Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
    jeremy.ball.01

Help on Taser and pepper spray

I was just recently hired by my local police dept. I have no prior law enforcement expericence. I am a month away from going to the academy. In a few weeks I will be have to be tasered and oc sprayed before I go. I have heard from a few of my LEO buddies that it is terrible. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on making this process not so miserable?

Forum Member

Suck it up for the most part, sorry it's not gonna be fun.
    Personally I swear by this:
    http://www.mooremedical.com/index.cf...tail&PID=12051
    Buy 5 or so, in my opinion they are worth every penny. They help at the time of the spray. about as much as water (maybe a small bit more). Where it helps the best is with the reactivation.
    Last edited by CACBAND; 11-20-2011 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Fixed the link

Forum Member

As far as the Taser goes, I can't help as Taser exposure for training is a no-no in my dept. As far as I'm concerned it's only a matter before one of our officers looks like an idiot in court saying he tased a guy and has no idea how it feels, but that's a different story.
    From what I hear/see though it's pretty much gone as soon your 5 seconds are up.

Weekend Warrior

Yeah, not much you can do to prepare yourself for getting tased. Just go to the bathroom beforehand.

You'll want to be the first one in line.

Weekend Warrior

Oh, one thing I always tell folks is to make sure you decide beforehand what you are going to yell/say when you are getting tased. You don't want to be that guy that makes a girly sound or just grunts. You'll want to have something teed up so that you go straight to it when you want to start making some noise.

Off topic poster
    Don't sweat the taser or OC spray, it's just mild discomfort and then back to your normal routine. To be honest, it's one of those things that everyone exaggerates to mind screw everyone else. Just go in with a can-do attitude and no problemos what so ever.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mookster View Post
    Don't sweat the taser or OC spray, it's just mild discomfort and then back to your normal routine. To be honest, it's one of those things that everyone exaggerates to mind screw everyone else. Just go in with a can-do attitude and no problemos what so ever.
    No kidding I remember a CCSO deputy who was teaching our DUI class the day before, telling the horror stories, and making it sound like like the end of the world (I think he enjoyed it).

It really wasn't as bad as it was made out to be.

I would also go with a bald cut the day or two before. Makes washing it off easier, and less chance of a rather unpleasant surprise as the water washes down to "other parts" of the body. I suggest leaning over and being careful, if you catch my drift.

Surfing Socal
    To me OC is not all that bad but damn that taser ride sucked.
    Budda sat in front of a wall and when he stood up he was enlightened. I sat in front of a wall and when I stood up the wall was enlightened.

We forge our skills in the fire of our will.

Forum Member

Just clear your mind to not allow anxiety to take over. It will happen. Both are horrible and I don't ever want to be sprayed or tased again. Also, if you have to pee or poo, you won't lose it while being tased. But, when they are both over, you will know how and when to deploy that level of force. Just let it happen!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiu-Jitsu Cop View Post
    To me OC is not all that bad but damn that taser ride sucked.
    I'm the opposite. I love the TASER and love the spark test.

I even get the faintest whiff off OC and my nuts try to crawl back up into my abdomen.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CACBAND View Post
    As far as the Taser goes, I can't help as Taser exposure for training is a no-no in my dept. As far as I'm concerned it's only a matter before one of our officers looks like an idiot in court saying he tased a guy and has no idea how it feels, but that's a different story.
    From what I hear/see though it's pretty much gone as soon your 5 seconds are up.
    As a police officer you're required to be proficient with a gun, but do they shoot you to show how it feels? The same addage can be used for pepper spray and taser. The main reason most agencies require exposure is so an officer knows how to react and to keep fighting if there is cross contamination.

Yes there are plenty of videos out that show pepper spray being used during a struggle and officers involved being contaminated as well as the subject. There are also videos of officers being accidentally tasered, or being part of the circuit when the taser is used while hands on with a subject.

My point is that you don't have to be sprayed or tasered for court, you just have to be able to articulate that yes you had training and that you followed department sop in use of the taser or oc. It's the written report, and how we as police officers articulate our actions in the report that is our own enemy. Poor reports and articulation of actions taken to justify the use of force that gets us hammered in court for allegations of excessive use of force.
    GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIOSTORMUSNRET View Post
    As a police officer you're required to be proficient with a gun, but do they shoot you to show how it feels? The same addage can be used for pepper spray and taser. The main reason most agencies require exposure is so an officer knows how to react and to keep fighting if there is cross contamination.

Yes there are plenty of videos out that show pepper spray being used during a struggle and officers involved being contaminated as well as the subject. There are also videos of officers being accidentally tasered, or being part of the circuit when the taser is used while hands on with a subject.

My point is that you don't have to be sprayed or tasered for court, you just have to be able to articulate that yes you had training and that you followed department sop in use of the taser or oc. It's the written report, and how we as police officers articulate our actions in the report that is our own enemy. Poor reports and articulation of actions taken to justify the use of force that gets us hammered in court for allegations of excessive use of force.
    I know I don't have to be, however I feel the fact that many (if not most) do is putting us at a disadvantage should it go to court. It's not going to stop me from ever doing it though, and I can articulate it's use/policy just fine. It's my belief that we're doing ourselves a disservice, as the policy itself says the reason is the risk of injury from falls or athletic like muscle injuries is too high for a training environment.
    Last edited by CACBAND; 11-20-2011 at 01:34 AM.

Forum Member
    As a police officer you're required to be proficient with a gun, but do they shoot you to show how it feels? The same addage can be used for pepper spray and taser.
    It never has been a requirement for court purposes, but it lends tons of credibility to the officer's testimony. Also, at this point, the OP has no choice - he WILL be exposed. Time to reach down and grab a hold.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CACBAND View Post
    I know I don't have to be, however I feel the fact that many (if not most) do is putting us at a disadvantage should it go to court. It's not going to stop me from ever doing it though, and I can articulate it's use/policy just fine. It's my belief that we're doing ourselves a disservice.
    Not sure how you feel it would be a disadvatage going to court. There is no case law saying the police have to be taserd or pepper sprayed before they can have the equipment and use it. There is case law of those, even with the exposure training, abusing the equipment and getting into excessive force complaints. Even having the exposure doesn't stop the issue from coming up in court, and doesn't prevent the defense from bringing up the issue of training, SOP or excessive use to make the police look bad. Most excessive court rulings that have sided with the defendant have usually been with issues on lack of training, or an over zealous officer, nothing to do with actual exposure during training.
    Last edited by GIOSTORMUSNRET; 11-20-2011 at 01:47 AM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
    It never has been a requirement for court purposes, but it lends tons of credibility to the officer's testimony. Also, at this point, the OP has no choice - he WILL be exposed. Time to reach down and grab a hold.
    Agreed, the op is going to have a fun day. Hope he remembers when taking a shower bend at the waist, pepper spray reactivates in the shower so don't stand straight or it goes to more sensitive areas.

As for adding credibility, I fail to see how being exposed during training lends credibility.

Forum Member
    As for adding credibility, I fail to see how being exposed during training lends credibility.
    When you have to testify to the effects of either OC or a TASER ECD, your testimony can carry much more weight if you were exposed in training. The jurors will always give more weight to the officer who's BTDT.

Forum Member

Not sure how you feel it would be a disadvatage going to court. There is no case law saying the police have to be taserd or pepper sprayed before they can have the equipment and use it. There is case law of those, even with the exposure training, abusing the equipment and getting into excessive force complaints. Even having the exposure doesn't stop the issue from coming up in court, and doesn't prevent the defense from bringing up the issue of training, SOP or excessive use to make the police look bad. Most excessive court rulings that have sided with the defendant have usually been with issues on lack of training, or an over zealous officer, nothing to do with actual exposure during training.
    Like the Sgt was saying "...it lends tons of credibility to the officer's testimony."
    I like the idea of being able to say I know the effects what was done to the offender. Like I said I know it doesn't stop claims in court, but it can help with the it was curl lines and such. Also I really don't want to be on the stand when the defense asks "Why were you not exposed in training" "And why is it policy?" "So you can't mange risk in a training environment, but you can on the street?"

I know, I know, I'm playing a game of what if.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy.ball.01 View Post
    I was just recently hired by my local police dept. I have no prior law enforcement expericence. I am a month away from going to the academy. In a few weeks I will be have to be tasered and oc sprayed before I go. I have heard from a few of my LEO buddies that it is terrible. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on making this process not so miserable?
    Yes. Volunteer to be first.

I'm dead serious.

Forum Member
    When you have to testify to the effects of either OC or a TASER ECD, your testimony can carry much more weight if you were exposed in training. The jurors will always give more weight to the officer who's BTDT.
    My old agency issued tasers, and required that we get tazed to carry them. My new department is about to start issuing them, and guess what? They don't give a flying flip that I already got tazed with my old dept; I have to ride it again.

Not looking forward to it.

Forum Member
    OC sucks liker a M'Fer. It's just the way it is. They'll spray you, and you'll probably have to do some sort of drill (punching some bags, cuffing someone) following the exposure. Fight through it, don't get all worked up and hyperventilate, and you'll be fine. Baby shampoo helped me afterwards. I scrubbed the hell out of my face with water and the baby shampoo, it helped eliminate re-activation later in the shower. Standing in front of a fan helps too. The taser ride lasts five seconds, it hurts while you're taking the ride, and then it's over.

If they're spraying you with that Freeze +P stuff, you're in for a face raping.
    Last edited by elchorizo; 11-20-2011 at 02:04 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kf4vix82 View Post
    My old agency issued tasers, and required that we get tazed to carry them. My new department is about to start issuing them, and guess what? They don't give a flying flip that I already got tazed with my old dept; I have to ride it again.

Yeah, I'm trying to switch agencies too, and I got a guilt trip for even asking about getting out of OC spray again.

Forum Member

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kf4vix82 View Post

Some departments are like that. Not only is mine documented through the instructor training, my 5 second ride with full spread across the back is on video - saved in perpetuity.

Forum Member

Some departments are like that. Not only is mine documented through the instructor training, my 5 second ride with full spread across the back is on video - saved in perpetuity.
    Same here. My OC and Taser video are saved forever.
    Including my quick trip to the E.R. after the OC exposure....Hopefully that will persuade any future departments from wanting to OC me.

Forum Member

Help On Taser And Pepper Spray

Somebody may have already posted this, but, if possible, don't shave the day you get sprayed.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last