasing them rather than jailing them..... those kids freaked out, and begged to be sent to jail..... I really think they feared their parents.

Edit to add: they talked to use a lot until we called, then they shut-up all most totally until mom and dad got there.
    Last edited by CACBAND; 01-08-2012 at 08:28 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
    (")_(")
    Copy and paste Bunny into your
    signature to help him gain world domination

G-14 Classified
    Like others have said, stay away from these parties, even in college. As to what you can be cited on, that varies from state to state and even department to department.
    I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

According to Bob Costas, Sandusky's penis raped those boys, not Sandusky.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 355339 View Post
    These days lawyers run the country and everyone is liable for everything. You have more chances of being cited now days just because of liability.
    What he said.

When I was younger and the police busted up a party, they'd tell everyone to go home. Obviously they wouldn't allow anyone who was obviously drunk to get behind the wheel of a car, but rarely was anyone arrested, cited, or even held for their parents. Nowdays if something like that was done and some carload of kids got into a wreck there would be absolute hell to pay. The department would get sued and officers could end up losing their jobs. Now everyone is identified, given a PBT, and anyone who is underage and over the zero tolerance limit is going to be held for parents and probably cited as well.

HopefulFutureOfficer,
    While getting caught at a party with underage drinking isn't going to effect your chances of being hired as a LEO, it's good that you have a desire to follow the law and can have fun without alcohol. Just because something won't effect your future employment prospects doesn't mean that there aren't other very important reasons to avoid alcohol as a teen.
    Last edited by Delta_V; 01-08-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Mitch...inappropriate!

As others have said, it depends on the officer or their department. At my current department, everyone at an underage party, drinking or not, gets cited based on constructive possession. The word gets out to not even attend those parties because you'll be in trouble if it gets busted. At my previous department, everyone got breathalyzed and only those who drank got cited. It just depends.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Corporal
    Where exactly did this happen? At least what county? Feel free to PM me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Delta_V View Post
    While getting caught at a party with underage drinking isn't going to effect your chances of being hired as a LEO...
    While this may be true in Fl, don't bet on it in Michigan. I have known several young men that thought a MIP or being at the party, but not cited, wouldn't hurt their chances. Well, they are still waiting for their chance.

I know one person who was going through the process for the local "premiere" dept in our area. He scored very high, did a bang up job on the interview, and passed the physical with flying colors. When an officer noted that the subject was at an MIP party, but not drinking, he was knocked out of the process. Why? Because it didn't project the image the dept head wanted AND he had three other candidates who cared enough not to be in that position.
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Corporal
    When a underage party gets busted up in the area in question, they round up the whole group, PBT them, and anyone with alcohol in their system gets cited, parents called, etc. If you havent been drinking, your best bet is to cooperate and when you blow .00 your outta there w/o a citation. Every time someone runs, in the 11 + years of my experience, has alcohol on their breath. I cant rememeber a time where a runner who was caught blew a .00. All that being said, the .00 discretionary no citation rule does not apply to the sober person who cannot stop running his mouth.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by redbird07 View Post
    When a underage party gets busted up in the area in question, they round up the whole group, PBT them, and anyone with alcohol in their system gets cited, parents called, etc. If you havent been drinking, your best bet is to cooperate and when you blow .00 your outta there w/o a citation. Every time someone runs, in the 11 + years of my experience, has alcohol on their breath. I cant rememeber a time where a runner who was caught blew a .00. All that being said, the .00 discretionary no citation rule does not apply to the sober person who cannot stop running his mouth.
    I did not know that. We had an officer with the DUI unit come into our class and he told us that even if you blow a 0.0, he can still charge you with constructive possession. Is this policy, an unwritten rule, or just what a lot of officers would do? Thank you for your response