Forum Member

Question About Leather Goods Made in Prison

Back in the late 90's I worked for a prison in Texas. I remember the inmates would make and sell custom leather goods (wallets, key chains, portfolios, etc.) to the employees of the prison very cheap. They would make other things like clocks, picture frames, etc but I'm really interested in the leather goods.

Does anyone know of a way that someone who is no longer is employed with the prison system can buy these goods, if they even still do this? I’ve searched Google and have not had much luck...

God Bless Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by 3441 View Post
    Back in the late 90's I worked for a prison in Texas. I remember the inmates would make and sell custom leather goods (wallets, key chains, portfolios, etc.) to the employees of the prison very cheap. They would make other things like clocks, picture frames, etc but I'm really interested in the leather goods.

Does anyone know of a way that someone who is no longer is employed with the prison system can buy these goods, if they even still do this? I’ve searched Google and have not had much luck...
    You SHOULD be able to call the Huntsville Unit (The Walls) and ask for the Craft Shop... (936) 437-1555.

If they won't help you, you'll have to pay a little more, but you can order a lot of stuff through the prison museum gift shop... http://www.txprisonmuseum.org/ or 936-295-2155
    Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

God Bless Texas
    My Constable recently ordered a Ranger-style badge through them, and I know they do a lot of orders for LE not working for TDCJ. Also, a TDCJ Unit may have a craftshop and you may be able to order through it as well.
    Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876