Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

NYC Correction Officer Questions

alright 2 questions............

1- about how long is the wait to become a correction officer after you take the test? Is it the same amount of time as the NYPD?

2- I took the NYPD exam and wanted to know if I became a correction officer, would I be able to transfer to the NYPD?
    Last edited by Future_Finest; 11-14-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Forum Member
    its around a 2 year wait I would say, probably a little faster then the PD to get hired.
    If you get hired by the NYPD, you can keep all the time served and transfer it to your pension. So say you serve a CO for 2 years, thats 2 years of service in your NYPD pension. And Oh, you obviously have to go through the academy again. Corrections and Police ...2 different animals.

Forum Member

Not sure if it means anything but when I took the walk in exam a few weeks ago, when i was finished, the proctor showed me my score and told me I'd get my official score in the mail in about a year, so it seems like it's a pretty decent wait time.

Forum Member

I called the DCAS automated system today and the list for nyc correction officer exam 2315 has finally been made its like 1162 or 1165 elgible on the list

All things to all people!
    Quote Originally Posted by Future_Finest View Post

1- about how long is the wait to become a correction officer after you take the test? Is it the same amount of time as the NYPD?

2- I took the NYPD exam and wanted to know if I became a correction officer, would I be able to transfer to the NYPD?
    I can't answer your first question but the answer to your second question is NO. Correction Officer and Police Officer are TWO separate unique civil service titles. You would have to take the NYC Police Officer written exam and be processed in the same manner as any other candidate for the position.

Forum Member

Both jobs have great benefits but I think that NYPD is better, remeber they have that 12,ooo supliment after retirement, have more oportunitys making more money threw details, your out on the street and not locked up, theres more units to move to, more chances of going up in rank. NYPD is faster then NYCDOC because Pd recruit more then 3000 per year while doc less then 1400. The wait of DOC is abot three years right now there processing ppl from april 2009 while is processin ppl from 2010. Like i said earlier both are good but not the same..The best of luck..

AOSPADES. RECIVIENG YOUR SCORE DOESNT MEAN THAT THEY ARE GOING TO CALL U QUIK A YEAR IS ALONG TIME U SHOULD RECIEVE THE SCORE BY 6 MONTHS BUT U STILL HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER 2 YEARS AND CHANGE TO BEGIN THE PROCESS.....

Quote Originally Posted by Future_Finest View Post

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LEO2010 View Post
    Both jobs have great benefits but I think that NYPD is better, remeber they have that 12,ooo supliment after retirement, have more oportunitys making more money threw details, your out on the street and not locked up, theres more units to move to, more chances of going up in rank. NYPD is faster then NYCDOC because Pd recruit more then 3000 per year while doc less then 1400. The wait of DOC is abot three years right now there processing ppl from april 2009 while is processin ppl from 2010. Like i said earlier both are good but not the same..The best of luck..

AOSPADES. RECIVIENG YOUR SCORE DOESNT MEAN THAT THEY ARE GOING TO CALL U QUIK A YEAR IS ALONG TIME U SHOULD RECIEVE THE SCORE BY 6 MONTHS BUT U STILL HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER 2 YEARS AND CHANGE TO BEGIN THE PROCESS.....

I know. I didn't say that we'd be hired quick, i actually meant quite the opposite. If it was going to take them a year to even return the scores, then it would be a lot longer before anyone was called. That being said, I did receive my scores in the mail a few days ago, as I'm sure everyone else did.

Forum Member
    I took this exam on April 2010 still yet to here from them so its a 3-3.5 year wait...
    Rookie Correction Officer

Forum Member

I just got a call from DOC on Saturday about an orientation on 5/18. I have to update my sig but I took the test on 3/2010.

Has anyone else received a call??
    NYPD
    Exam: 0309 (1/10)
    List#: 3xx
    Everything COMPLETED

GOT THE CALL 1/6/13 @ 5:38 PM!!!!!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DEEZPAZ View Post
    I just got a call from DOC on Saturday about an orientation on 5/18. I have to update my sig but I took the test on 3/2010.

Has anyone else received a call??
    Cool so that means my test which is April 2010 should e getting the call soon

Forum Member

Out of curiosity, do either of you know your exam number?

Forum Member
    NYC Corrections and NYC Police are two different jobs is right. They're always so nice and willing to help when you bring them a body... "you sick? no. i'ma ask you again, you sick? no. yeah he's a special, take him out."

Or when one blatently disobeys a traffic sign, gets pulled over for it, then acts like he's being inconvenienced while holding his I.D. card through the 4 inch opening he made in the window. NYC DOC, they're GrrrrEAT!

Of course there are good and bad in all departments, I just get their bad apples about 85% of the time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AOSpades View Post
    Out of curiosity, do either of you know your exam number?
    I just found my answer sheet from the test which gives the exam # but how do you get the list #?? I can't find the card they mailed to me with my test score and list #..
    NYPD
    Everything COMPLETED

Forum Member

I never put it on my sign- but I took DOC test on 2010 Exam#300 and couldn't make the orientation today @ Astoria Queens. Anyone attended the orientation.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freeze106 View Post
    I never put it on my sign- but I took DOC test on 2010 Exam#300 and couldn't make the orientation today @ Astoria Queens. Anyone attended the orientation.
    What month did you take it? I took 0111 in April 2010 haven't heard anything yet..

Forum Member

NYJETS your right about some correction officers acting in a non professional matter. I have been on the job for two years(NYC doc) and when I get pulled over. I always show the upmost respect, first off I do not wait for the officer to catch up to me you know when ur getting pulled over so I start to make my way to the shoulder second if at night I turn the interior lights on for obvious reasons them window always comes all the way down with liscence ID shield and insurance in hand everything is answered with no sir/mam yes sir/man I also inform them that I am carrying just out of respect. I never get a hard time I guess because the way I come across is with respect and humble. Yes unfortunately I do speed a bit but I hope all nypd ncpd and scpd o and state troopers understand that we work very long ours with a lot of OT at leat 60 hours a month so we are trying to get hope to put in three hours of rest before going back to jail just to do another 16 hours. Especially those of us who live on long island(east). Luckily all my run ins have ended with thank you sir.

Forum Member

I had the opportunity to go to nypd after I was six months on the job but I made the decision to stay with corrections mainly because I just graduated the corrections academy. I also talk to a lot of nypd officers at elmhurst and belview hospital runs and they also talk to me with respect. Our job is not easy by any means so don't get it twisted but nypd sees us as lazy because when we get bodies from they they movie either extremely slow or bitch and moan.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=Young movez ;3057099]What month did you take it? I took 0111 in April 2010 haven't heard anything yet..[/QUOT]
    on October of 2009.
    Last edited by Freeze106; 05-20-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: found initial date of question.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by probe7899 View Post
    I had the opportunity to go to nypd after I was six months on the job but I made the decision to stay with corrections mainly because I just graduated the corrections academy. I also talk to a lot of nypd officers at elmhurst and belview hospital runs and they also talk to me with respect. Our job is not easy by any means so don't get it twisted but nypd sees us as lazy because when we get bodies from they they movie either extremely slow or bitch and moan.
    Hows the OT?

Forum Member

OT is crazy imagine working a double three out of four days. Most jails have a 57 hour cap(monthly) But one jail is doing over 80 hours.

Forum Member

Just went for my orientation last Friday and have my medical scheduled for 6/4
    NYPD
    Everything COMPLETED

Forum Member
    Just went for my orientation last Friday and have my medical scheduled for 6/4
    Cool man I'm right behind you. And let me know what academy are they aiming for with your exam.. Keep me posted and GL

Forum Member

They said they have an August academy so I'm hoping to get in that one!! GL as well!!
    NYPD
    Everything COMPLETED

Forum Member
    They said they have an August academy so I'm hoping to get in that one!! GL as well!!
    What about PD? I'm doing which ever gets back to me first.. they're both great job's

Forum Member

What happens at orientation? i'm scheduled for next tuesday 5/29

Page 1 of 2 12 Last