Forum Member

Is There Any U.S. Law Enforcement Agencies That Still Issue Revolvers?

I was thinking about service weapons this evening and recalling that my first issue weapon was a Smith & Wesson Model 10. I pretty basic revolver. Somewhat later I bought my own Smith & Wesson Model 66. Anyway, while it certainly seems that everybody is carrying semi automatic pistols, is there any U. S. law enforcement agencies that still issue revolvers?

Forum Member

We can carry them, few do. Some of the older guys still have their issued revolvers, and I suppose if you begged enough (and had a convincing reason), they might dig one out of the safe for you (we don't seem to dispose of anything ever).
    Last edited by CACBAND; 12-03-2011 at 10:47 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
    (")_(")
    Copy and paste Bunny into your
    signature to help him gain world domination

Haterade Distributor
    I'd use one as a paperweight on my nightstand. Less is not always more, especially when it comes to firepower.

Semper Fi

The seasonal officers that the Ocean City, MD Police Department hires for the summer are required to carry them. They're .357, not sure of the exact model, however. The full timers get semi-automatics. Obviously not cops, but most (all?) armored truck companies still issue revolvers as well (guards do have the option of carrying their own semi-automatic at least).

Forum Member

Garda gave my friend a Glock, guess it (as does everything) depends on the company.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
    (")_(")
    Copy and paste Bunny into your
    signature to help him gain world domination

Mega Infidel
    There are few agencies in NY (employing peace officers) still issues model 10s.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by CACBAND View Post
    Garda gave my friend a Glock, guess it (as does everything) depends on the company.
    Thanks for the correction, didn't know that. Too bad the other companies (I know Dunbar still issues S&W 629s) haven't modernized. Not that the .357 is a shabby round at all, but I personally would prefer a larger round capacity.

Forum Member
    I see regularly some armored car companies and a couple security companies who apparently issue revolvers to their guards. The condition of the weapons appears to be directly proportional to the condition of their uniforms. Sloppy dirty bunch they are. Can't beleive they give them guns let alone trust them with large amounts of money.
    "Life is not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving foward"- Rocky Balboa

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
    I see regularly some armored car companies and a couple security companies who apparently issue revolvers to their guards. The condition of the weapons appears to be directly proportional to the condition of their uniforms. Sloppy dirty bunch they are. Can't beleive they give them guns let alone trust them with large amounts of money.
    After I retired I worked for a armored car company for about 2 weeks.

The lower end companies never get rid of anything so what they have is revolvers...PLUS if they happen to be a company that has not welded the gun ports shut............you DON'T want to fire a semi out of a gun port and have the brass bouncing around the inside of the unit.

The small office I worked for had about 25 employees.............all of them were LEO rejects and/or people looking for a quick paycheck with no real responsibility. That office actually has one retired police officer working --------and I was the second with any type of formal security training.....the rest were slugs.

Interceptor----what is even worse is what they pay their employees................and trust them around HUGE amounts of money.

I couldn't handle the way the company dealt with their equipment and employees........

I have heard good things about Guarda.....................and an employer ----also their personnel usually look sharp and the equipment looks good.

To the OP-----------------a lot of Corrections agencies still issue revolvers...........
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turner View Post
    The seasonal officers that the Ocean City, MD Police Department hires for the summer are required to carry them.
    Why do they have to carry revolvers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceridwen View Post
    Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

It's Complicated
    Quote Originally Posted by Turner View Post
    The seasonal officers that the Ocean City, MD Police Department hires for the summer are required to carry them. They're .357, not sure of the exact model, however. The full timers get semi-automatics. Obviously not cops, but most (all?) armored truck companies still issue revolvers as well (guards do have the option of carrying their own semi-automatic at least).
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknowwhy View Post
    Sounds like a policy requirement.

Most "strange" policies have a root cause...................at some point someone screwed up and everyone has to pay for that screwup forever.

My guess is sometime in the past somebody (part time seasonal) did a no-no with a pistol due to improper or inadequate training. Rather than spend the $$$$ on training a 3 month employee they mandated revolvers ------------which "require" less intensive training in proper handling.

Just a guess
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 12-04-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.

Forum Member

I read an articled about using them as "Shield guns" meant to be first through a firing port in a ballistic shield ?? Specifically the 8 shot Smith and Wesson 357 magnum model 27's ?? And as I recall they were often carrying an extra "reload" clipped to the back side of the shield or on the body person using the shield ??

Bill
    Just pay your dues, and be quiet :-)

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by dontknowwhy View Post
    Unless it has changed, it is a policy requirement as Iowa stated. As far as the reasoning behind it, I am not sure. It seems like I remember reading somewhere that they felt seasonal officers carrying their own weapons raised a liability issue for the department. Thus the department felt safer issuing department weapons to them. As to why they chose revolvers, I have no idea. The seasonal academy is far shorter than a traditional academy; perhaps they felt there was not enough time to properly train the recruits on the more complex semi-automatic platform. This is all speculation on my part, however, so please take it with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by Turner; 12-04-2011 at 03:52 PM.

I work for peanuts.
    The only ones that carry wheel guns at my dept are detectives and brass that haven't worked the streets in years. Every new hire is issued a G17.

Forum Member

I believe the Riverside County Sheriff in CA still issues .38's. But Deputies can carry whatever they want. But if want a Dept issued gun, its a .38. At least it was when I was there circa 2004ish

I used to work for Armored Transport during my transition out of the Marines. Wheeeeew. That was one of the dirtiest most manual labor jobs I have ever done. I laugh when I watch bank robbery movies and see guys running out with a "couple million dollars" in their back packs! That would weight 500lbs!!!! Its a thankless, dangerous job.
    Last edited by FlyingPig1; 12-06-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Forum Member
    SC Highway Patrol issues Troopers the s&w airweight 38 as a back up. But of course their primary is a Glock.

I see "Corrections Officers" from the SC Department of Corrections out and about carrying revolvers on transports and such. Not sure if they count or or not.
    Last edited by DeputySC; 12-06-2011 at 06:40 PM.