Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By campuscop2000

Thread: Massachusetts Probation Officer

Forum Member

Massachusetts Probation Officer

Can someone give me some information on Massachusetts Probation Dept. Are probation officers sworn law enforcement? Are they armed? Is it a civil service dept.? Any additional information anyone can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Forum Member
    Probation officers in MA are not armed or sworn LEO. The hiring process for them is going through a massive overhaul after widespread nepotism and patronage was made public by the media. I know a couple of PO's and the rumor is that in the future there will be a civil service test but as of right now all hiring is on a holding pattern.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Traditionalist View Post
    Probation officers in MA are not armed or sworn LEO. The hiring process for them is going through a massive overhaul after widespread nepotism and patronage was made public by the media. I know a couple of PO's and the rumor is that in the future there will be a civil service test but as of right now all hiring is on a holding pattern.
    Thank you. So how do they enforce court orders if they have no legal authority or powers?

Forum Member

Perhaps you meant Parole Officer? Probation Officers in most other states, are civillians as well. The Massachusetts State Parole has Parole Officers who are sworn LEO's that do carry. They conduct field work, work warrants and yes, they baby sit the cons.
    06Malibu_1 likes this.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Future01 View Post
    So how do they enforce court orders if they have no legal authority or powers?
    Through a good working relationship with local and state LEOs. If a Probation Officer puts a warrant on one of their people from my city they call my office and we grab the probationer on the warrant. If they want to do an after hours home visit they call us and we go with them.

Forum Member

After reading about the Mass Probation system in the news, I would wait a little bit before applying there. Seems that the judges were able to give all their relatives positions as probation officers-- including those with drug issues (former ADA became one after some legal issues). Big scandal. Here in NY, at the state level, probation officers are sworn peace officers with the authority to carry and arrest (though whether they exercise these powers is up to the individual county they are employed in). There are obvious perks to a civil service system (though not perfect), as it can help alleviate what Mass Probation went through simply through employing those who can pass a standardized test, pass a psychological, and pass a curriculum designed by the Municipal Police Training Council......