Forum Member

Arrow Getting Sworn-In to a Police Department (What Occurs)

What exactly happens when you get Sworn-In as a Police Officer? Do you get your badge right then an there? I am getting sworn-in later in this month. I am new to Law Enforcement, so I don't know exactly what happens.

Thanks

Forum Member
    I put my hand up, repeated a few lines from a sheet of paper, and got a handshake from the chief. I think there is a more official looking one coming up at a town hall meeting when I graduate from the academy.

I also developed x-ray vision.

Salty Dog

Six of us assembled in the Sheriff's office (the head honcho's actual office, not just HQ in general), he told us that the one thing that will guarantee he'd terminate any of us would be to lie about anything. Then his secretary read us the oath, we said "I do" and that was it. The sheriff went back to his paperwork and one of the new hires who'd worked several years as a CO for us extended his hand. The sheriff looked up for a second, then stood up and shook our hands without saying a word, then sat back down to his paperwork.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Forum Member

You stand there with you right arm raised and you repeat after the person swearing you in what ever he/she says. After that, you shake hands with friends, family, other officers in attendance, etc. Then you sign something but sometimes you sign something first. But in all of that hoopla, you look down on that bright and shiny new badge and grab it firmly due to the wild ride you will have as a LEO.

Forum Member

Part of it depends on the dept. I've been sworn in by the chief in his office and I've been sworn in by the mayor at a town council meeting.

God Bless Texas
    First agency I was with (I self-sponsored in the academy, graduated and then went to work for them) - They had me sworn in by the Municipal Judge before the start of traffic court. Chief pinned the badge on, I raised my right hand and repeated everything she said. Big production.

Last two agencies - "Here sign this form and get your @$$ to work."
    Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Forum Member

Stood there, hand raised, repeated the oath...couple weeks later, shook hands with the Governor and he congratulated me on my appointment. No big deal.

Forum Member

Mine was less than special. "Here's the oath, sign at the bottom" "Thanks"

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CACBAND View Post
    Mine was less than special. "Here's the oath, sign at the bottom" "Thanks"
    My first agency didn't swear in anybody. I worked as a reserve officer there for a short spell, and one day the chief called me into his office and had me sit down. He said, I need to hire one full time, you want the job? So I said yes, I swapped out my reserve badge for the style the full timers wore and he said "start monday." Academy followed a couple weeks later.

My current agency did the whole shebang. Suits, tie, raise the right hand, yada yada... much ado about nothing, IMO.

Forum Member

It's what you make of it. Both times I was sworn in by the Mayor in the police station. Larger departments tend to have elaborate ceremonies.

I'm kind of old-fashioned, so although I repeated the words quickly, I actaully thought about what I was swearing to. It shouldn't be taken lightly. Although I see all sorts of answers here, some of which being that it isn't a big deal, I think it should be.

If you truly mean what you are raising your hand and swearing to, and you shoud mean it, it means your life is different from that point on. It means that you are willing to uphold the Constituion of the state and the Nation. To defend it from all those who mean to do it harm, and if need be, make the ultimate sacrifice to make that defense.

My parents, my sister, and my friends all sleep at night guarded by men and women who made that oath, just like I have, and just like you will. It is a noble thing that defines your character. Be worthy of it.

OK, enough pontification for now. I like the X-Ray vision thing, too. That is definately an added perk! :-)

Opionated
    First time was in the clerks office. Signed paper while working. Second was promotions. Done before the council meeting with friends, family, bible and such.
    Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Forum Member

I was sworn in 1970, very informal, there were about 10 of us getting hired... We were given our badges and ID cards. Some Sgt. swore us in. At the time LASD had a off the streeter program where you worked in the jail prior to the academy... After being sworn in we drove to the uniform store in downtown Los Angeles where we received our class A and Class B uniforms...

At midnight I was working in the county jail system, where I worked for 2 months prior to starting the academy.
    Retired LASD

Equal Height Equal Light

We have a formal graduation ceremony; the graduating class sits there at attention while several speakers talk about Metro's history, etc. Then one at a time you go up and the Sheriff (or a family member, if they are a current/retired LEO) pins your badge on. Everyone raises their right hand and swears in.

I will never forget walking backstage, BSing with my fellow graduates, then looking over and seeing our badges sitting on a table. For me, that specific moment was when it all became real for me. We all walked a long damn road to get those pieces of tin.

EDIT: Here's how ours looks, starting at about 6 minutes into the video:

http://www.lvrj.com/multimedia/the-m...112131534.html
    Last edited by Chomp; 11-09-2011 at 06:30 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Item9 View Post
    I put my hand up, repeated a few lines from a sheet of paper, and got a handshake from the chief. I think there is a more official looking one coming up at a town hall meeting when I graduate from the academy.

I also developed x-ray vision.
    Did you get your x-ray vision before or after the angels started to sing?

S*** just got real!
    It's usually just a bunch of people yelling horrible things at you. Happens all the time.

*edit: Oh, that says sworn IN. Nevermind.

Not so Special Agent...
    Sworn in and signed in a classrom when I first reported for duty to fill out a hundred admin forms. Didn't get to touch my badge or creds until I graduated the academy five months later.
    "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

"Calves of Justice"
    I was actually working for about 3 months before I got officially sworn in. I was in front of city hall, raised my hand, repeated some words, and badabing, got sworn-in, however I was working as a full-service police officer prior to that...a little backwards, I know.
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

Forum Member
    Ok, let me qualify this by saying I've worked part-time for a couple agencies, so I've been an officer with six different departments and thus full-time with three. I've also been deputized for another that I wasn't employed with. That said, I've had a total of six different department ID cards and five different badges.

I've only been sworn in three times. I never was with the very first agency I worked with (county). The second one (city) had me go before the district court judge, do the oath, sign the papers, and go on my way. The third one (state) had me to go the state supreme court, do the oath in front of the head clerk, sign a paper, and then go on my way. The fourth (city) did nothing, and the fifth (tiny city)did nothing. However, the deputizing sheriff's office (county), that I'm not employed with, had me go before a circuit court judge, do the oath in his chamber between cases, he signed, I signed, and he shook my hand and said "I haven't done this in a long time. I almost forgot what to say."

You can work here without it, but Standards likes to see the documentation in your file. We're empowered based on getting hired and sending in a form. Magical, right? Then you get up to 20 months as a full-timer without having to get trained, lol.
    Last edited by ArkansasFan24; 11-12-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasFan24 View Post
    Then you get up to 20 months as a full-timer without having to get trained, lol.
    Tell me they don't let you road patrol for upto 20 months without training?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYCDep View Post
    It's usually just a bunch of people yelling horrible things at you. Happens all the time.

*edit: Oh, that says sworn IN. Nevermind.
    Damn! Beat me to it.

My swearing in was actually kinda awesome. It was a couple days before graduation, and we all thought we were gonna get smoked that afternoon. But instead, the chief comes in and swears us all in and we get our badges 2 days before we actually graduated the academy, with the stern warning not to go out playing police officer. I seriously just sat at my desk staring at the badge for a few minutes, and I looked around and everyone on my row was doing the same thing. I don't think I've ever been so proud.

Forum Member

You get sworn in and then shown THE SECRET HANDSHAKE.
    "Lay there and bleed awhile before you feel some real pain."

"Have a cup of coffee, a pall mall, and relax!"

Forum Member
    Yep, some miniature police departments that merely need a body to wear the uniform will do that. I went to the academy with a couple of guys who had worked around that length of time. I'm friends with a guy who started in a tiny town who was literally handed a badge and keys to a car his first day on-duty. His boss, the chief, (two man dept.) was also the town water manager. I wouldn't condemn it too much. In theory, it seems foolish (and is), but if you were to attend our multi-agency, statewide, 12 week academy that has four classes per year you'd realize it's mostly a foolish, middle school-like experience to begin with. People giggled less in my 7th grade health class than they did at the academy.
    Last edited by ArkansasFan24; 11-15-2011 at 11:21 PM.

It's Complicated
    18 months in Iowa
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon - no matter how good you are, the pigeon will still crap all over the board and strut around like it won anyway."

I don't know it all, I know a little about a lot and a lot about a little---slamdunc

I have discussed religion and politics over morning coffee with men who have killed people, you don't scare me.