Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Off-Duty Gun

Forum Member

Off-Duty Gun

So I'm nearing the end of the academy with my graduation in less than two months and TCLEOSE test next week and I have been searching for the gun I want to carry off-duty. I thought about the glock 26 since I'll have the 17 as a duty weapon, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions? Anything to stay away from?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade806 View Post
    So I'm nearing the end of the academy with my graduation in less than two months and TCLEOSE test next week and I have been searching for the gun I want to carry off-duty. I thought about the glock 26 since I'll have the 17 as a duty weapon, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions? Anything to stay away from?
    I'd shot it first. I have a 27 and don't much care for it. It's just too small a grip for me. I could get a +2 extension but than again I might just as well just get a 23. Of course check policy and if you do buy a Glock, be sure you get blue label price.

Traveling Man
    I have been carrying a Glock 26 for 4 years and love it. However, I also want an LCP.
    1*

Caution: Unvetted member.
    I'm an advocate of using a compact or subcompact version of your duty weapon. Same controls, manual of arms, and chacteristics, etc.

Example: When I carried a 5" 1911, I had a 3" for BUG and off duty. Same with my XD. A Fullsize on duty and a subcompact for off.

OR you may choose a good revolver. They always go BANG when you need it to.
    Catfish56 likes this.
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KenW. View Post
    +1

I love my 357

Forum Member

I'm an advocate of using a compact or subcompact version of your duty weapon. Same controls, manual of arms, and chacteristics, etc.

Example: When I carried a 5" 1911, I had a 3" for BUG and off duty. Same with my XD. A Fullsize on duty and a subcompact for off.

I have an XD40 now. Which XD subcompact did you use?

Forum Member

A G26 would be a great choice for you. Being able to use the same magazines, ammo, and a lot of times holsters between you duty and off-duty weapon are wonderful advantages. If, God forbid, SHTF you would have a much better chance of having extra ammo near by you, and most likely already loaded into mags that will work in either weapon. Not to mention the mechanics and muscle memory will be nearly identicle for each weapon.

Forum Member

This is kinda what I'm lookin' at. I don't have extensive firearms experience, and the only gun I know well at all is my M&P .40. So I think I'm gonna try out the compact version for off-duty. However, I'm not married to S&W or anything. Maybe a Glock or an XD would feel similar enough?

Forum Member

Carry your issued gun.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo321 View Post
    Carry your issued gun.
    It seems kinda big for concealed carry. I've never carried before, so I don't really know how it's gonna work as far as keeping it concealed. I'd like to not have to change my wardrobe considerably.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 13MWZ View Post
    A G26 would be a great choice for you. Being able to use the same magazines, ammo, and a lot of times holsters between you duty and off-duty weapon are wonderful advantages. If, God forbid, SHTF you would have a much better chance of having extra ammo near by you, and most likely already loaded into mags that will work in either weapon. Not to mention the mechanics and muscle memory will be nearly identicle for each weapon.
    I've been through two police academies and both times, they stress to carry the same weapon or a compact of the same model. You revert to your training under stress. You don't want to be fumbling for the magazine release in a stressful situation or not be used to the sights and/or trigger pull. I carry a Beretta 96D on duty and an H&K P2000 off duty. Many times I have fumbled during magazine changes while qualifying.....and that's not even under stress! The number one things is carry what you are allowed to by policy.

P.S. I used to carry the H&K P2000 as my duty weapon while I was on bike patrol and for a little while after that due to its smaller and lighter size. I'm going back to a Glock 23 Gen 4 when ever it gets here. I carried one(G23 gen 2 or 3) several years ago and feel it is time to go back. I will be able to carry that off duty if I so desire.

Forum Member

IMHO, stick to the same caliber handgun for duty and off-duty. Hate to grab a mag of the wrong ammo should you really need it. Can't go wrong with an M&P 40c Compact for off-duty btw...
    usmc_mp5811 likes this.

I ♥ my GLOCK

What he said, but I would venture to say that it doesn't even have to be a sub compact version of your duty weapon, but more or less a weapon with the similar controls.

For example, I carry a Glock 37 on duty and either a Glock 30 or Kahr K40. A Glock is a Glock, no matter what calliber or size, if you can shoot one you can shoot them all. And a Kahr works just like a Glock. So I'm good there. The only thing I have to remember is I can't milk the trigger on my Karh, like the Glock. I also carry a S&W 642 sometimes, thats taken some practice, but once you can reload its not that bad.

My biggest issue is carrying a weapon with any form of manual safety. I can't do it. I tried to carry a 1911 for a few months, and it gave me a complex. Finally I traded it in for the Kahr. I couldn't train myself to draw and disengage that safety....I'm so used to my Glock.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Forum Member

Well, I ended up getting an XD9. It was a little bit of impulse buy, but it was the same price as the M&P compact, and it felt good. Also it came with a holster, mag holder, speed loader and a mail-in rebate for 3 extra magazines. It feels familiar enough compared to my M&P. Like you said, I didn't want anything with a manual safety or decocker or anything I wasn't familiar with. It has a grip safety and a integrated trigger safety, but that's not something I really have to think about.

I have three XDs, and cannot bring myself to use that junky XD Gear holster. A person spends several hundred dollars on a pistol he stakes his life on, and uses a $3 plastic holster?

OOPS! Wait, it wasn't $3, it was FREE with the gun.

Do yourself a favor and get a real holster and a gun belt for true defensive carry. The XD holster fills a niche as a range holster maybe. . You will not regret it.
    Last edited by KenW.; 10-19-2011 at 10:47 PM.
    NAVYATOR likes this.
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Forum Member

Already bought a leather holster for IWB. I honestly didn't really look closely at the plastic holster. That crappy, huh?

Wear it around for a day. Make your own decision.

Douglas MacArthur

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangler81 View Post
    IMHO, stick to the same caliber handgun for duty and off-duty. Hate to grab a mag of the wrong ammo should you really need it. Can't go wrong with an M&P 40c Compact for off-duty btw...
    Thanks for the advice guys. G26 is really stressed by our Sgt. so it's probably what I'll end up with, but it's nice to keep my options open.

Forum Member

I carry a G22 on duty and bought a G23 based on some bad advice. I have a G27 that I shoot 100 times better then by G23. I just sold the 23 as a matter of fact and I am shopping for a G19. Go with what feels the best in your hand and that you shoot best with.

Forum Member

My dad carried a Glock 26 and he has the same basic physical setup as me, and I'll have him to train me on it. Benefit is that the DC Police (where I'll be entering) uses the Glock 17 & their higher-ups use the G26 as their concealed weapon. Find out what your force is going to be using, then find something that has the same basic functions as your service weapon. Also, having the same ammo is a big help too. That's what my pops told me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by careerchange#2 View Post
    I carry a G22 on duty and bought a G23 based on some bad advice. I have a G27 that I shoot 100 times better then by G23. I just sold the 23 as a matter of fact and I am shopping for a G19. Go with what feels the best in your hand and that you shoot best with.
    Have you dealt with the G26? If so, do you enjoy it?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade806 View Post
    I have a G26 that I carry frequently. My duty weapon is a G22 (.40 cal) and I prefer the 9mm for off duty carry. I had a G27 for a spell, but the .40 is difficult for me to shoot in a sub compact; I had to have the finger extension. However, with the 26 I have no problems shooting/controlling it as it is, without a finger extension.

Forum Member
    I have three XDs, and cannot bring myself to use that junky XD Gear holster. A person spends several hundred dollars on a pistol he stakes his life on, and uses a $3 plastic holster?

OOPS! Wait, it wasn't $3, it was FREE with the gun.

Do yourself a favor and get a real holster and a gun belt for true defensive carry. The XD holster fills a niche as a range holster maybe. . You will not regret it.
    Amen, that holster is a big giant turd. For IWB I prefer Crossbreed holsters.

Forum Member
    I understand the concept of carry your duty weapon or a CC version of it. However, if there is a gun that you rather carry because of comfort, or ease of concealment, or.... then take it upon yourself to make sure you are just as proficient with that weapon as you are with your duty weapon.

jeremy.ball.01
    Quote Originally Posted by adeutch View Post
    It seems kinda big for concealed carry. I've never carried before, so I don't really know how it's gonna work as far as keeping it concealed. I'd like to not have to change my wardrobe considerably.
    I have a buddy that carries his service pistol. You really don't notice the difference between a fullsize and sub. Yeah they are a little heavier, but chances are you have lots of training on your service pistol and you will know how to use it when it counts.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last