No I dont have a mustache 86-43's Avatar

How long is USAF SF Tech School?

I'm a full time certified peace officer and have been for slightly over 4 years now. I've been tossing around the idea of joining the Air National Guard for various reasons. I'd obviously like to do Security Forces. I know BMT as a trainee is 8.5 weeks, but how long is Tech School for Security Forces? I'm not very versed in anything military, so I'm sure that general question will result in more questions for clarification on my part. Fire away.

Gimme Yo Acorns, Sucka! QuietPro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 86-43 View Post
    I'm a full time certified peace officer and have been for slightly over 4 years now. I've been tossing around the idea of joining the Air National Guard for various reasons. I'd obviously like to do Security Forces. I know BMT as a trainee is 8.5 weeks, but how long is Tech School for Security Forces? I'm not very versed in anything military, so I'm sure that general question will result in more questions for clarification on my part. Fire away.
    Good morning, brother. First, I salute you for wanting to do what you do; I did that as well when I was sworn back in '05. First of all, if you are prior service (any branch) and an E-5 or below, you will be able to skip AF Basic and go right to Tech School. SF Tech school is at Lackland AF Base in Texas; it is now 14 weeks long from last I heard. (It was 13 weeks when I did it.) I had a blast; I got treated like an NCO, had the BEST accommodations I ever had in a school, and enjoyed the training.

Now, on the other hand- if you have no prior service, you will enter as what's called a "pipeliner"....... and your experience will be less pleasant than mine was. You will be treated like a little kid for the most part; because the majority of the airmen who are with you are just that. You will encounter a lot of immaturity on their part, and understand why they treat you like that. It can be frustrating. When I was there, they were basically locked down at night doing cleaning and other menial tasks for the first several weeks of Tech school. That's why the Tech school barracks for pipelines is often reffered to as the "Jailhouse". You shouldn't have a problem if you are decent shape; your biggest challenge will be dealing with the younger airmen and the "Shut up and color" mentality of Basic and Tech School. That said; there are many aspects of training you will enjoy on the tactical side; the L.E. portion will make you scratch your head and say "W.T.F.?" And there is a ton to be said of wanting to serve in the first place.

For more specific questions about training, PM me. Take care, and good luck. P.S.....I hope you enjoy the thought of deploying, because in the A.N.G. I got far more deployment opportunities than I ever did while Active Army.
    Just another squirrel, tryin' to get a nut......

The Tech school is about 6 weeks shorter than it should be.

M-11

PS. Go TACP in the Guard. Good times for all.
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence