Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Forum Member

Pens for the cold

Does anybody know of any good pens that won't freeze up on you when you're writing in the cold?

Thanks

This Can't Be!
    A red house in a red county in a red state in a red country
    Quote Originally Posted by Orale View Post
    Does anybody know of any good pens that won't freeze up on you when you're writing in the cold?Thanks
    There are none. Use a pencil

Mildly Interesting
    Boy oh boy, one more thing I can add to the list of reasons why I love being a cop in California.

Forum Member
    Does anybody know of any good pens that won't freeze up on you when you're writing in the cold?

Thanks
    Fisher space pens. Google them.

Senior Veteran
    I use the G2 gel pens...I've never had one freeze up on me and it gets plenty cold here in VT!
    "My give a damn's busted"

Forum Member

Fisher Space Pen in a Zebra hybrid (all metal) body.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kf4vix82 View Post
    Fisher space pens
    Law Enforcement Officers Equity Act (H.R. 1362)
    Sign this petition that will change the retirement benefits for federal police officers currently not covered. No registration required.

Forum Member
    if it's too cold to write...well it's too cold to write!

One man Wolfpack
    Superfine sharpies work well if you carry them in an inside pocket.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Forum Member

Gel pens tend to do better in the cold but can freeze if you are in sub-zero temps for an extended period of time. I have a Fisher Space pen (the police one), it won't freeze but I don't like the way it writes for normal usage plus they are a bit pricey.

The Uni-Ball Power Tank will do everything a space pen will do for a fraction of the price. Just get one or two of them and keep them in your bag until it gets cold.

Forum Member

I just use a pencil here in Minnesota.. Gets a little chilly here at times.. Like November thru May..

Forum Member
    I'll add another recommendation for the Fisher space pen. Around $10 on Amazon and it not only writes well into single-digit temps, it even writes on wet paper in the rain. Great tool.

Mine is even TACTICAL. Ok, it's just flat black. But it looks cool!
    "The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, can not and will not ever harm the sheep." -Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

CSI Sucks
    I don't know that there is a need for a $10 pen. The Pilot G-series pens have been working well for me for over 10 years now. There's the G-2, G-5, etc. The number at the end just differentiates the thickness with which the pen writes. They are available everywhere (Wal-Mart, Target, any office supply store) and the refills are also easy to come by. And they are not $10.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting 3 or 4 times.

M-11

Barefoot Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by 1042 Trooper View Post
    There are none. Use a pencil
    ^^^^This.

I've had a Fisher Space Pen freeze on me. Multiple times. (It gets that cold here.) I also was not a fan of a) how much they cost and b) how they wrote.

For those rare times I need a pen out in the cold, I used to keep a small bullet pen clipped to the inside shoulder strap on my body armor.
    Quote Originally Posted by kontemplerande View Post
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.
    Strong is what's left when you've used up all your weak.

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the space pens but will buy some G2s for now. It's only dropped down to the 30s but my pens still won't work for some reason. Maybe I just use cheap pens.

Forum Member
    I love the Fisher pens since they write very smoothly. I found them to be flawless, even in the dead of winter when it can get down to 50 degrees beach side.
    Work harder! Millions on welfare depend on you...

Forum Member

to cold to write

Its called the interior of your squad car with the heater on.
    "I do not fear the man who yells, I fear the man who doesn't"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jswwjw View Post
    Its called the interior of your squad car with the heater on.
    No, it's called a field interview in the cold away from your car.

Forum Member

I looked into the space pens, and they are not terribly expensive. For those of you that don't like how the space pen writes, can you elaborate a little bit? I bought some G series pens, and i am having trouble with the ink bleeding a little bit.

Forum Member
    I looked into the space pens, and they are not terribly expensive. For those of you that don't like how the space pen writes, can you elaborate a little bit? I bought some G series pens, and i am having trouble with the ink bleeding a little bit.
    I don't know what everyone else's problem is, but I have never had a problem with the space pens. It writes just like a regular pen. I have 3 of them; 2 bullet pens, and one astronaut pen that I sometimes carry at work. (usually stays in my bag).

The only reason I have 2 bullet pens is because I lost one, replaced it, and then found the original one. Regardless, you won't be disappointed if you buy one. You can spend as little as $10 for a fisher space pen, or as much as $200, depending on what you are looking for.

Band-aid jockey
    I use the G series pens and it takes time to get your writing style to a point where they don't bleed on the paper.

P.S. I too work in the Colorado Mountains and have not had a problem with the G-2.

Armed Babysitter

I'll second the G-2, can't say how it does past about 50 degrees or so.

I have absolutely no idea how you guys do your job in weather so cold you have to worry about your pen freezing. (I thought rain was bad)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikeymedic View Post
    I use the G series pens and it takes time to get your writing style to a point where they don't bleed on the paper.

P.S. I too work in the Colorado Mountains and have not had a problem with the G-2.
    Those are the ones I got (G2), it feels like I'm writing with a sharpie. The fi cards require us to write small which is fine, but with that ink the words tend to crowd a little bit, and there is virtually no separation between characters. I write pretty small and neat too.

It seems like you guys that have the space pen only use it when nessessary, why not use it year round as your primary writing tool?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 355339 View Post
    I love the Fisher pens since they write very smoothly. I found them to be flawless, even in the dead of winter when it can get down to 50 degrees beach side.
    Really?

Your in Florida and you think that you can comment on cold weather gear? You really have no business talking about anything cold related.

c'mon up to Alaska, it will be 50 below zero by next month.

Cheers

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fahrenheit View Post
    Mine is even TACTICAL. Ok, it's just flat black. But it looks cool!
    LOL, I'm surprised they don't market a Tactical X-TREME version at double the price.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last