Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Chicago aviation police hiring!!!

Forum Member

Chicago aviation police hiring!!!

https://chicago.taleo.net/careersect...ch.ftl?lang=en

Don't make a Career out of it, but its a great way to get certified. 12 openings!

Forum Member

Arrow Why are aviation police unarmed?

Updated: November 11, 2011 5:53PM

I have been a Chicago Department of Aviation police officer for 16 years, and I wonder: Why is this police force unarmed?

The Aviation Police, which work at Chicago’s two airports, are state-certified and sworn police officers who are required to attend a police academy. They are required to pass the state police certification exam, as are the Chicago Police. Aviation police are required to qualify with firearms once a year, as are the Chicago Police. But for some reason, Chicago Aviation Police are unarmed, though they have full police powers like the Chicago Police.

Arming the Chicago Aviation Police could free up Chicago Police to be reassigned to the streets where they are needed. The irony of the situation is other police departments in Chicago are armed. University of Chicago police, Cook County Hospital police, UIC police, railroad police, even the Metropolitan Sanitary District police are armed.

John P. Gieres, Dunning
    http://www.suntimes.com/opinions/let...e-unarmed.html

Forum Member
    railroad police, a long time established ' police' don't have typical govt....stupid stuff, once they get their police commission from whatever it's source.....state law, or the govenor...is aprivate enity, so thus havetheir own requirements.
    i agree, if your inthe role as johnny cop.....you should be 100 % equipped w/o politics.
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

"Retired"
    This Dept was created as a security dept for aviation years back and staffed with political hacks (some of which have been promoted to supervisors there). Some of the people that have been hired: People fired by CPD, Fired suburban coppers, people that couldn't get hired anywhere else, years back had a guy that didn't speak English, retired coppers and an 80 year old guy.

They kind of "evolved" into a PD because of FAA guidlines, but the job hasn't changed from what it was, a good paying security gig, with a good pension. Kind of like having a '92 Pontiac. No matter what sounds you put in it, or cool paint job you put on it, it's still a '92 Pontiac.

Don't buy into what some of their guys say that they will be taking over ALL Police operations at the airports (never happen, by virtue of some of the people they've hired) . The people that have been hired over the years are not equipped to take over all LE at the airports from CPD.

Homeland Sec, FAA, grants have and probably will continue to be used to hire CPD to be used at the airports. With this economy, and with this Mayor, the cause that Aviation guys are championing to become the only LE at the airports may backfire on them and cause their job to be eliminated and them to be classified as "security guard" or "police aid" still unarmed and unsworn, making much less money than they do now, without a Police pension. There basically is too much baggage on that Dept. to turn everything over to them.

This Dept is comprised of people that want a good paying security job, people looking to get certified, people waiting to get on a traditional PD, people that can't work anywhere else, and people that will spend their whole carreer there attempting to change the job to fit what they want..

The City made this Dept. what it is..

Whats In Your Wallet?
    + 10000

Chicago made the department what it is. If anyone is looking for it to turn into what it SHOULD be, like those in LA, NY, and EVERY OTHER major city, its just not going to happen.

Chicago is the MODEL of inefficiency.
    "Sgt, this guy says he wants to talk to some one who knows whats going on."
    "So tell him to call Jessie Jackson"

" Negative, I am currently 10-96 with a 10-98"

Forum Member

Typical...

Like I said don't make it a career. Just putting it out there for people who want to get a foot on the door or even get a freaken job. I didn't have clout nor did the officers that were hired after me. Then to top it off you have to continue to bash the dept. Just leave it alone, get over it. If you didn't have fear that aviation police was going to take over the airport you probably wouldn't have written that. All of the officers graduating from an academy just like you...so what's the problem?? Oh and when you retire i'll bet any money you're going to try and get a job there too. Just stop the bashing

"Retired"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dompolice View Post
    Typical...

Like I said don't make it a career. Just putting it out there for people who want to get a foot on the door or even get a freaken job. I didn't have clout nor did the officers that were hired after me. Then to top it off you have to continue to bash the dept. Just leave it alone, get over it. If you didn't have fear that aviation police was going to take over the airport you probably wouldn't have written that. All of the officers graduating from an academy just like you...so what's the problem?? Oh and when you retire i'll bet any money you're going to try and get a job there too. Just stop the bashing
    But I do know several people there that had clout, otherwise they wouldn't be employed in LE. I am over it. I have no horse in this race. And if you think I'm afraid aviation will take over all the LE at the airports, you're delusional. The only fear I would have is that if I was at the airport(s) and there was an active shooter scenario that was being handled soley by Aviation. As far as working as a security guard at the airport when I retire, nah, don't think so. be bored out of my mind sitting at "Checkpoint Charley" writing plate numbers of trucks making deliveries. But you keep believing that you will be like PAPD or LAXPD...Believe me the CPD guys have nothing to worry about. Their jobs are secure...much more than yours...You guys should be worried that you don't have to give up the 5 point star that says "Police" for a round one that says "Security," along with the $15 per hr pay that goes with it. How'd it work out for the TMA's? How about CHAPD? I'd quit yapping about "we don't have guns," and take that $77K a year for a the glorified guard gig..

BTW, your training is NOT like CPD's. 12 weeks .vs 26 weeks. NO street FTO. Maurer thought he was going to be the "King of The Airports." Didn't work out , did it, althought he got that little "Special" removed from the 4x4's. Like I said, the job is what it is...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownDet View Post
    But I do know several people there that had clout, otherwise they wouldn't be employed in LE. I am over it. I have no horse in this race. And if you think I'm afraid aviation will take over all the LE at the airports, you're delusional. The only fear I would have is that if I was at the airport(s) and there was an active shooter scenario that was being handled soley by Aviation. As far as working as a security guard at the airport when I retire, nah, don't think so. be bored out of my mind sitting at "Checkpoint Charley" writing plate numbers of trucks making deliveries. But you keep believing that you will be like PAPD or LAXPD...Believe me the CPD guys have nothing to worry about. Their jobs are secure...much more than yours...You guys should be worried that you don't have to give up the 5 point star that says "Police" for a round one that says "Security," along with the $15 per hr pay that goes with it. How'd it work out for the TMA's? How about CHAPD? I'd quit yapping about "we don't have guns," and take that $77K a year for a the glorified guard gig..

BTW, your training is NOT like CPD's. 12 weeks .vs 26 weeks. NO street FTO. Maurer thought he was going to be the "King of The Airports." Didn't work out , did it, althought he got that little "Special" removed from the 4x4's. Like I said, the job is what it is...

Yea it is what it is....why couldn't you just ignore this thread...just putting it out there, I even said its not a great career move its just a great way to get certified...see you when you retire ;-)

Forum Member

Have had this issue before, but when I click on the link to apply, the page loads for a split second then goes away.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by goosethebird View Post
    Have had this issue before, but when I click on the link to apply, the page loads for a split second then goes away.
    yes that problem occurs just continue to click back and or refresh the page.

Forum Member
    Applied.

Thanks for the post!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by goosethebird View Post
    I have the same issue. Click on "Printable Format" in the upper right corner and you should be able to read it.

Dompolice:
    Any idea when they will begin hiring or when the academy is supposed to start?
    Also, thanks for posting this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zsayed View Post
    I have the same issue. Click on "Printable Format" in the upper right corner and you should be able to read it.

Dompolice:
    Any idea when they will begin hiring or when the academy is supposed to start?
    Also, thanks for posting this.

Im not sure exactly when they will begin. I do know they want to hire 12-18 people. I also know they prefer to use Cook County Sheriff Police Academy, and I believe the next class starts in January. I highly doubt they will get anyone through the process in that amount of time. They might also utilize the CPD academy, not sure what the dates are for them. I have heard rumors though that they would like people in by May for the Summit. Ill keep you guys posted...

Banned

Last edited by Of.Ponzi; 08-05-2012 at 11:58 PM.

Zoo Keeper
    Can they carry off duty?
    Sincerely, Harry Balczak

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsd0601 View Post
    Can they carry off duty?
    Errr....No....because they are unarmed on duty. Why would they have off-duty carry if they can't carry on duty....?

Forum Member

According to the NLEOSA thay can most definitely carry off duty. General Order's do not dictate your ability to carry under the NLEOSA, but at the same time while the NLEOSA may prevent you from being criminally charged it does not protect you from administrative actions by your department. Just saying.
    Those who have struggled with failure more appreciate success; than those who succeed but never themselves test.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3531Marine View Post
    According to the NLEOSA thay can most definitely carry off duty. General Order's do not dictate your ability to carry under the NLEOSA, but at the same time while the NLEOSA may prevent you from being criminally charged it does not protect you from administrative actions by your department. Just saying.
    Then the answer to the question is no. You are splitting hairs with this answer. If one is going to get jammed up, do they have the approval of the department to carry off duty? The answer is No.

They do not have permission to carry and if they do they can be fired is the answer.

I can carry an unapproved weapon legally. When someone asks me if I can carry a, b, or c, the answer is no if it isn't approved.

Forum Member
    NO!!!! NO!!!! NO!!!!! THE ANSWER IS NO AND YES I AM SHOUTING!!!!! Like SeVere said ......splitting hairs. I got into a big posting fight with some guy named dog off leash because he WOULD NOT understand the point. Statute allows police to carry off duty. Yes that is true. The individual department DICTATES what weapon that officer can carry if he /she is allowed to carry at all. The whole HR218 thing generally applies to carrying outside of your state. IN illinois you would likely avoid anything criminal and have to face administrative which would likely make you an ex-cop. Carrying out of state places the liability solely upon your shoulders. You incur all liability whether you shoot is good or not. Please dont twist the words and for the love of all that is good do not "what if". The answer is NO!!!!!!
    You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat357 View Post
    Errr....No....because they are unarmed on duty. Why would they have off-duty carry if they can't carry on duty....?
    cook county sheriff CO can carry off duty but not on duty.... duh?!?!?!

Whats In Your Wallet?
    To extend this NO fest........

NLEOSA -

qualified law enforcement officer means an employee of a governmental agency who--

`(1) is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest;

`(2) is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;

Chicago Aviation police are NOT, i repeat, NOT authorized to carry a firearm...........

YOU ARE NOT COVERED.

Whats In Your Wallet?
    Quote Originally Posted by ibarrae7 View Post
    Ummmmmm, yeah................

Cook County CO's can carry by virtue of their deputization......... Cook County CO's CAN and DO carry on duty...... DEPENDING ON WHERE THEY ARE POSTED. IE Transport, SWAP, and such.

They just dont carry in the jail......... and it should be pretty obvious why.

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by ibarrae7 View Post
    Cook County Deputies don't carry on-duty because they are in a jail situation you dolt..... The ones working outside the jail carry all the time....I've got a cousin that is on the job there.......

Good Lord.... are you really that stupid.....?

Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by M.C.S.D View Post
    To extend this NO fest........

NLEOSA -

Chicago Aviation police are NOT, i repeat, NOT authorized to carry a firearm...........

YOU ARE NOT COVERED.
    Thanks for the back-up...

Amazes me that folks not even on the job post crap on here when they are clueless.....and think they know the answers but don't......

Forum Member

My agency has a policy that does not allow me to carry my firearm while I am
    off-duty. Does this mean that this legislation will not benefit me?

If you are a qualified active law enforcement officer, you are legally able to carry a firearm
    under 18 USC 926B. There may be agencies which enforce or adopt policies, rules, regulations,
    or employment conditions which discourage or punish officers which choose to carry while off duty,
    but such actions do not mean that the officer cannot carry lawfully under the provisions of
    this statute.

Legally, they can carry off duty. Administratively, they can lose their jobs. It's not splitting hairs, it's statute. I believe according to CPD general orders police can't drink on or off duty, unless it changed. Does that mean that officers don't and shouldn't do it? You're right Bearcat, because I choose not to put my professional information in my profile that means I am not on the job, great inference. I know that according to statute and most general orders officers can't be armed while intoxicated off duty for most departments, but I personally know someone who was involved in a shooting and was drinking but didn't face any legal or administrative actions, who would have thought that enforcing the law isn't black and white?
    Those who have struggled with failure more appreciate success; than those who succeed but never themselves test.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last