X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • btfp
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2008

red light cameras

I read with interest that LA is doing away with their red light cameras. Apparently, paying fines was voluntary.
    Let me ask you something. In california, if you get stopped by a real cop as opposed to a red light infraction, and you do not pay what happens? What if you are not from the area? How long are you on the books for, as opposed to the red light infraction?
    In Philly, red light infractions are handled by the parking authority,. Yes, the same people that brought you parking wars. Want to fight your red light ticket? send us $100.00 and you then show up to be found guilty.
    If you ignore it, they just make it difficult to re new the car registration .
    Of course if there is an incident where you get a ticket and a uniformed cop is directing you through the red light, or if you are in a funeral procession, you get your ticket dismissed.
    I don't know what happens if you are not from the area and get a red light violation. No one can stand these things here. They are designed to make money and that is it.
  • FireCop604
    "Livin' the dream..."
    • Aug 2007

I have far less of an issue with the red light cameras than I do speed cameras.
    "I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand; particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go" - Battalion Chief John Sullivan, FDNY

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!" - Rev1

"If you reload like old people f@ck, then you need to be behind something that stops bullets." - Blackdog F4i

IGNORE = since9, justme001, opencarry, bsd13, asullivan, okjoe, Patrick Sander, CJ616

Comment

• MD11pilot
      Flaps 35 please
      • Jun 2009

A red light camera flashed my car during a right turn even though I had a green arrow indicating that I should proceed with the turn. Time to see if I get a ticket and if one does arrive then it should be an easy victory in court.
      Life is what you make of it

Comment

• dontknowwhy
        Forum Member
        • Jan 2010

We had 3 in my hometown but they have all disappeared recently. From what I understand, a ticket from one of those was they same as if I gave you one, just a lower fine.
        Originally posted by Ceridwen
        Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

• John0397
          I'm always learning...
          • Nov 2010

I was a bit suprised when reading that story that the state courts had said paying those fines from red light cameras were voluntary. The article stated that there were 65,000 plus tickets issued that were not paid in the past year. That's a lot of revenue lost and people wonder why California is in such a financial mess.

Comment

• FJDave
            Forum Member
            • Dec 2008

The cities do not get much, if any, of the fines....the fines are split between the courts and the red-light-camera company. Yes, the company gets a chunk of the money for maintaining and operating the cameras. They are leased. So the police department sees very little of the fine cash. Then when someone wants to fight the cite, no one from the company shows up to testify....and the cite is thrown out.
            sigpic
            Originally posted by Smurfette
            Lord have mercy. You're about as slick as the business side of duct tape.
            Originally posted by DAL
            You are without doubt a void surrounded by a sphincter muscle.

Comment

• RSGSRT
              Forum Member
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by FireCop604
              I have far less of an issue with the red light cameras than I do speed cameras.
              +1

We've had speed camera's mounted on the front of Jeep's that park in several random highway "construction zones" (when there's no construction going on at all) and anyone going 11 mph+ gets a nice picture of their car in the mail. A lot of marked police cars have been getting tickets that they are not immune (unless running code) from. This includes troopers that know where these cameras are all the time lol

Comment

• Dingo990
                Forum Member
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by RSGSRT
                +1

We've had speed camera's mounted on the front of Jeep's that park in several random highway "construction zones" (when there's no construction going on at all) and anyone going 11 mph+ gets a nice picture of their car in the mail. A lot of marked police cars have been getting tickets that they are not immune (unless running code) from. This includes troopers that know where these cameras are all the time lol
                Immune no, easy case to beat, probably. Unless the court brings in certified proof that I was operating that particular squad car on that day. I know my PD would make them subpoena any records. In all, it would be more trouble than it's worth for the court.

I hate red light cameras, nothing more than a shameless money maker and cities are slowly finding out they aren't really making money off them.

Comment

• BC.123
                  Forum Member
                  • Jun 2011

They're a good idea on paper, but they're causing problems too. Before they were installed, if the light turned orange most people would speed up and make it through the light (not that that's necessarily a good thing), but now when it turns orange, people don't want to risk getting tagged by the camera if it turns red, so they slam on their brakes and get rear ended by the driver behind them.

Comment

• HardBall
                    Forum Member
                    • Mar 2005

A major factor that makes policing a 'profession' is the exercise of discretion. The criminal justice system expects professional officers to apply common sense to each situation.

All camera enforcement negates this most important element of our profession.
                    10% of the cops do 90% of the work

Comment

• Astrak
                      Forum Member
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by BC.123
                      They're a good idea on paper, but they're causing problems too. Before they were installed, if the light turned orange most people would speed up and make it through the light (not that that's necessarily a good thing), but now when it turns orange, people don't want to risk getting tagged by the camera if it turns red, so they slam on their brakes and get rear ended by the driver behind them.
                      I'd say the problem is with the lights turning orange and not yellow.

Comment

• jeffIL
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by MD11pilot
                        A red light camera flashed my car during a right turn even though I had a green arrow indicating that I should proceed with the turn. Time to see if I get a ticket and if one does arrive then it should be an easy victory in court.
                        Where I work they flash all the time but that doesn't mean you'll get a ticket. The company reviews it then forwards actual violation for our guys to review. Just fyi.
                        For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

• mdrdep
                          An Obvious problem
                          • May 2007

The camera cites are usually treated as a civil matter. If I cite you, it's criminal (infraction). Failure to appear on your citation from me may result in a warrant for your arrest, suspension of your driver's license, an additional charge (40508a CVC failure to appear), and/or referral to a collection agency with a negative report on your credit report.
                          Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

• stormz5192
                            Opionated
                            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by FJDave
                            The cities do not get much, if any, of the fines....the fines are split between the courts and the red-light-camera company. Yes, the company gets a chunk of the money for maintaining and operating the cameras. They are leased. So the police department sees very little of the fine cash. Then when someone wants to fight the cite, no one from the company shows up to testify....and the cite is thrown out.
                            Our 1 camera generated $1.3 million for the twp in less than a year. In line for 2 more. Reviewing the violations is a full time job.
                            Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

• JJHunsacker
                              Forum Member
                              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by btfp
                              I read with interest that LA is doing away with their red light cameras. Apparently, paying fines was voluntary.
                              Let me ask you something. In california, if you get stopped by a real cop as opposed to a red light infraction, and you do not pay what happens? What if you are not from the area? How long are you on the books for, as opposed to the red light infraction?
                              In Philly, red light infractions are handled by the parking authority,. Yes, the same people that brought you parking wars. Want to fight your red light ticket? send us $100.00 and you then show up to be found guilty.
                              If you ignore it, they just make it difficult to re new the car registration .
                              Of course if there is an incident where you get a ticket and a uniformed cop is directing you through the red light, or if you are in a funeral procession, you get your ticket dismissed.
                              I don't know what happens if you are not from the area and get a red light violation. No one can stand these things here. They are designed to make money and that is it.
                              Wanted to make sure this wasn't Ask a Cop. If you get pulled over and get written a ticket, you have two choices: Pay, or go to court and fight it. Ignoring it is probably not a good idea.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 25277 users online. 66 members and 25211 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...