Annoyed, amazed & amused!

Tucson, AZ Gifford's shooting debrief

Hey all - I spent yesterday atttending a debrief of the Jan. 8, 2011 Tucson, AZ shooting incident. Needless to say, if you have an opportunity to see and hear this presentation done by Pima Co. SD Captains Frank Duarte & Byron Gwaltney, and Pima Co. FD Battalion Chief Lane Spalla and Capt. Robert Lozano, DO NOT MISS IT.

As you may remember, six lives were lost. The E/R doc credited Immediate First Aid Kits (IFAK's) carried and utilized by Pima County Deputies (prior to the arrival of paramedics) with saving three lives.

The shooting incident itself was a monumental task made easir by frequent disaster drills. In the days which followed, however, this same department had to provide security for Senators, cabinet officials, and POTUS for various events, which had (for lack of a better term) "threats" of disruption by Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) and "offers" of security against WBC from the Hell's Angels.

Incredible incident and aftermath.
    "Many times, I have thoughts and feelings which can only be expressed through dance!" - Bender, Futurama

"Ranking right up there with 'No good deed goes unpunished' are:

'Sooner or later, we just might outlive our usefulness to others' and...

'Sometimes it's very possible to push the most loving and loyal person, beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t'"
    - Yours truly

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieth M. View Post
    Hey all - I spent yesterday atttending a debrief of the Jan. 8, 2011 Tucson, AZ shooting incident. Needless to say, if you have an opportunity to see and hear this presentation done by Pima Co. SD Captains Frank Duarte & Byron Gwaltney, and Pima Co. FD Battalion Chief Lane Spalla and Capt. Robert Lozano, DO NOT MISS IT.
    Kieth, is there a civilian version that could help us be more alert, more prepared, without giving up important tactical information to the garbage among us?

As you may remember, six lives were lost. The E/R doc credited Immediate First Aid Kits (IFAK's) carried and utilized by Pima County Deputies (prior to the arrival of paramedics) with saving three lives.
    Huge kudos to the rescue system down there, but still, it's sad how many have forgotten the six killed and how many injured.

...which had (for lack of a better term) "threats" of disruption by Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) and "offers" of security against WBC from the Hell's Angels.
    "...which had (for lack of a better term) "threats" of disruption by Westboro Baptist Church (POS) and "offers" of security against POS from the Hell's Angels.

There, fixed it for ya!

Much as my rational side sees the obvious problems with the Hell's Angels' generous offer, it would be nice to see this scum erased.

Quote Originally Posted by MargeGunderson View Post
    Kieth, is there a civilian version that could help us be more alert, more prepared, without giving up important tactical information to the garbage among us?
    Not to my knowledge. These guys have to stick to the tactical and response issues, because the turd hasn't gone to trial. There's nothing more Jared Loughner's attorney would love than to plant an investigator in the crowd and wait for the presenters to talk smack about him. They couldn't even mention his name in their presentation.
    "Many times, I have thoughts and feelings which can only be expressed through dance!" - Bender, Futurama

'Sometimes it's very possible to push the most loving and loyal person, beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t'"
    - Yours truly

Forum Member
    Thanks Kieth, I passed on the info about the Immediate First Aid Kits (IFAK's) to my Chief today.
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Matt View Post
    Thanks Kieth, I passed on the info about the Immediate First Aid Kits (IFAK's) to my Chief today.
    If your department is involved with the DLA (Defense surplus to LE agencies) they often have IFAK's (Trauma kits).

- Yours truly

Forum Member
    No we are not using any grant programs.
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Matt View Post
    No we are not using any grant programs.
    Not a grant program. DLA (formerly known as DRMO) is the Defense Department's program to put weapons, and outdated, surplus gear and vehicles into the hands of cash-strapped law enforcement agencies. It's all free. I've obtained trauma kits, sunglasses, cold weather gear, (new in box) boots, Aimpoint CompM4 sights, all sorts of goodies.

- Yours truly

Civillian
    Quote Originally Posted by MargeGunderson View Post
    Check your local jurisdictions for any type of citizen police academy. Also, look up the red cross and see what classes they offer. I think everyone should learn first aid/cpr.

Our local police department also offers CERT (Community Emergency Response Team). It sounds cooler than it is. It's just FEMA approved emergency preparedness training. Here's an example of what it covers:

The CERT training consists of 25 hours of instruction over a ten week period. Classes are taught by emergency responders, including police officers, firefighters, emergency medical and trained emergency volunteers from our community. The course includes the following:

Disaster Preparedness - Introduction to disasters specific to the community, and the impact of disasters on infrastructure.

Disaster Fire Suppression - Identifying and reducing potential fire hazards and basic fire suppression.

Disaster Medical Operations Part 1 - Treatment strategies for life-threatening conditions and principle of triage.

Disaster Medical Operations Part 2 - Head-to-toe patient assessment and treatment for various injuries.

CPR Training - The updated CPR procedures will be demonstrated.

Light Search and Rescue Operations - Techniques for sizing up and searching, lifting, cribbing and removing victims, rescue safety.

CERT Organization - Identifying the CERT Organization and how CERT relates to the Incident Command System, Explain the importance of documentation.

Disaster Psychology - The post disaster emotional environment will be discussed.

Terrorism and CERT - A brief overview of terrorism weapons. Identifying targets in an area and discuss time/ distance/ shielding.

Final Exercise - Disaster simulation realistic to your community. This will be a hands-on class participation exercise.

My work is done here

The shooting incident itself was a monumental task made easir by frequent disaster drills. In the days which followed, however, this same department had to provide security for Senators, cabinet officials, and POTUS for various events, which had (for lack of a better term) "threats" of disruption by Westboro Baptist Church (WBC) and "offers" of security against WBC from the Hell's Angels.

Incredible incident and aftermath.

Pretty awesome that they haven't givien us any info at all on this.....
    Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Quote Originally Posted by Chiller View Post
    Pretty awesome that they haven't givien us any info at all on this.....
    Who is the "they" you speak of?

- Yours truly

My work is done here
    Who is the "they" you speak of?

Well seeing we protect them here in DC on a daily basis....they we is MY dept
    Just shut your damn hole

Quote Originally Posted by Chiller View Post
    Well seeing we protect them here in DC on a daily basis....they we is MY dept
    Okay, your post might have looked like you were PO'ed at Pima County, for not sharing info with your department.

You might make your bosses aware that Pima Co. SD/FD are making this presentation and see about flying those guys out. They're pretty much committed to going anywhere, and they say anywhere to give their talk.

- Yours truly

My work is done here
    Okay, your post might have looked like you were PO'ed at Pima County, for not sharing info with your department.

You might make your bosses aware that Pima Co. SD/FD are making this presentation and see about flying those guys out. They're pretty much committed to going anywhere, and they say anywhere to give their talk.

I will check into it...My guess is we(dept) is aware of it but........
    Just shut your damn hole

Ready 4 Zombie Apocalypse
    If your department is involved with the DLA (Defense surplus to LE agencies) they often have IFAK's (Trauma kits).
    Do you have a link for this?
    The only time you can have too much ammunition is when you're swimming or on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Danny216 View Post
    Do you have a link for this?
    Stand by for a PM.

- Yours truly