Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Request for help.

Forum Member

Request for help.

I dont post here often, and I am not asking for donations or anything like that. I have been battling cancer for eight months this time around, and I am now looking at have to have a bone marrow transplant. I am asking for members to register at www.marrow.org. I know that somewhere out there this is a match for me, and others like me. Stay safe out there.
    scarney.

Forum Member

I just registered.

Annoyed, amazed & amused!
    Been on the registry many years. Although my blood type is very common, all those sub-groupings vital to bone marrow are so oddly configured, chances are I won't ever be a match.
    "Many times, I have thoughts and feelings which can only be expressed through dance!" - Bender, Futurama

"Ranking right up there with 'No good deed goes unpunished' are:

'Sooner or later, we just might outlive our usefulness to others' and...

'Sometimes it's very possible to push the most loving and loyal person, beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t'"
    - Yours truly

Forum Member

I thank you. The support of this board and my department, proves that law enforcement is a family, not just another job.

Forum Member

I have been registered for a little over 2 years. I hope the search works quickly for you.

Forum Member
    I have been registered for many years, and came real close, once to being a donor. Sadly, the follow-up tests showed I was NOT a good match for the patient. Still in the registry, though.
    We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
    but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Professor of Stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Keppy View Post
    I have been registered for many years
    Me too.... I donate blood every quarter too....Keep us informed if you wish....

God bless,
    Sully
    From da' land O' nervous sheep.
    Quote Originally Posted by crass cop View Post
    who cares....was she hot??
    Quote Originally Posted by mookster View Post
    Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. And I agree one hundred percent with ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by CityCopDC View Post
    I swear to god you are not human. I have seen enough episodes of X-Files to know a rogue VI (Virtual Inteligence) when I see one.
    Currently Being Ignored by

1) NYC Queeny.
    2) Officer retired.

Forum Member
    Some might not be aware how easy it is to register. When I registered, it was through the Red Cross, when I was making a donation. They took an extra vial of blood, and that was all they needed, as I recall. When I went back for further testing, that also was a simple blood draw.

scarney, I should have said earlier, good luck to you, and I hope you find the healing you are seeking.

Forum Member

My Story, and why the Request for Help

My story is very typical of most Cancer Survivors. I was initially diagnosed with stage 3B Hodgkin’s Lymphoma 15 years ago. I went through Chemo and Radiation Therapy, and went in remission.

This past March, my lymph nodes swelled up, and hoped it was just a nasty cold. After a biopsy of a lymph node, and a bone marrow biopsy, I was diagnosed with stage 4 Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. I was told by my Oncologist, that sometimes when the cancer returns, it metastasis as a similar cancer. It doesn’t always return as the same cancer. The big difference this time, they found it in the bone marrow. When I started the Chemo, they told me I had a 50/50 chance.

Anyhow, I’ve gone through eight months of Chemo, and the Cancer receeded some. But now all we are doing is keeping it in check. So the next step is a bone marrow transplant.

Next month, I will be going down to a leading cancer clinic, where I will have an Autologous transplant (using my own bone marrow). This will pretty well kill off most of the cancer, and will buy me some time for them to find a bone marrow donor. Once a donor is found, an Allogeneic transplant will be done. Once I make it through the bone marrow process, I am told that I should have at least twelve years. It sure beats the old joke about the patient that goes into the doc and asks how much time I got, and the Doc replies “10.” The patient says, “10?” The Doc then says, “10, 9, 8, 7…..”

I was hoping to beat this cancer and be back in a patrol car in time for New Year’s Eve, but I have now set my sights on next year New Year’s Eve. A person has to have Goals! I miss being in a patrol car, when I hear a siren go by my house, it’s like hearing the geese fly overhead, calling my name. The best Christmas Gift, I could receive, is being told that there is a donor out there for me, and they will skip the Autologous transplant, and we will go straight for the Allogeneic transplant. (Of course, the actual Best Christmas Gift, would be finding out that I’m cured and don’t need a transplant!)

Anyone who is interested in donating can go to the National Bone Marrow Registry, www.marrow.org . An interested donor completes an on-line questionnaire. If the donor meets the guidelines, a collection kit is sent. The donor collects a swab of the cheek cells and returns the kit. No needles! If you do match someone, the Registry will contact you, and yes, needles are then involved.

The support that I have been receiving at work and at home has been overwhelming. And I know that the more donors that are registered, the better chance there is for all of us cancer patients.

Sorry about being so long winded.

Stay safe out there.
    scarney

Forum Member
    Gee, now it just takes a swab of the mouth? Couldn't be simpler too enroll than that, from the donor's end.

Thanks for sharing your story, scarney-- and good luck.

Incidentally, if you haven't seen it yet, there are a couple of books on healing that you might find interesting: "Getting Well Again" by by O. Carl Simonton M.D., James Creighton Ph.D., Stephanie Matthews Simonton and Stephanie Matthews (Apr 1, 1992)
    http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Well-A...3118893&sr=1-1

and

"Love, Medicine, and Miracles" by Bernie Seigel

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...c+and+Miracles

Forum Member

I will have to check thoose books out. After going through this the first time, I have learned alot about the mental attitude.

As I said, I have completed 8 months of chemo, and I was even able to gain a few pounds. I have had treatment every three weeks, but have only missed two days of work due to Chemo. I am a Reserve Officer, and I am not doing patrols these days (I sure miss it), but I have been doing backgrounds, trying to help. I have missed doing some special events, and a training meeting or two. As far as my full time job, I have only missed two days of work. I have a tremendous amount of support from the department, from my job, and my real pillar in life, my wife. Additionall, I have a very positive attitude that I am going to beat this beast.

Plus, this morning I was able to actually brush my hair, first time since late April. I know that my hair will fall out again next month, all I can say is a barber sure would go hunger if he had to rely upon me for his haircuts!

If anyone needs encouragement, please have them contact me, I would be happy to cheer them on.

Forum Member
    You will love those books, then, because they are indeed about attitude, and how it can position us to receive healing. You didn't choose to become ill, but you DO get to choose how you respond to your illness-- and it sounds like you are making your story one of courage, hope, and victory.

Thank you for your offer to encourage folks. You might take a look at this thread, in which one of our members shares his struggle with a very tough situation after being assaulted on duty:

http://forums.officer.com/showthread...s-from-tragedy

Forum Member

Due to recent medical issues, I am disqualified to be a donor. I am making arrangements for a financial contribution instead.
    Stay safe Brother, and good luck.

Forum Member

Chaplain Keppy - I posted on Pontiac's thread, offering my assistance as well.

LAChief - Thank you and other bone marrow patients thank you.

Forum Member
    Thanks, scarney-- life works better when we all watch out for one another, and give each other the benefit of our support.

Forum Member
    Good for you, Kennedyford!

Forum Member

Just an update.
    I have been under going clinical trials for a month now. Yes there have been good days and bad. I go in tomorrow to start the Apheresis (harvest my own stem cells for transplant) tomorrow. Should have my first transplant in March. They have told me that I match three donors! If everything goes as planned, I should have the second transplant in June, then I will be released in late September. I know it a bumpy twisty road ahead, but I know there is an end.

Stay strong and stay safe out there.

For those of you registered for the bone marrow donor program, THANK YOU.

scarney, 10-10 for now!

Forum Member

I have to admit that I didn't know that you could donate marrow, and that it was so vital! Thank you for the information, and good luck to you. I will do whatever I can to help.

Professional Expert

Kit on the way. God bless you and your family.

Forum Member

Update-
    I had my bone marrow/stem cell transplant Apr 13. It's now two weeks later, and the new immune system is beggining to grow. So far, there have been no complications. Additionally, the Veterans Adninistration has rulled that this is a reoccurrence of my first cancer (which was service connected), and they have now rated me as 100% disabled. Which means my insurance is paying for the treatment, and I'm receiving compensation from the VA so I can pay my bills. I am truly blessed by the treatment, and good fortune I have been receiving, THANK YOU everyone for your support, I should be able to return home in July, return to work in October, and back in a patrol car by Christmas. Keep those registrations to the bone marrow organization going. Stay safe out there. SCarney out!

Forum Member

Glad to hear it ! Kit coming

Professor of Stuff
    Hey thats super scarney

keep us posted if ya' wanna'...
    From da' land O' nervous sheep.
    Quote Originally Posted by crass cop View Post
    who cares....was she hot??
    Quote Originally Posted by mookster View Post
    Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. And I agree one hundred percent with ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by CityCopDC View Post
    I swear to god you are not human. I have seen enough episodes of X-Files to know a rogue VI (Virtual Inteligence) when I see one.
    Currently Being Ignored by

1) NYC Queeny.
    2) Officer retired.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last