Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Active Shooter bag

Forum Member

Active Shooter bag

I know there have been a thousand threads about this, but im moving to a patrol area and need one, unfortunately on a budget.

I was thinking of Maxpedition GTG versipack, Tactical medicine downed operator pack, chemlites to mark ieds, small prybar, maxpedition 12 rnd shotgun shell holder, handwarmers, gloves, balaclava, energy bars, spare flashlight.

I dont have access to a rifle, we cant carry more pistol ammo, thus stash of 12 g shells, any more suggestions?? Has anyone got one of these bags?

Bear in mind also please I need places that will ship to Canada.
    "Well, I never had an invisible friend when I was young, but I'm sure that if I did, it would be Constable Smiley."

Forum Member

For an active shooter bag, I like this one:
    http://www.shop.21stcenturyfirearms....Black-8337.htm

More info here:
    http://www.originalsoegear.com/12gamicro.html

This one gives you 24 rounds of ammo, the downed operator pack will fit in the 6x6 utility pouch, there are elastic loops that were originally sized for smoke grenades, and other small goodies can go into the admin pouch on the back.

Most of the "active shooter bags" out seem too bulky to me, ready to be stuffed to the gills with crap you don't really need. To my way of thinking, you will probably have the gloves and stuff at hand for the prevailing weather. If you're going to need energy bars/water, you've gone from "active shooter" to "perimeter containment". If I'm responding to an AS, all I want to grab (with my long gun) is ammo and BOK. My energy bars are in a pouch on my Camelbak.......if I'm going to need them, I will have a little time to suit up appropriately.

Just my thoughts.
    "It is better to avoid than to fight, better to deter than to kill. But.....it is better to kill than to die, or watch an innocent slaughtered, because you didn't have the wherewithal to defend them." - M. A.

"We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation-to make a point-than to further the cause of truth."-Edgar Allan Poe(1809-1849)

Sheepdog
    To echo what Sotex has stated, regarding kit you'll need for AS, I want to add my .02

I use the KISS format. Responding to an AS means you're locating, closing with and engaging someone in combat. So keep the kit inline with that mentality. Rounds, rounds and more rounds, for each weapon system you may be utilizing. Plus maybe a flash bang or 3 and some flashlights. Now since the role of contact team may change during the initial push into the AO, to that of a search team, I also like to have a thick black permanent marker for marking cleared areas, a small pry bar and door chocks.

For this role, I use the 5.11 Bail Out Bag shoulder bag here:

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...l-Out-Bag.html
    Went to Get a Cold Pop

Sworn without a Squad

I have this and love it.

I work in the schools a LOT. This goes in my ride everyday. Holds plenty of mags both rifle and pistol. Plus room in the middle pouch for for a GSW blowout kit. Worth way more than the price of it.

Hawkepaks is great stuff. Highly underrated.

http://www.hawkepaks.com/prod.itml/icOid/219

Check out their Quick and Dirty line too.
    Last edited by gotuonpaper; 10-24-2011 at 11:01 PM.

Civillian
    Pardon my being nosy, Eastside... Is there a particular reason why you aren't allowed to carry additional pistol ammo?
    1911user likes this.

RIP Seann1
    Quote Originally Posted by gotuonpaper View Post
    I work in the schools a LOT. This goes in my ride everyday. Holds plenty of mags both rifle and pistol. Plus room in the middle pouch for for a GSW blowout kit. Worth way more than the price of it. Hawkepaks is great stuff. Highly underrated.http://www.hawkepaks.com/prod.itml/icOid/219Check out their Quick and Dirty line too.
    We equip all vehicles with those Hawkepaks. Very reasonable price and better than nothing.

A L L H A V E G I V E N S O M E,  B U T S O M E H A V E G I V E N A L L

Forum Member

Gents,
    The 5.11 and Hawkepaks are great gear, but please bear in mind that the OP specifically stated he needed to carry shotgun ammo, not rifle mags.
    "It is better to avoid than to fight, better to deter than to kill. But.....it is better to kill than to die, or watch an innocent slaughtered, because you didn't have the wherewithal to defend them." - M. A.

"We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation-to make a point-than to further the cause of truth."-Edgar Allan Poe(1809-1849)

Sheepdog
    The good ol' days....
    Went to Get a Cold Pop

I ♥ my GLOCK
    I'd throw a few pairs of flexicuffs in there for fun. And those poncho villa style shotgun shell holders came in handy when a gunman walked into my old high school a few years ago.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Equal Height Equal Light

Quote Originally Posted by ShantyIrish View Post
    The good ol' days....
    Good 'ol days? I keep that same bandolier behind the passenger-side headrest on every shift. Half buck, half slug.

One time, a turd in the back asked me about "the blue ones"; I advised him that they are blue raspberry-flavored.
    Last edited by Chomp; 10-26-2011 at 08:45 PM.

Sheepdog
    "The good ol days" BEFORE I was issued other cool long guns...and all the ammo that goes with them. Maybe I should have said "the simpler days". And my partner and I actually each have our own bandoleers in our bag o' goodies....
    Last edited by ShantyIrish; 10-26-2011 at 11:58 PM.
    Went to Get a Cold Pop

Forum Member
    Thanks for the help guys,
    The extra ammo thing here is down to policy, only issued ammo allowed, which is 45 rounds of .40 cal, and then whats on the shotty. However well isn't policy a guideline??

I think the bandoleers are a good idea, but if I was seen to deploy with one of those here I'd be crucified literally.

It was my fault saying active shooter bag, its more of a combo bag, here temps can go down to the -30's easily during winter, however we normally wear all of the clothing needed, but in those temps during containment its horrendous.
    "Well, I never had an invisible friend when I was young, but I'm sure that if I did, it would be Constable Smiley."

Sworn without a Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Sotex View Post
    Gents,
    The 5.11 and Hawkepaks are great gear, but please bear in mind that the OP specifically stated he needed to carry shotgun ammo, not rifle mags.
    Hawkepaks makes shell holders for their packs.

Forum Member
    I carry the S.O. Tech Mission Go Bag. It is about $80. Worth the money. I carry extra Glock mag, 1st aid kit, flex cuffs, and more. It also has sevral ways to carry it. I have the bag so I can carry it around me waist. I does not interfere with my radio, O.C., baton or Taser when I carry it. Great bag.

Banned

When I took the Active Shooter Instructor Course at FLETC this summer, someone asked a question about these "active shooter kits" and they said their a waste of money really....What do you guys think?...

Forum Member
    I don't think so. I have one for an active shooter. However, while outing it together I have turned it into a bag for almost everything. Pretty much any type of emergency I can use the bag, even a riots. All I am missing is water and some type of power bar in case I am on a perimeter for a few hours. I have to admit, it does sit in my car every shift. I guess I rather have and not need it then need it and not have it.

Banned

They told us an "active shooter" bag should have extra flexi-cuffs, a few fruit bars, a magazine or 2 of ammo and a few chemlites....pretty much your normal duty bag....As a MP, I carried that stuff (aside from extra ammo) all the time....you never knew when you would be stuck on a crime scene or some other crap for hours on end....got stuck on a nasty domestic crime scene once for 6 additional hours, glad I had that stuff......also got stuck running around a housing area once with game warden and animal control tracking down a suspected mountian lion too, that we never found by the way....I just dont see spending the money on a bag like that when you just throw some of the extra crap in your duty bag and be done with it.

Sheepdog
    In my opinion and that of some guys on my team is this:

You can grab ONE, single bag that has everything you need to go into combat: rounds and tools. And GO. Time is of the essence when you pull up to an active shooter scene. The stress you will be experiencing will be nothing like you've ever felt before. People are dying, you have to stop that. Get your long gun out if you're blessed enough to have one, grab your bag and go!!!

Is now the time to go looking for your spare AR mags, or pistol mags, from your duty bag? Then go to the trunk and get your pry bar/flex cuffs. If you don't have a bag pre-staged, hopefully near your rifle/shotgun, it will take too long. What will you carry your spare ammo in? Remember, you are going into armed combat for God knows how long. More people will die.
    Went to Get a Cold Pop

Caution: Unvetted member.
    I've turned my external vest carrier with IIIA armor into a active shooter gear. The many pockets are loaded with extra buckshot rounds, a mirror that snaps onto my ASP, pocket-size first aid kit, military trauma dressings, large folding knife, flashlight, spare restraints, spit hood, shooting and vinyl gloves, safety glasses, 10-12 feet of paracord, notebook and pencil, large piece of children's sidewalk chalk, snickers bars, a couple of those coast guard approved water ration things, and whatever else I can find at the moment.

I just have to get the back of my explorer and put it on.
    Last edited by KenW.; 11-02-2011 at 11:28 AM.
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Forum Member

I would find a way to carry the extra ammo. I personally carry 2 extra mags in my bag.

My active shooter bag is my everyday bag

I have the LA police gear brand bag. (Held up great 3 years so far)
    2 Mags (13rnds each)
    Flex Cuffs + cutter
    Extra pair of normal cuffs
    Extra batteries for flashlight / Weapon Light (Both Surefire)
    Quickclot
    Knife
    2 spare radio batteries
    Glock tool
    Radio Earpiece
    A few 5hr Energy's
    Hand Sanitizer
    Small pack of lysol wipes
    Pens and a pad

I'd like to add chem lites and also some handwarmers. (good ideas from this thread)

One man Wolfpack
    I used to have a bail bag, but now just have my level4 plate carrier set up with everything. The bag was always in the way, and I spend enough time up armored that I do not even notice it.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Forum Member

Waste of money. I've deployed my rifle numerous times and have been in an active shooter OIS. I didn't have time to grab anything but my rifle and go.

What I do recommend for those that get rifles is a drop leg pouch for extra mags. Keep a buckle on your uniform belt (under the duty belt with the buckle sticking out). Keep the pouch in the trunk next to the rifle. If you have the coin I have seem some pretty good plate carrier set ups. But if you have a true active shooter you're not gonna need a candy bar or flex cuffs. The point of all active shooter training is to form a team an engage the target immediately. Not make arrests, not form a permitter, and not even tend to the victims. You don't want a 20 pound versipak putting you off balance on in a shoot out.

I have some of those cool bags, including a versipak, and they all end up collecting dust in the garage.

Forum Member
    I have a Hawkepak ITOA as my "Active Shooter" bag with nothing but extra ammo in it for deployment in my school if I need extra ammo. In an ideal situation if I have enough time to grab it as well as my Sig 556, that would be great. But most times, it's just me and my Glock 21.

The ITOA bag has 2 extra 556 mags in the outside pouches, 2 spare G21 mags inside, 1 combat tourniquet, and Quikclot packs. Ideally I would like to have additional ammo eventually. My "Go Bag" which I keep in my patrol SUV for patrol operations has a Keltec PF9 w/ spare mag (until I get my Glock 36), 2 extra 556 rounds, 1 spare G21 mag, spare LED flashlight, spare .45 ammo, spare 12ga shells, 1 combat tourniquet, Quikclot packs, spare folding knife, chem light, colored sharpie pens, and that is all for now.
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Caution: Unvetted member.
    Do you work in Bengazi?
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

RIP Seann1
    Nothing wrong with being prepared.

Since my post above I've switched to a Shellback Tactical Banshee Plate Carrier with hard armor for common III/IV threats. It holds 3 rifle mags and med kit. I pull over before I reach a scene and throw it on as needed.

I keep the back slick so I can throw on a backpack, currently a 5.11 Rush 12, if I'm going on a perimeter or barricade. Has seasonal comfort gear, water, spare batteries, 2 extra rifle and pistol mags, and extra med gear.

A L L H A V E G I V E N S O M E,  B U T S O M E H A V E G I V E N A L L

Page 1 of 2 12 Last