Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: supplement intake?

Forum Member

supplement intake?

What would be a good supplement to help gain strength and maybe some size? right now I do construction and I do a lot of heavy lifting so I want to improve in strength and would like something that could help with muscle recovery. I use to take a muscle gainer but I started working so much I had no time to go to the gym and gained some weight so I'm looking to burn some of this weight off and turn too muscle.

Thank You
    NYPD Exam:2311
    Let the process begin!

NCPD Exam:2000
    Score: Pending...

SCPD
    Score: Passed/No call

Suffolk Corrections:
    Score: Passed/No call yet

Suffolk Parks:
    Score: Passed/No call

Suffolk Sheriff:
    Score: Passed/No call yet

PAPD
    Score: Qualified.

NYSP
    Exam: Oct 12th 2013

Forum Member

Sup bro. If you just looking to take a supplement while working, id definitely go with a good quality protein. You need a slow release one too last you through the day like this:

http://www.familywatchdog.us/ShowMap.asp?frm=0#

If your looking to burn fat and get some more energy, try a preworkout like Jack3d or Muscle Pharm Assault. That protein i showed you also has creatine in it, which will help with recovery and strength.
    "Nobody asks to be a hero, it just sometimes turns out that way"

Salty Dog

Start with a gallon of milk a day. If that doesn't give you the extra protein and calories you need, add protein powder. GOMAD has worked for 100 years, and always will work. It's also a lot cheaper than powders with dubious compounds marketed in colorful containers with vaguely pharmaceutical-sounding names.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Forum Member
    A gallon of milk a day? Not to be rude, but I've never read anything about taking that much. But, on the same topic, I know an 8oz serving of chocolate milk is better for you then a Gatorade drink. I'll usually go across to Wally world and get one of those after a work out if I don't have any creatine to drink after working out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rascus View Post
    A gallon of milk a day? Not to be rude, but I've never read anything about taking that much. But, on the same topic, I know an 8oz serving of chocolate milk is better for you then a Gatorade drink. I'll usually go across to Wally world and get one of those after a work out if I don't have any creatine to drink after working out.
    ive done the gallon. did i gain weight, hell ya. did u gain fat, hell ya. its quick, its easy andit works. but if u do it the slow hard.way, the results will stick better
    "Nobody asks to be a hero, it just sometimes turns out that way"

Salty Dog

I've been training with weights for 31 years. It doesn't matter if you do it the slow, hard way or drink a gallon of milk a day and do 20 rep squats and blow up like a balloon. The muscle will last just the same. What it comes down to is if you are working hard enough, resting enough and eating enough protein and calories. Get those basics and worrying about the details is optional.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

wee
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IwantTobeANYSP View Post
    What would be a good supplement to help gain strength and maybe some size? right now I do construction and I do a lot of heavy lifting so I want to improve in strength and would like something that could help with muscle recovery. I use to take a muscle gainer but I started working so much I had no time to go to the gym and gained some weight so I'm looking to burn some of this weight off and turn too muscle.
    Thank You
    Supplements don’t create muscle tissue. You must create the stimuli through exercise and eat properly. Until your diet and training are on point, there is no need for supplements, with the exception of using a solid whey product and you don’t need any fancy hydrolyzed whey. Any quality source of whey concentrate/isolate will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWarrior View Post
    Sup bro. If you just looking to take a supplement while working, id definitely go with a good quality protein. You need a slow release one too last you through the day like this:

If your looking to burn fat and get some more energy, try a preworkout like Jack3d or Muscle Pharm Assault. That protein i showed you also has creatine in it, which will help with recovery and strength.
    please keep your broscience to yourself. “slow release” Don’t regurgitate info you read in a magazine, clearly you don’t understand nutrition.

Supplements CAN NOT burn fat, it defies the laws of thermodynamics. Again, stop reading magazines and do not repeat info you read. Information is not knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by ateamer View Post
    Start with a gallon of milk a day. If that doesn't give you the extra protein and calories you need, add protein powder. GOMAD has worked for 100 years, and always will work. It's also a lot cheaper than powders with dubious compounds marketed in colorful containers with vaguely pharmaceutical-sounding names.
    A gallon of milk is going to add A TON of unwanted calories if the goal is fat loss. GOMAD is great for hardgainers, not so much for those looking to lean out.

I've been training with weights for 31 years. It doesn't matter if you do it the slow, hard way or drink a gallon of milk a day and do 20 rep squats and blow up like a balloon. The muscle will last just the same. What it comes down to is if you are working hard enough, resting enough and eating enough protein and calories. Get those basics and worrying about the details is optional.
    the muscle will last, yet when you gain 20 lbs of of unwated fat along with muscle a fair amount of that lean tissue will be lost when attempting to lean out to rid off the fat brought on by improper dietary practices.

Eating enough yes, eating in such an excess to bring about unwanted fat is a long term faulty idea. Be a tortoise not a hare.

Salty Dog

Nah, the fat's easy to lose, especially if you are young. Bodybuilders have been doing it that way for decades. After you get the size you want, diet strictly, do higher reps and more intense workouts, burn more calories, bump up the protein and cut out carbs and fat for a while. Once you get right where you want, then everything can even out as far as training intensity and diet.

wee
    Forum Member

Nah, the fat's easy to lose, especially if you are young. Bodybuilders have been doing it that way for decades. After you get the size you want, diet strictly, do higher reps and more intense workouts, burn more calories, bump up the protein and cut out carbs and fat for a while. Once you get right where you want, then everything can even out as far as training intensity and diet.
    there is so much misunderstanding with the above statement its beyond pathetic.

Intensity should never change regardless of dietary intake. High reps do not “burn fat” cutting carbs does NOT burn fat. Please do not offer misinformed information as advice you found in a some magazine

Forum Member

A Teamer knows his stuff he was a competive PL'r with some decent numbers, if I recall correctly. I am pretty sure he was refering to adding in more conditioning work (prowler hill runs etc etc. that changes intensity immensely as opposed to hitting a few sets of the basics and getting out) and switching to a normal medium/high rep scheme. As opposed to the 3-5 range most guys use for straight up strength gains for 3 or so sets.

I can get stronger doing 10-12 sets of singles with 85-90 percent of my max but I waste away.

Sorry to get on a soap box and I completly agree with doing away with bro science and recommending of taking of bs volumizing, cutting, and hardening supps. I do take a ton of vitamin mineral supps but each one is for a reason not because I read it in a bs lifting rag.

The gomad does in fact work for slender folks I have put several of my too skinny buddies on it and its worked wonders. I would be waddling around if I did it The side effects area well known and you don't have to wonder if you are going to get some crazy disease or defect later on if you do it. Look into some of the suspected sides of prolonged NO supplementation. I know too many guys who look "swole" have diabetes, high BP, and high Chlosterol from various forays into supplement land. All in an attempt to get fast easy gains.

I take the following supps:

Now Whey protien
    Now Adam multi vitamin
    Zinc Magnesium Calcium complex
    5HTP
    Fishoil
    Now Red Yeast Rice

I don't respond very well to creating but it is one supp I would recommend most lifters try to see if it works for them. The sides are well documented and it's vetted. It should be cheap and simple if they are pushing some mixed new form forget about it. WASTE OF TIME.

Salty Dog

Quote Originally Posted by wee View Post
    there is so much misunderstanding with the above statement its beyond pathetic.

Intensity should never change regardless of dietary intake. High reps do not “burn fat” cutting carbs does NOT burn fat. Please do not offer misinformed information as advice you found in a some magazine
    Really? Did you really just post that? I haven't read any bodybuilding magazines since about 1983. I think the last one I looked at had a rising new competitor named Lee Haney on the cover.

And yeah, doing a lot of reps with as much weight as you can handle and resting as short as possible between sets does burn more calories than a slower pace and not going to failure. And cutting carbs absolutely does reduce fat. I lost fat and had noticeably more definition and a much trimmer waist simply by greatly reducing carbs, especially refined sugars and white flour products, and practically eliminating carbs after 4:00 PM.

I haven't spend a single second in a college classroom learning the theory of training and nutrition, and haven't been to a weekend seminar where you can exchange some money for a bunch of important-sounding letters after your name. I've just been training with weights since 1980, competed in powerlifting for nine years and did pretty well at it and now just train. McCallum, Kelso and Strossen are more the authors I'd look to for training advice than to some barely post-pubescent Jersey Shore wannabe who thinks big bouncy beach balls and wobbly skateboards are the key to success, but can't even squat double bodyweight below parallel.

wee
    Forum Member

And yeah, doing a lot of reps with as much weight as you can handle and resting as short as possible between sets does burn more calories than a slower pace and not going to failure. And cutting carbs absolutely does reduce fat. I lost fat and had noticeably more definition and a much trimmer waist simply by greatly reducing carbs, especially refined sugars and white flour products, and practically eliminating carbs after 4:00 PM.

but can't even squat double bodyweight below parallel. ”says who?”
    cutting carbs does not burn fat, thermodynamics does not become irrelevant by taking carbs out of the picture. If you cut carbs, you cut CALORIES out of your diet (assuming they weren’t replaced by fat/protein) you burn fat by proper manipulation of macronutrient content per an individuals biofeedback.

Its well documented that neither food source or timing dictate body composition. (this is not to dispel proper intake of nutrient rich foods should be forgotten)

Eliminating carbs after 4pm???!!!! Again you CAN NOT defy the laws of thermodynamics, the bodys’ metabolism does not run on the same 24hour clock on the wall. Sorry bud, human biology doesn’t work like that. The idea to cut carbs at night might be one of if not the biggest myth and fallacy that floats around the fitness world.

Salty Dog

I don't worry about macronutrients and biofeedback, whatever the **** they are anyway. I just know what works for me and what has worked for thousands of others for many years. But you go right ahead with the latest and greatest. How many years have you been training and what are your best lifts?

LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG...
    Quote Originally Posted by IwantTobeANYSP View Post
    What would be a good supplement to help gain strength and maybe some size?
    Pizza
    Mike G from NC likes this.
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG...

please keep your broscience to yourself..

- Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Forum Member
    "wee" you haven't really offered any understandable advice to anyone, just gave us a bunch of biology terms.

wee
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AxleFoley View Post
    "wee" you haven't really offered any understandable advice to anyone, just gave us a bunch of biology terms.
    what would you like to know? I’m more then happy to offer advice!

Salty Dog

I'd like to know how many years you have been lifting, how old you are, how much size you have put on over your natural non-trained size and what your best lifts are.

Forum Member

anyone else think this wee guy should take his ''science''-science, and shove it up his ***?

wee
    Forum Member

I'd like to know how many years you have been lifting, how old you are, how much size you have put on over your natural non-trained size and what your best lifts are.
    what you’re saying is physical stature and spread-sheet numbers are a direct reflection of ones education, knowledge and intellect? strong logic, logic is REAL strong in this thread

cool story! believe the broscience all you want, more power to you

Salty Dog

So you are young, haven't been training for long, haven't really accomplished much of anything, and spend your time in a classroom or reading books rather than in the gym doing the real learning.

Forum Member

So you are young, haven't been training for long, haven't really accomplished much of anything, and spend your time in a classroom or reading books rather than in the gym doing the real learning.
    he's due for a promotion

Forum Member

Logic you say. You come in here insulting someone, essentially calling them an uninfomed liar. You get called out can't post us a little personal best's info or a before and after picture showing the pay off your wealth of knowledge has yielded. Talk is cheap the more someone does with out some/any proof, the lower their stock dives.

Forum Member

Just in case you were wondering: his profile

Are You Employed in the Law Enforcement Industry
    No
    Are You a Sworn Police Officer
    No
    Interests
    sports, outdoors, training Occupation
    PT

LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG...
    what you’re saying is physical stature and spread-sheet numbers are a direct reflection of ones education, knowledge and intellect?
    You're asking a Q with a Q. If you are going to present yourself as a topic expert, which you appear to be doing, then you need to be willing to supply your creds, what ever they may be.
    pujolsfan146 likes this.
    - Will

www.OptimalSWAT.com

www.BrinkZone.com

Page 1 of 2 12 Last